Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
Seconded.

For anyone who does this bumping, its spam on the unread posts list, and pretty well means I ignore your books. If it was possible to ignore your username to get rid of the continual posts, I would have already. Alas, we cant do this.


I know we're all trying to sell books, but there are several books using words I find extremely unwanted on my thread list. And there are several character names I'm coming to hate simply because they are rammed down our throats so regularly.

What happened to 1 thread per series? Now we get dozens of book threads for the same series, rebooted every week. It's extremely annoying.


New owners - clean up on isle 1 please.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Folks,

Let's keep it civil when making these kinds of requests.  There's no need to attack each other, thanks.

This is something we've been discussing, and are planning on implementing--we got kind of distracted this summer.

One thread per series is at the option of the author, at least for now.  That's certainly something we will discuss.

Betsy
KB Mod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
One thread per series is at the option of the author, at least for now. That's certainly something we will discuss.
Not when I last tried to do more than a series thread it wasn't. I was told by a mod to only have a single series thread. That was a couple of years ago, and maybe you changed and I didn't notice it.

Betsy the Quilter said:
Let's keep it civil when making these kinds of requests. There's no need to attack each other, thanks.
No-one is attacking anyone. We're just sick of the constant spam.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,248 Posts
In fact we have been informing folks who have many books to limit daily bumps to 5 threads a day. When we see more than that, we send a PM and if it doesn't stop we'll delete extra threads without comment -- as we tell them in the PM. Because we're all volunteers and not all on line all the time -- and because I'm the one who does the most in the bazaar and I've been on vacation for the last week, the best thing is to send a report to let us know specifically which authors are bumping too often or too many.

Betsy is accurate as to our policy on book/series threads. You may have one thread per book, or one thread per series, but you can't have a thread for the series and ALSO a thread for each book. Of course if you have multiple separate series, you may have a thread for each of those. This has not changed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
I've been making a small contribution to this, 5 threads rather than 10 and not consistently bumped each week.  I hear what's being said, so I'll change to a series post in future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
CMH said:
I've been making a small contribution to this, 5 threads rather than 10 and not consistently bumped each week. I hear what's being said, so I'll change to a series post in future.
Do these posts even work? Seem like a lot of work to bump them. Do they actually generate sales or reads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
Another thought to add to the moderator discussion:

5 at a time might seem fine, as long as its not 5 a day, or even 5 every couple of days.


Perhaps a limit of 1 bumping run a month, max of 5 at the time? Preferably 1 series bump per month.


There has to be both kinds of checks, max per day, and how often it can be done. Otherwise people with large catalogs can still spam 5 a day, every day.


Just putting it in the mix for mod discussion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
TimothyEllis said:
Do these posts even work? Seem like a lot of work to bump them. Do they actually generate sales or reads?
Sometimes seems to be an uptick in reads for a couple of days afterwards.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,248 Posts
CMH said:
I've been making a small contribution to this, 5 threads rather than 10 and not consistently bumped each week. I hear what's being said, so I'll change to a series post in future.
You're fine, CMH -- I did see that you'd done 5 at a time. We're good with that -- please feel free to do 5 other ones a different day, The key is don't bump any one post more often than once a week.

For those with more than 5 books, this actually gives you MORE visibility than just bumping a dozen or so all at once. Yeah, it's a little more work on YOUR part -- paying attention to when you've bumped each thread, but shouldn't be too onerous.

Do keep in mind that the posting of book promo threds in the Bazaar is a FREE service we offer and the point of it is to provide readers a place to find new books as much as it is to let authors have a free advert. :) Given that, variety in the Bazaar is of high value. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
You're fine, CMH -- I did see that you'd done 5 at a time. We're good with that -- please feel free to do 5 other ones a different day, The key is don't bump any one post more often than once a week.

For those with more than 5 books, this actually gives you MORE visibility than just bumping a dozen or so all at once. Yeah, it's a little more work on YOUR part -- paying attention to when you've bumped each thread, but shouldn't be too onerous.
:eek: :( ??? :-[ :-X :-\ :'(

Fine. I give up. I have 39 books. I'll start creating single book threads immediately, and post five of them every day. Cant beat em, join em!

Once everyone else knows its fine to do, the daily thread pages will rapidly go from 2 to 20, mainly spam. We'll learn to love it.

(Where's the puke smilie?)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Timothy,

You are certainly within your rights to have threads for all of your books. However, please stop calling posts which are according to forum rules "spam." I asked that you stop attacking members after your first post in this thread. It's possible to have a discussion without insulting your fellow members.

If your concern, as you mentioned in your first post in this thread, is your list of unread posts, you can work around that to omit the Book Bazaar from unread posts. Create a bookmark for a link similar to this:
https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unread;boards=1,2,4,8,9,10,54,56,60
Where the numbers represent boards here.

Or similarly, for new replies to your posts:
https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies;boards=60

Each board on KBoards has a number that you can see in the URL. The Writers' Cafe is 60. Put the boards you want to see in the list. I have a link in the bookmark bar on my browser so that it's still a one-click process for me--and better actually than the link at the top of the page since I don't have to scroll on the page to see it.

I think you've made your point in this thread, please move on since you seem to be unable to dial down the snark and have a civil discussion on this issue.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
You are certainly within your rights to have threads for all of your books. However, please stop calling posts which are according to forum rules "spam." I asked that you stop attacking members after your first post in this thread. It's possible to have a discussion without insulting your fellow members.

If your concern, as you mentioned in your first post in this thread, is your list of unread posts, you can work around that to omit the Book Bazaar from unread posts. Create a bookmark for a link similar to this:
https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unread;boards=1,2,4,8,9,10,54,56,60
Where the numbers represent boards here.

Or similarly, for new replies to your posts:
https://www.kboards.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies;boards=60

Each board on KBoards has a number that you can see in the URL. The Writers' Cafe is 60. Put the boards you want to see in the list. I have a link in the bookmark bar on my browser so that it's still a one-click process for me--and better actually than the link at the top since I don't have to scroll on the page to see it.

I think you've made your point in this thread, please move on since you seem to be unable to dial down the snark and have a civil discussion on this issue.
I've never seen any of that before. Is it documented somewhere?

Obviously we have a different definition of spam. When I see the same ad threads all the time, I call it spam. Same as the emails I get which are all the same, all the time, are spam. Any advertisement anywhere, which you see so often it starts to irritate you, is by definition spam.

Moving on.....

Edit: Brilliant! Why didn't you just suggest that in the first place?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
TimothyEllis said:
I've never seen any of that before. Is it documented somewhere?
There's a thread somewhere...it was something members asked about after the Book Bazaar was begun--they wanted a completely advertising-free "unread posts" experience. ;)

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
There's a thread somewhere...it was something members asked about after the Book Bazaar was begun--they wanted a completely advertising-free "unread posts" experience. ;)
I wasn't here back then. If it was a thread, it was long gone before I arrived. It needs bumping, as I doubt a lot of people know this is possible.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
TimothyEllis said:
I wasn't here back then. If it was a thread, it was long gone before I arrived. It needs bumping, as I doubt a lot of people know this is possible.
We have a forum called "Forum Announcements and Tips." In that forum, there is a pinned thread called "Forum Tips." The link is in the first post in that thread.

Betsy
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top