Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to inform that I returned the Dx after keeping it with me for 6 days.

I have owned a K2 for 15 days only and ended up liking K2 over the Dx.

When taking the decision, money was NOT the issue.

Decision was taken because I just loved the size and weight of k2 and it serves my purpose of portability and bedroom reading.

Newbies in dilemma of buying a Dx or a K2..I suggest go for K2 if you are looking for portability, bed room reading, cheaper option.

Go for Dx if you like playing with bricks, need LARGE screens and need to download lot of personal docs.

There has been some publicity of the quality of Dx screen being superior to k2. I am sure, I am not blind as I personally found no apparent difference. Perhaps because I bought the K2 and Dx at the same time and maybe the same updated technology technology is being used in both for manufacturing the screen.

Anyways, will love to know who all end up returning the Dx.

I will upgrade my k2 as and when the colored version comes along.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Thanks for posting this info. I to love the size of the K2 and have wondered if I would like the DX. Good to hear the side by side comparison. I really love the size of my K2 and it is easy to take places. :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I definitely understand that the DX isn't for everyone, and even said so in my review. I just don't agree with any reference to it being like "a brick." It give the impression that the thing weighs 20 pounds, and that's simply not true. I'm a little person with Brittle Bone Disease, and were it even remotely heavy, that would be a serious problem for me. But I can handle the device, lift it, and move it around with no problem. I also have a large reference book (not available on the Kindle) on my bed, and while I can move it around some, not nearly as easily as the DX.

It is indeed heavier than the previous Kindles and I agree that the size and weight may not suit all people or their needs. But it is not a "brick" either, and putting that thought in the minds of people who might be considering the DX might unfairly effect their decision. It's no heavier than a 3 subject spiral bound notebook, even when the DX is in my M-Edge cover.

Of course if someone whacked me over the head with a DX, I might change my mind about the brick analogy.  :)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Greg Banks said:
It's no heavier than a 3 subject spiral bound notebook, even when the DX is in my M-Edge cover.
This really helps put it into perspective, so thank you for that comparison. I am debating whether to go for a DX in addition to K1 and K2, but I really don't know if I need a third K...........

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'm reading a DTB right now that is a brick.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
Greg Banks said:
It's no heavier than a 3 subject spiral bound notebook, even when the DX is in my M-Edge cover.
And I bet not nearly as floppy! :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
My husband has very bad hands from years as a meatcutter and he loves the KDX.  It is only 18 oz.  Most big men can eat a steak that size!!  The text is crisp and clear and the fact that you can read it anyway you prefer is amazing.  I cannot find one thing I do not like about it.  Of course, I never owned the K1 or K2.  I think each of us our attached to our own version of Kindle for whatever reasons.  It's like a new member to our family already.  Honestly, the weight of the KDX is not an issue, but the large screen is fantastic!!!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
To be fair to the OP, I think the comment was in relation to the noted difference between the DX and the smaller Kindles. If you are already used to the smaller Kindles, your first impression of the DX is that it is massive. I referred to it as the Godzilla of Kindles in my review. But if one gets past that, you realize that it is only big in relation to the other Kindles, and is actually more than small enough to fit through the average size door.  :) It's not going to fit in your average purse, and I think many people will find it just more comfortable to hold it with two hands because of the wider distribution of the weight (something I can only speculate since holding either my K1 or KDX while I read is a viable option for me).

The only reason I responded to the OP was because "brick" gives a connotation to the Kindle's weight that simply isn't fair. People should choose to buy (or not buy) a Kindle based upon a more realistic perspective.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I so agree, Greg.  The KDX is not even close to a "brick".  I love the screen size.  You can fit the K2 in the screen, I think.  I read for nearly 5 hours the other night on the KDX and no hand or finger strain at all.  It is just a very comfortable size for reading without any glasses.  Also, enlarging the font size is a great feature for us older folks.  The photos are very clear on them too.  So far, so good.  I have become a fan.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hmmm, a glass bottle with 12oz of my favorite beverage weighs about as much as a nekkid DX.

I'm so happy I've worked out with them bottles for so many years. Now I can do a little cross training with my DX.

