Kindle Forum banner

I have completed book 1 and 2 of science fiction series for young adults with book 3 almost complete

• Best to include name of the hero in the title of each book of an SF series intended for YA.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best to do as in Harry Potter series and include heroes name in both book title and series title.

• Best to have one word title with heroes name in series title.

• Best to have two word title with heroes name in series title.

• Best to have five or more word title including heroes name (as well as heroes name in series title).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's best to have a title and subtitle that accurately reflect the genre and tropes in your series. Whatever form that takes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
DmGuay said:
It's best to have a title and subtitle that accurately reflect the genre and tropes in your series. Whatever form that takes.
I totally agree with this. I don't think it matters how many words you have in the title and whether or not the hero's name is mentioned in the title (or subtitle). If the first book was a major seller and you believe you can take advantage of the hero's identity, such as a Jack Reacher novel, then use that. Otherwise, you're probably better off starting over.

If you are changing the title for the first book, I would recommend that you include a line in your description that states "Previous published as 'Whatever the Original Title Was', just to make sure you don't alienate people who may have already bought the first one and have decided the new release sounds interesting.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I agree with everything both of you said, and I have to admit here I am not good at all with titles. I'm not sure what it is. My blurbs have improved significantly but the I rarely get the title right. On subject yes, but nothing standout.

From the feedback received for book 1 published almost a year ago, the story, characters, dialogue, are a good fit for the genre. The writing is also considered by most as good. It's the title that gets knocked repeatedly, also the cover which I will be replacing with a branded cover.

Thank you to you both for your replies.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Titles aren't easy!
Spend some time looking around at the solid sellers in your genre. See if you can glean any insight / ideas for what readers expect from their titles and subtitles.
And when in doubt, keep it simple.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DmGuay said:
Titles aren't easy!
Spend some time looking around at the solid sellers in your genre. See if you can glean any insight / ideas for what readers expect from their titles and subtitles.
And when in doubt, keep it simple.
That's excellent advice. Thanks!

The cleverest and those I remember titles are clean and simple, and all the more striking for it. With the title I have on the book I was trying to capture the meme and a trend and really most of those who read my genre mix would not be there yet ???.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts