Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: I decided not to pay an editor to edit my Wattpad story, will write as I go. No point in spending money I don't have on a free platform.

I am returning to Wattpad because a genre I want to write in is one of the widely read ones on there. I usually just write the story on Wattpad as I go but I never completed an original story or a fanfiction. I always stopped halfway through and eventually deleted it.

The last one I posted was written long time ago before I learned anything about story structure, writing craft, etc.

The website has changed from the last time I was a regular user on there, because now there are articles written encouraging writers to plan and edit their stories for grammar and inconsistencies.

But at the same time, I know that there are no guarantees that someone will buy a book on amazon, I haven't published my other genre on amazon yet, I already created an outline a month ago for the amazon genre, but paying someone to edit a story on Wattpad is a huge gamble

Outlining is free, but a dilemma I have is if I should pay an actual editor for a book I know won't generate income unless it becomes optioned like Ana Todd or gets a major book deal and movie deal like some other writers on there

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah! Not for Wattpad. It's all about ideas on the fly and feedback in real time.
What I have decided to do is create a rough outline using only the major plot points, and have a general idea of the ending, I'm not really an outliner anyways, it's something I recently started taking seriously only because I plan to self publish on amazon

Registered
Don't do it for wattpad, do it bcause eventually you want to self-publsish

Registered
Don't do it for Wattpad. Save your pennies. Hopefully, you will build a community there that will follow you when you self-publish. I did that. I got my first betas that way.

Registered
Hey, Marissa! I saw your post and wanted to wish you good luck with your writing. I happen to know of an opportunity you might be interested in, especially if you're wanting to save money on some of the editing process and getting feedback. I am part of the team at Page Turner Awards and we have some great high-value support prizes available for aspiring writers, including self-publishing packages, film rights options, and audiobook production. Our awards are low-cost, just 拢20 for the early bird entry which closes on 28th Feb, and 拢30 after that. Take a look here Home | Page Turner Awards If you do choose to enter, best of luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't do it for wattpad, do it bcause eventually you want to self-publsish
I decided not to do it, it's spending money I don't have and it's not worth the investment on a platform like that. The comments on Wattpad are insane, they expect free stuff, now if I become an anomaly like Ana Todd and get offered a movie or a book deal I would reconsider, but if that happened I wouldn't need to pay for an editor

Registered
I decided not to do it, it's spending money I don't have and it's not worth the investment on a platform like that. The comments on Wattpad are insane, they expect free stuff, now if I become an anomaly like Ana Todd and get offered a movie or a book deal I would reconsider, but if that happened I wouldn't need to pay for an editor
Wise decision. I spent quite an amount of time on wattpad in the past, and trust me, it's a time consumer to read others work to get responses to crit on your own. Fly by crit usually consists of one or two syllables, like - great, dude. or awesome, lol, which gives a good idea of the readers ages on there.

Reactions: marissa_lopez
1 - 11 of 11 Posts