Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been trying to compile a list of places such as newspapers, magazines, websites, blogs etc.. where I could send my non-fiction book out (once it's finished) in hopes that they will review it. Compiling this list is getting pretty time consuming so I wanted to know, is there any resources (s) that you know of that will list all of the major U.S. and international newspapers, all the major magazines. I'm also looking to see if there's a resource that may list websites or blogs that conduct reviews. I set up a Google Alert for my book's topic so I've been using that as one of my ways to compile a list of places but I feel like there's probably a more time efficient way than that...or maybe there's not? I was reading about Writer's Market, I'm not sure if that would be a help in this case or not. Thank you!

Registered
I'm assuming you're an indie author. If so, you should post your book on BookLife, which is run by Publishers Weekly. Request a free review. They will sometimes do a free review of an indie book posted there. If not, you can get a review from them, but it costs several hundred dollars. Kirkus, I believe, reviews indie books only if you pay them--also hundreds of dollars.

There are a few small editorial review places. All of them that I know of charge a fee, although much less than the big names. I write fiction, so I'm not sure of who handles nonfiction.

You should certainly check out book bloggers.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming you're an indie author. If so, you should post your book on BookLife, which is run by Publishers Weekly. Request a free review. They will sometimes do a free review of an indie book posted there. If not, you can get a review from them, but it costs several hundred dollars. Kirkus, I believe, reviews indie books only if you pay them--also hundreds of dollars.

There are a few small editorial review places. All of them that I know of charge a fee, although much less than the big names. I write fiction, so I'm not sure of who handles nonfiction.

Yes, I'm an indie author. I've heard of Kirkus and Publishers Weekly and know that they are pricey. I was hoping to avoid spending too much money right money. I'll definitely try BookLife and try to find some editorial review places, as you mentioned, that are less expensive.

I am hoping to connect with book bloggers too. Thank you so much for all your suggestions!

Registered
General purpose outlets will not be worth the time investment. They don't review a lot of books, and those they do will come from trade publishers 99% of the time. What you should be doing is looking for a small number of very specific outlets that are laser-focused on the topic of your book. And then, any media outlet that may have a local interest angle related to you regardless of topic. Everything else will be flushing away time and/or money.

Reactions: Hannah Jayne

Registered
General purpose outlets will not be worth the time investment. They don't review a lot of books, and those they do will come from trade publishers 99% of the time. What you should be doing is looking for a small number of very specific outlets that are laser-focused on the topic of your book. And then, any media outlet that may have a local interest angle related to you regardless of topic. Everything else will be flushing away time and/or money.
100% this.

Unless you are a world renowned guru in your field or a big name celebrity, no US/international newspaper or magazine will be interested. You'll do all that work and your contacts to them will be treated like spam. Your efforts will be much better spent elsewhere.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's disappointing to hear that the general outlets usually won't cover a book that's been self published, but I'm not really surprised. I'll work on narrowing my focus away from the big media to smaller media outlets. Thank you so much for your help!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
100% this.

Unless you are a world renowned guru in your field or a big name celebrity, no US/international newspaper or magazine will be interested. You'll do all that work and your contacts to them will be treated like spam. Your efforts will be much better spent elsewhere.
Ok, I appreciate you confirming this because I definitely don't want to do a bunch of work that will be a waste of time. Thank you so much!

Registered

Seconding this real quick. BookLife was kind enough to review my debut novel and while it's a REALLY short review (more like a blurb), I'm able to use it as an accolade "positively reviewed by Publishers Weekly." It's very easy to submit the book and you have nothing to lose giving it a shot. Here's what the final product may look like: Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror Book Review: The Black Parade by Kyoko M. CreateSpace, $12.99 trade paper (347p) ISBN 978-1-4909-1150-2. I don't recall a boost in sales or anything, but you can pop it into editorial reviews on your book's page and on your website and that helps sell the book to potential readers. Good luck out there!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seconding this real quick. BookLife was kind enough to review my debut novel and while it's a REALLY short review (more like a blurb), I'm able to use it as an accolade "positively reviewed by Publishers Weekly." It's very easy to submit the book and you have nothing to lose giving it a shot. Here's what the final product may look like: Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror Book Review: The Black Parade by Kyoko M. CreateSpace, $12.99 trade paper (347p) ISBN 978-1-4909-1150-2. I don't recall a boost in sales or anything, but you can pop it into editorial reviews on your book's page and on your website and that helps sell the book to potential readers. Good luck out there!
I will definitely try to get a review from BookLife. Thank you so much for confirming that BookLife is a good source for getting reviews. Also thanks for including the link for their review of your book so I can see what one of their reviews looks like!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts