Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read this? I didn't even consider it and happened to catch her on Oprah while I was folding laundry last night and it has peaked my interest. What a strong, resilient ;) woman. She seems to be quite a writer too.

I should pick up the sample and see if it grabs me although I'm not sure I'm up to reading about the loss of her son...

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I pre-ordered yesterday and have it on my Kindle now. Haven't started it yet. I read her previous book Saving Graces and liked it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts

I pre-ordered and read it today in about 3 hours, just finished it. Elizabeth Edward's is an amazing, courageous woman filled with grace. This book was filled with raw emotions, grief, fear, anger, love. I found it to be moving and an inspiration. I think in spite of all the adversity in their lives theirs is a true love story. I will read it again. I thought Resilience was better than Saving Graces, I imagine that is due to the fact she is at a different stage in her life. I certainly wish her the very best.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
KindleMom said:
Has anyone read this? I didn't even consider it and happened to catch her on Oprah while I was folding laundry last night and it has peaked my interest. What a strong, resilient ;) woman. She seems to be quite a writer too.

I should pick up the sample and see if it grabs me although I'm not sure I'm up to reading about the loss of her son...

I started reading it last night and she doesn't dwell on her son's death as Saving Graces did. It's more about facing changes when nothing is the same as before (particularly after she learns of her husband's infidelity). Well, that's my take after about 3 chapters. Very good writing.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
mlewis78 said:
I started reading it last night and she doesn't dwell on her son's death as Saving Graces did. It's more about facing changes when nothing is the same as before (particularly after she learns of her husband's infidelity). Well, that's my take after about 3 chapters. Very good writing.
I take back what I wrote after reading just a couple of more chapters -- quite a bit in here about her son Wade. I won't say another word, at least until the book is finished Still very well written, I must say.

There are some glaring kindle typos. Every time she uses the word "flight" is is on the kindle page as "fight".

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think she's quite a woman but can't say what I fully think about why she's a great woman since it violates the rule of only seeing the world through rose colored glasses and only saying things that are sweet and loving about everything regardless of what's true in the real world... so I think she's quite a woman.

·
Registered
224 Posts
^^kinda funny

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
LDB said:
I think she's quite a woman but can't say what I fully think about why she's a great woman since it violates the rule of only seeing the world through rose colored glasses and only saying things that are sweet and loving about everything regardless of what's true in the real world... so I think she's quite a woman.
??? I don't understand what you are getting at here. Are you referring to the rule of kindleboards?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
mlewis78 said:
??? I don't understand what you are getting at here. Are you referring to the rule of kindleboards?
Perhaps he is attempting to turn this thread into a political discussion or bashing which it definitely isn't. It is about the wife of a man who happens to be a politician. Like many women in America she faces the loss of a child at 16, the diagnosis of breast cancer and thinking she has it beat only to be told it has metastasized and indiscretion on the part of a man she has loved for well over 30 years. Like I said, what many women in America deal with but she is in the spotlight because of who she is. It is a wonderful book for women probably more so than men. It is beautifully written.

MLewis there are some things we will never all agree on, religion, politics to name a couple and that is why we attempt to avoid those discussions here. I am sure there are plenty of forums out there for discussing either. Harvey wants this to be a place to hang out and discuss our passion for books and reading and a fun place to hang out. I think if you read Forum Decorum you can read more about religion and politics. I hope this helps. :) We don't look at everything through rose colored glasses but we do try to keep it pleasant here for all by avoiding topics that we have learned through experience can turn into a real brouhaha that doesn't benefit anyone.

A great book and as I previously posted one I will read again for the life lessons in it.

Linda

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Moderator Betsy here:

No problem talking about facts (and I think anything that Mrs. Edwards states in her book can be considered a fact for the purposes of this discussion). Just let's discuss them without name calling of either the individuals involved or each other, please. There are good ways to discuss difficult subjects and not-as-good ways. ;D I've seen both here at KindleBoards, let's take the high road.

