Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Note from Harv: I posted this on my Zune blog this morning. But I'm posting here as well, curious if this KindleBoards crowd has the same lyrics deficiency as I do!)

If you're like me, you have a history of mis-hearing song lyrics. And, once I've heard them 'wrong' in my mind, I can't shake it.

The first time I heard Neil Diamond's "Forever in Blue Jeans", I thought he was singing 'Reverend Blue Jeans'. And that's what I hum to myself whenever I hear the song.

It only gets embarrassing when I sing out loud.

So make me feel better, if you will. What are some of your own mis-heard song lyrics?

We're not alone - I've linked below some collections from Amazon, including that all-time Elton John classic, Hold Me Closer, Tony Danza.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
You mean it's not "Reverend Blue Jeans"???  I'm astounded and LMAO because up till now, I really thought it was! I'm so glad DH isn't home because he collects vinyl and knows lyrics and that would be truely a D'oh moment he would not let me forget!
Sheryl
SLMAO

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
OK, even though I may get laughed at (hubby still does), one of my favorite songs was by the Raspberries. They sang this wonderful love song where the guy was so in love with this girl that he begged her... "Please, don't go away..."

Not long after we married we were in the car and the song came on the oldies station and I was singing away. Larry starts laughing his head off telling me the that I was singing it wrong... He then ruined that beautiful love song for me by telling me the words were.... "Please, go all the way..."

I can still be a bit naive even today! lol

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife thought that Dolly Parton's hit duet with Kenny Rogers was "Islands Industry".

·
Registered
455 Posts
This is too funny! I was the designated driver one night and a slightly inebriated, but very good, friend was singing along with the radio as I was driving us home. The song was "Jet Airliner". The song goes, "big old jet airliner". She was singing, "big old jet had a light out"! I was the only sober person in the car. I was laughing so hard I almost wrecked the car.

Good memory! Thanks for calling it up from the depths!

·
Registered
377 Posts
WolfePrincess73 said:
This is too funny! I was the designated driver one night and a slightly inebriated, but very good, friend was singing along with the radio as I was driving us home. The song was "Jet Airliner". The song goes, "big old jet airliner". She was singing, "big old jet had a light out"! I was the only sober person in the car. I was laughing so hard I almost wrecked the car.

Good memory! Thanks for calling it up from the depths!
Until my wife corrected me years later, I always thought that one was "big old jail and a lineup".

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
One horse opened his leg...of course, I was 2, but still love to sing Jingle Bells with my original line.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I think the one everybody messed up the most is Louie, Louie by The Kingsmen.  It was a shock when one of the DJ's read the real lyrics. 

·
Registered
433 Posts
Stalkin' old Load Eye again.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I'm a pool hall ace.

Otherwise known as "How my poor heart aches" from "Every Breath You Take" by The Police. ::) Yeah, even as I sang it, I knew it didn't make sense. But that's what I heard.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Not exactly well known songs, but I listen to some Japanese vk (visual kei) bands that always comes up with the best mis-heard lyrics. It's fashionable to sing in English in that genre, but a lot of the singers don't have a proper education in the language.

The best one that I can remember is from a recent song by Dir en grey, where my best friend and I were convinced that one line said "All my lies give me pleasure". Well we get the cd and look a the liner notes and find out that it's actually "ominous communication". Awesome.

Although for those of you who don't listen to bizarre stuff like me, I've always heard that Jimmy Hendrix's line "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" is often misheard as "Excuse me while I kiss this guy."

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jeff said:
"I'm not talkin' about my linen"

Can you name that tune?
I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in, and I don't want to change your life ... da da da something about a cold wind blowin' the stars around?? ... but I'd really like to see you toniiiight.

Right song, Jeff??

The one I can't EVER get right, even though my version makes no sense is, "Then she lift up her tendril, and she showed me the way."

Any guesses on the song? Was very popular in it's day.

B

·
0 Posts
Cat said:
The one I can't EVER get right, even though my version makes no sense is, "Then she lift up her tendril, and she showed me the way."

Any guesses on the song? Was very popular in it's day.
"candle"

1 - 20 of 43 Posts