Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a book a few days ago, but didn't like it. So I called Amazon this morning and talked  to a nice young lady who said she would refund the charge of $4.99 to my credit card. She didn't even ask me why I didn't like the book.

When I turned on my Kindle WiFi, the books automatically disappeared like magic.

Then I got an e-mail from Amazon saying that a credit had been made to my credit card.

The whole transaction only took a few minutes and was very efficient.

So have you returned Kindle books before and was it a smooth process?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep, only once and it was just a .99 or 1.99 book, but after reading a chapter or 2 I knew that I wouldn't be reading anymore of it. So I emailed and got a quick reply...the book disappeared (thankfully!) and money was returned. I really appreciate that they offer this service. I try not to abuse it and now make sure to download samples first if it's something I am not quite sure of.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I can't imagine returning a book just because I didn't like it. 

I have returned them for poor formatting.  I once purchased a book and then discovered I could get it in an omnibus so I returned it and bought the omnibus instead.

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Well, sometimes it's something that looks good based on the write up, but then you get it, read a few chapters, and realize it's really not your cuppa.  I don't see any problem with asking for a return in that case. 

I would hope, however, that a person wouldn't read the whole thing and then return it just because they can.  Though I'm sure it probably happens. 

I, frankly, don't worry about it much -- it's so rare that I actually get to a new book within the 7 days. :eek: :D  I have returned one or two, though, that I really did purchase by accident -- screen jig or random mouse jump and I hit the 'buy now' button when I'd meant to go somewhere else -- or bought from the Kindle while showing someone how the thing worked but didn't really want the book.  I've also returned one that had atrocious formatting -- that was even past the 7 days. 

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've only returned a couple of books. I bought one book by mistake -- and immediately had to cancel the order.

And once I bought a book just to see if it included the illustrations in its Kindle edition. It didn't, and I realized that I just didn't want the book without them -- so I made a point of going through the process of returning it.

Er, but that's also why I almost never return a book. Most of the time it's not worth 99 cents to find my way back to the right web page for e-book returning. For example, I really should've returned The Thirteen Haikus: Charlie Sheen of Malibu - Volume 1. Maybe I was just too embarrassed to have to admit to anyone that I'd actually bought it in the first place! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
  Amazon is really easy going, but I am sure they have some sort of tracking process that could pin point a customer that returns a whole lot of books.................because hint, hint, wink wink  ::) they purchased it by accident.

As easy going as Amazon is I am sure people could get away with purchasing and reading a few then getting a refund within a few days but I would think if that happened a lot on the same account even the easy going Amazon might be inclined to take a look at that person.

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Me and My Kindle said:
Er, but that's also why I almost never return a book. Most of the time it's not worth 99 cents to find my way back to the right web page for e-book returning. For example, I really should've returned The Thirteen Haikus: Charlie Sheen of Malibu - Volume 1. Maybe I was just too embarrassed to have to admit to anyone that I'd actually bought it in the first place! :)
And now we all know. ;)
wvpeach said:
As easy going as Amazon is I am sure people could get away with purchasing and reading a few then getting a refund within a few days but I would think if that happened a lot on the same account even the easy going Amazon might be inclined to take a look at that person.
I agree. . . .if you do it too much, I expect they'd be in touch with a warning. Even before the ebook era, I've heard of accounts being locked because of people taking advantage of their return policy on electronics to, effectively, borrow some high-ticket item for a few days.

So, yeah. They know.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I returned a very poorly formatted book when I finally got around to reading it.. 6 months after buying it. I had no problem, it took less than 5 minutes from the time I called until the transaction was complete. I had over 1000 Kindle books on my account  by that time, and just told them it had been in my TBR pile until that day. It was the first, and so far only book I have ever needed to return.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did not realize it would be so easy to return process a return. Amazon has some great policies. It is good to know this is one of them

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
wrighton said:
I did not realize it would be so easy to return process a return. Amazon has some great policies. It is good to know this is one of them
Especially since none of the other reader stores (that I know of) allow returns/refunds at all, for any reason.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I returned a Kindle book I bought a couple of days earlier when I discovered the paperback version in a drawer. I hadn't read any of it yet. They made it a very simple process. Instant credit to my Visa card, book disappeared on its own.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've had my kindle since Oct 2010 and I just returned my first book last week. It was full of spelling errors, typos, and seemed a lazy, shoddy effort by the author. (The story wasn't bad, but the grammar was so bad it was distracting. I was kicking myself for not downloading the sample first, something I nearly always do.)

Honestly, I'd probably not return a book to a book store. It would be doubly awkward because the book I returned was erotica! I can just see myself at the counter at Waterstones complaining about typos in a book of erotic shorts. LOL.

But as an indie author myself, I feel that accepting sub-standard, shoddy books doesn't do any of us any favours, especially now that I've learned that if a book has too many complaints about poor quality, Amazon will contact the author and tell them to fix things. So, for me it was less about the £3 or so I paid for the book and more about sending a message that quality matters.

·
Registered
339 Posts
After I returned about five Kindle cookbooks in a row for poor formatting (and often recipes that weren't even workable because of typos), I stopped buying them and went back to print cookbooks. I always tell Amazon why I am returning a book.

I still read library cooking ebooks on my nook but the formatting issues seem to be getting worse if anything. You'd think publishers would have had time to figure out how to get cookbooks in ebook form right by now. I occasionally write publishers and let them know about the problems but they don't seem to care. The last one I saw a few weeks ago had a paragraph in a recipe with something like 12 question marks instead of ingredient amounts. And it was priced the same as the print version that boasted all sorts of pretty color photos. sigh

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's really good to know that Amazon is so easy going when it comes to returning books. It's not something I would do often, however, depending on how much it had cost, if I start reading it and know I will not like it and/or finish it, I would return it. And as for the formatting and typos, well I would not be able to read a book like this so I would return it for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.