Seriously I don't understand the "weight" issue for most, not all, people. Portability, yes; preference to reading novels in paperback size vs hardback size, yes; usefulness of having access to pdf files, yes; eyesight issues, yes etc, ect, etc... To me there are so many other considerations that take precedence over weight, I just can't believe 18oz is even a issue for most users.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
Greg Banks said:
It's not going to fit in your average purse,
Have you seen some people's purses? LOL ;D

Though, I agree, I like a smaller purse and my K1 fits just fine in it. I'll need to evaluate carrying the DX -- probably mostly won't take it out and about, but if I need to I'll need a secure way to do so.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My take on the "brick" comment from the OP is that he was using a commonly used figure of speech. It doesn't seem like the comment warranted the responses received...I'd be surprised if someone made a purchase decision based on that comment, especially when the weight of the DX is available on the Amazon website. He seemed to have a valid comparison point since he also had a K2 and he was expressing his opinion.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
In my counter point to the OP I could have easily have said that the Kindle DX is "light as a feather" as a figure of speech, and not only would that paint an inaccurate picture, but I'm sure some people who read that would be falsely influenced in how light they perceive the DX to be. I think the same can be said about calling it a brick. A lot of people here are on the fence about buying the thing, and for them, those comments would very much influence decisions. I noticed the reference, so I'm sure others will as well. I just wanted to make sure that a more accurate perspective was given here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wunderkind said:
My take on the "brick" comment from the OP is that he was using a commonly used figure of speech. It doesn't seem like the comment warranted the responses received...I'd be surprised if someone made a purchase decision based on that comment, especially when the weight of the DX is available on the Amazon website. He seemed to have a valid comparison point since he also had a K2 and he was expressing his opinion.
Wunderkind,

Thank you very much for you kind words in support of the analogy used.

A K2 most likely, if hit one's head will not cause much damage but the "brick" Dx will definitely cause homicide.

The Dx's weight is similar to the weight of the cellphones available during the mid 90's.I have heard many horror stories of homicide in the 90's in which the "brick" cell phones were used aggressively as a weapon to cause injuries.

I personally would not like to own a potential weapon in form of a Dx.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Standard Bricks: AxBxC
1 001-100 Brick, Standard, Wall
Weight: 13.2 lb (6 kg) 2" x 4" x 4"
2 001-200 Brick, Standard, Base
Weight: 14.9 lb (6.9 kg) 2" x 4" x 4"
3 001-300 Brick, Standard, Top
Weight: 5 lb (2.3 kg) 2" x 4" x 2"

Corner Bricks: AxBxC
4 001-400 Brick, Corner, Wall
5 001-500 Brick, Corner, Base
6 001-600 Brick, Corner, Top

Reverse Corner Bricks: AxBxC
11 001-132 Brick, Reverse Corner, Wall
10 001-130 Brick, Reverses Corner, Base
Weight: 14.9 lb (6.8 kg) 2" x 4" x 4"
12 001-135 Brick, Reverse Corner, Top

Left End Cap Bricks: AxBxC
26 001-148 Brick, Left End Cap, Wall
16 001-147 Brick, Left End Cap, Base
14 001-142 Brick, Left End Cap, Top
Weight: 5.2 lb (2.4 kg) 2" x 4" x 2"

Right End Cap Bricks: AxBxC
27 001-149 Brick, Right End Cap, Wall
15 001-145 Brick, Right End Cap, Base
13 001-140 Brick, Right End Cap, Top
Weight: 5.2 lb (2.4 kg) 2" x 4" x 2"

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Wunderkind said:
I think it's hyperbole.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Well Captain it certainly seems like you need to return the KDX,as it is not for you :)

As for me,I love my KDX and I do not find it heavy or cumbersome in any way.
It is a very comfortable reader that I enjoy as much as my K1 and my K2.

So any perspective buyers of the KDX, please realize that the KDX is nothing like a brick,and is certainly NOT heavy :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thanks to reading this at 5 am, I will now have the song Thick as a Brick stuck in my head for the whole entire day. LOL.

Enjoy, everyone...

·
Registered
149 Posts
[color=pink]I have to say that I love my DX. Weight is not an issue even with my arthritis in my hands, wrists and shoulders. It seems very lightweight to me.

I can see if you are use to the smaller versions and don't care about an eye grabber like the DX but the screen is awesome, the fonts are great and I love it!
:) :) :) :)[/color]

1 - 20 of 117 Posts