Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I moved my message over from the Kindle message board - hope that this is all right)

This is the message that I received from Kindle-Feedback.

Let's encourage Amazon to make Basic Web permanent.

Take a look at the Kindle product page:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA/ref=sr_tr_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227417185&sr=8-1

It states:
*Includes free wireless access to the planet's most exhaustive and up-to-date encyclopedia-Wikipedia.org.

Wiki is part of the "Experimental" Basic Web. The only place where "experimental" is mentioned on this "sales" page is when they discuss PDF conversions.

Notice the two (most helpful) reviews Amazon has chosen for the page that introduces the Kindle - they include this:
"By connecting their massive book library, as well as newspapers, magazines, blogs and the Web -- wirelessly -- to a long-battery-life chunk of consumer plastic, Amazon has kicked eBooks into the mainstream."

And the second states this:
"Love the integrated web and Wikipedia search. I also checked my gmail account from time to time"

For me, I'm much less enthusiastic about the Kindle when the lose of Basic Web looms, and the only reassurance is that there are no plans to scrap it "at this time."

I understand that not all of you use Basic Web very much, but you could support us, fellow Kindle users, in keeping the service. Maybe you want "folders" incorporated into the Kindle experience (don't we all) - well, we can work for that, too.

Let's "hang together rather than hang separately."

Amazon had three experimental prototypes - now there are two. If you like Basic Web, let [email protected] know that.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I would honestly be extremely surprised if they dropped web connectivity; if anything, future versions of the Kindle will probably have enhanced capability. Eventually, I suspect the Kindle will have nearly full-featured browsing capability; maybe they won't be able to play videos and so on any time soon (due to the nature of the eInk screen), but I don't think we'll see the web connectivity feature go away. Just about all our electronic devices - particularly "personal" ones - are moving toward technological convergence, and web connectivity is an essential element. :)

Cheers,
Mike

G

·
I am just getting familiar with the browser and I am having a good time with it.  Discontinuing it would be a very bad move on Amazon's part.

G

·
True.  It's great for what it was designed for.  Bumping up it's power and features could make it either more awesome or destroy it.  It is first and formost a great reader.  They need to keep focused on that.  Everything else is gravy.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I doubt that they'll take the web browser away, either, but I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging for using it outside of the Kindle store in the near future.  Especially if they make it a better experience, they would go broke paying for network access if people are using it all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts