Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw an interesting post on the Indie Writers Unite! Facebook page. An author got an email that said "I noticed you have a review that says you need editing. I happen to offer editing services...etc." She believes that the person who sent the email is the same person who left the review that said she needed editing. So be on the lookout for this possible scam.

·
Registered
586 Posts
R. Reed said:
I just saw an interesting post on the Indie Writers Unite! Facebook page. An author got an email that said "I noticed you have a review that says you need editing. I happen to offer editing services...etc." She believes that the person who sent the email is the same person who left the review that said she needed editing. So be on the lookout for this possible scam.
I wouldn't have thought that that was technically a scam, more of a sly way of getting customers. Maybe that person was just trawling through the posts knowing that there was a good chance of this comment appearing on a regular basis? A bit like those people who write, "You should read my book, the leading character could be you,"

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also think it's just a sly & a pathetic technique!

Nothing is new under the sun: it's seems that every realm where money is involved (where isn't it...) sooner or later you will come across sneaky sellers.

Probably this is the only way they [believe they] can make a living.

Best is, in my opinion, to ignore and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
:eek: :eek:

This type of thing is exactly why I have my rule in place: If a book is reviewed on RAR, I will not edit the book. If such an author were to contact me, I would send them my list of "recommended editors" built from recommendations from authors right here on KB. ;D Although, I have no qualms about offering to do their next book. ;)

However, in the person's defense, it could just be that they are scanning Amazon in search of books who have received reviews stating that the book needs an editor. There are certainly plenty of them out there without anyone ever needing to write the review themselves.

I freely admit to wanting to offer my services when I see reviews that say things like, "Wow! This was a great story. I would have given it five stars if it wasn't so filled with typos and grammar problems."

That's not greediness on my part, but an ache to help an obviously talented author. Heck, there are even times I want to offer my services here when I see threads about authors getting "editing" reviews. I sit on my hands to keep from offering because it feels like "ambulance chasing."

I don't actually do that, though, simply because I don't want my intentions to be misconstrued, nor do I want to be accused of writing the reviews myself. :D

Of course, I can afford my lofty moral code because I stay busy. Perhaps that person is just starting out and needs the business.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I read the post on IWU, too.  The original message actually said the person had seen the book advertised in X magazine (it wasn't) and then mentioned the one star review because of editing problems.  A review LEFT by the person sending the message.  So, yes.  I'd consider this a scam.  Or blackmail, at least.  It was pretty much right up there with the "Parker Jesus" thing.

Not cool.

·
Registered
586 Posts
SheaMacLeod said:
It was pretty much right up there with the "Parker Jesus" thing.
Parker jesus thing? You've lost me there, possibly because I am not a christain?

·
Registered
624 Posts
lol Nothing to do with Christianity. Exactly. Check out Christopher M Thompson's blog post: http://chaophim.blogspot.com/2011/06/parker-jesus-is-your-literary-savior.html

Another IWU member recieved an email from this guy HA Parker. The essence of the email was that Parker thought the book was "terrible" and he was going to post a scathing one star review. HOWEVER, if the author bought Parker's book and gave it a good review, Parker might refrain from posting his terrible review.

Simple blackmail.

CMT's post is hilariously funny.

·
Registered
586 Posts
SheaMacLeod said:
lol Nothing to do with Christianity. Exactly. Check out Christopher M Thompson's blog post: http://chaophim.blogspot.com/2011/06/parker-jesus-is-your-literary-savior.html

Another IWU member recieved an email from this guy HA Parker. The essence of the email was that Parker thought the book was "terrible" and he was going to post a scathing one star review. HOWEVER, if the author bought Parker's book and gave it a good review, Parker might refrain from posting his terrible review.

Simple blackmail.

CMT's post is hilariously funny.
Yes. that is definitely blackmail. I think I would have been tempted to turn that one around myself and give him a one star review.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
SheaMacLeod said:

Simple blackmail.
Man, why didn't I think of this scheme? ???

Just kidding... That is so unethical, I don't even have a response.

But, yes, that post was hilarious! :D :D

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wow. This is all new to me, and pretty hilarious in its blundering criminality. Wherever there's someone making money, someone else (usually an idiot) will turn up and try to exploit that.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Lynn ODell said:

I have 3000 emails going out right now. So just make sure you give me that five star review, or else. Wish I had the time, Sigh!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Lynn ODell said:

No kidding! I just loved CMT's post on it. Seriously pee-your-pants funny!

G

·
IF the person left the review and then solicited business from the author, I would tell the author to contact Amazon with a copy of the email in order to have the review (and reviewer) removed. Amazon does not take kindly to this sort of behavior ... but you have to tell them that it is happening. Scum like this need to be stopped before they spread like a cancer.

If the author is too shy to handle said situation, I am available to ... discuss ... the matter with the offending reviewer. *lights up light saber* yes, discuss...

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I just realized that my defense of the "editor" might be misconstrued.

I based the defense on the assumption that the "editor" was not the one to leave the review.

If there is proof that the "editor," which shall be called "scammer" after proof of such behaviour, left the review to drum up business, then there is no defense. At that point, I would tell Julie, "May the force be with you." :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
I can't get on FB at the moment to double check, but my understanding from reading the posted email was that the editor/scammer ADMITTED she had posted the review.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
That's crazy. What an amateur move. Ignore it. Sign with me instead.

Look, I can offer you a money back guarantee that you will top the NYT best seller list. That's right, in fact, I'll double your money back if I don't turn you into the most proliffic author on the planet. I've developed a secret technique that has helped authors all around the world. I don't want to name-drop, but do wizards, vampires, and symbologists ring a bell? That's right, I did that. All you have to do is send me $50.00 and I'll turn your manuscript into something that'll change the world!

Hurry, supplies are limited. Double your money back offer not available in some states. You will be notified after receipt of payment whether or not you qualify. This offer expires as soon as the FBI-uh, may expire unexpectedly.

·
Registered
663 Posts
vrabinec said:
That's crazy. What an amateur move. Ignore it. Sign with me instead.

Look, I can offer you a money back guarantee that you will top the NYT best seller list. That's right, in fact, I'll double your money back if I don't turn you into the most proliffic author on the planet. I've developed a secret technique that has helped authors all around the world. I don't want to name-drop, but do wizards, vampires, and symbologists ring a bell? That's right, I did that. All you have to do is send me $50.00 and I'll turn your manuscript into something that'll change the world!

Huury, supplies are limited. Double your money back offer not available in some states. You will be notified after receipt of payment whether or not you qualify. This offer expires as soon as the FBI-uh, may expire unexpectedly.
You forgot your email address. I've got a check in hand but no one to send it to. Oh Wait - I just read another thread offering the same thing PLUS they'll throw in a free orange juicer if I send it in before midnight... you're outta luck - sorry.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Wow.  Just... wow.  Talk about shyster tactics.  I think I'm speechless.  Well - except to say, "Get 'em Julie!"

·
Registered
917 Posts
That post is hysterical. (My favorite part: a book sucks if it's got a part with a guy yelling at a demon: "You shall not pass!" I think I snorted there.)

Pathetic what some people stoop to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts