Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I woke up to a 4 star review for my urban fantasy 'All Who Wander Are Lost'...a 'well written but dark, so not completely my cup of tea' type review, then the reviewer goes on to add a link to another book they liked better. Seems awfully cheesy to me. What do you guys think, am I being sensitive or is this unusual?

G

·
On the one hand, Amazon encourages reviewers to compare products to similar products. That is why the function is there. I have used it in the past to recommend different products (but when I've left a negative review, not a good one).

On the other, it seems strange that the reviewer made that comment on your review, but DIDN'T review the book in question.

There is nothing wrong with a reviewer mentioning other books in a review per se. In fact, it can make for a better review because it adds context.

For example, if I read a review of a vampire novel that is four stars and says that the novel is real scary, I get interested. I like scary vampire books. But if the review ends with "This book is almost as scary as Twilight!" Well, now I realize that the reviewer and I have polar opposite ideas of what the word "scary" actually means.  :eek: So the links can be useful.

That said, I have a weird feeling about this particular review. I can't prove anything. I can only go with my gut. But something doesn't sit right with me.

I preface this by saying that I have been working on a sequel that is a paranormal thriller, so my brain is in “detective mode” right now. It makes me more suspicious than usual.

If you look at the reviewers other reviews, almost all of them are not verified purchases. A lot of the products are for women, and the reviewer often talks about his wife. I would believe this reviewer has two accounts: one on which they make purchases and one on which he posts reviews.  Why would someone have a separate account from which to post reviews? Maybe if you write under a pen name and don’t want people to know who you are?

In which case, maybe you don’t post a review to your own book, because Amazon can track IP addresses. And even if you have two accounts, if you switch back and forth on the same computer the accounts will generally have the same IP address.

Again, a completely unsubstantiated hypothesis. Make of it what you will.  :eek: ;D

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a reader (I am not an author), I feel the review is fake. I am not really sure why marketing companies keep doing this since it is incredibly obvious. I would not worry about it, the review will be buried but the 4 stars will remain.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lei82 said:
As a reader (I am not an author), I feel the review is fake. I am not really sure why marketing companies keep doing this since it is incredibly obvious. I would not worry about it, the review will be buried but the 4 stars will remain.
If it is just a marketing ploy, at least they had the decency to cloak it behind 4 stars, not 2! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.