I watched the Oprah interview. As difficult as it would be to deal with a philandering husband, how much worse to do it with millions of eyes watching. Once again I was thankful that I am not famous, except in my own mind. Kudos to Elizabeth for refusing to be defined by it.

Betsy

(Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti's wife Ashley Judd is modeling my moderator's hat today in honor of Indy 500 qualifying.)

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
It is a wonderful book for women probably more so than men.
Perhaps men may have wanted to see her strike out at John Edwards over his affair with videographer Rielle Hunter but, speaking as a man, I have no difficulty empathizing with Elizabeth Edwards or recognizing that she's a remarkable person.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I agree Jeff and think it would be helpful for any couple or a man who has lost a child, has a wife with breast cancer or dealt with indiscretion in a marriage. Remarkably she kept the way they handled the Rielle Hunter incident private for the most. Her name is never mentioned in the book but for all of us women that have had a husband ( edited to add EX husband, I wasn't as forgiving :D) cheat on us she does a wonderful job of explaining how your life will never be the same. I like the life lesson because for all of us life is ever changing due to different circumstances and the cards we are dealt. The book is basically about changes in life.

A book she mentioned that I want to read is Only Spring about a man losing his 6 year old son to leukemia.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Not trying to start any major political debate. I wanted to say he's a bum for doing that while she was sick with cancer, and I suspect nobody would disagree or be offended, but even something as basic as that is over the line apparently. I have no problem with limits but think there should be a modicum of leeway as well as perfectly even requirement of posting policies, neither of which happens.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
I think you can safely make that comment about Edwards ,LDB.

We probably have our radar turned up a bit with you lately, as some of your posts can lean toward political elbow-throwing. But your comment about John Edwards in your latest post is in-bounds.

Regarding the last clause in your post... we try to apply moderation on both sides of issues. You probably don't notice when we moderate out the left-wing inflammatory posts, whereas it's immediately noticeable to you when your own posts are moderated.

As you'll recall, in our earlier months we had some strong left-wing inflamers, and they similarly felt unfairly treated by our moderation efforts. I guess we're doing our job if both political sides take occasional umbrage at our moderation attempts.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
OK.  I understand now and found LDB's comments in this thread not offensive.  Many on the left agree with LDB about J. Edwards.

I finished the book on the train this afternoon.  It was a valuable read to me, but I've got to say that it was hard to read about EE's loss of her son again.  It was all in the previous book.  I didn't skip anything because I thought it might affect my reading of the rest of the book. 

Some may disagree with this observation, but EE wrote about half the book about her son Wade and saved the indiscretion part until the last 1/8th (or less) of the book.  The balance was about her personal experience with cancer.  I'm using the dots at the bottom of the kindle as a guide to this.

Oprah was very pleased with her interview, but she only asked Mrs. Edwards about the infidelity and its effects on her, so I was led to believe that it was the main theme of the book.  At the end of the interview I felt that Oprah should have asked her what she is doing NOW.  In the book, Mrs. Edwards describes one of the things she is doing that is all her own and not like all her other work that was shared with the Mr.

In my opinion, Mr. E came out in the book relatively unscathed.  It definitely was not  revenge or bashing.  I don't think that she has that in her for sharing with the public.

Marti

·
Registered
501 Posts
mlewis78 said:
In my opinion, Mr. E came out in the book relatively unscathed. It definitely was not revenge or bashing. I don't think that she has that in her for sharing with the public.

Marti
Glad to hear this, as my first thought was for their young children, who likely will lose their mother to what was termed "terminal cancer." It would be a shame for their mother's legacy to be one of bitterness and vengeance for their father's failings. Oprah's interview touched on the many difficulties in Elizabeth's life, but most of the hour was spent on John's affair.

I may read this, after all.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I think EE realizes her time here is short. She also loves her husband very much and stated in her interview she wanted to be able to erase JE's pain and suffering caused by his actions. I admire and respect her. She is a classy lady that took the high road for preservation of her family.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts