1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
I read it a couple times, and I'm still having trouble following what the reviewer is trying to say, so I don't think you have too much to worry about in terms of the plot being "given away"!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, well that is good to know at least. Thanks for the freedback :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wouldn't worry. The review is incomprehensible. I once had a blogger write a review that I felt was simply a retelling of my novel, including plot twists. I truly believe in freedom of expression and would never ask anyone to alter a review in any way; but I sent her an email thanking her and kindly asking if she might consider noting that the review contained spoilers (and explained my reasoning). She was awesome about it and added a "spoiler alert" note.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Yeah, no idea what they're trying to say, and because of the weird phrasing, I've pretty much forgotten what they're saying even as I type this, I think you're safe. :)

G

·
0 Posts
It happens.

'As the title says, it's a good quick read. Thankfully, the typical "oh the underdog won" ending wasn't there, and it's nice that it shows guys and girls are equal ;) That said, the beginning was a bit confusing at first, since I thought it was a boxing match - turns out it was an MMA competition. It's not life-changing, but there are a lot of bestsellers out there that are worse.'

'This was certainly a good read. Every sentence seems to be jam packed with action. The narration initially made you expect a standard ending for such boxing stories. But the sudden twist in the story kept you reading, hoping that the underdog would win. The ending of the story was certainly unexpected. However, my only negative comment is that the story isn't entirely believable. There is no way that a woman gets hammered and still able to talk normally.'

I wonder what happens...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
It really doesn't matter if it gives the plot away or not.  You can't do anything about it and Amazon doesn't remove spoiler reviews.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes, it happened to be a 5-Star review, nonetheless, the big moment was revealed. I posted a comment back to her and diplomatically asked to her to eliminate the reveal. She was lovely and graciously accomodated my request.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks heaps guy, makes me feel like it is less of a big deal. Seems like this kind of thing happens often, I guess am just lucky its just a short and stuff. No big deal. I was worried for a moment, and thinking "for crying out loud . . ." but then having read read it a number of times, it looks like it is pretty hard to understand anyway.

funny how, when you hear it happens to other people, and it is not just you, it makes you feel better. I'm just being a baby in hindsight lol.

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Joseph Edward Ryan said:
the thing that bothers me, is the reviwer gives away the plot and ending of story in the review. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happened?
Quite a few times. It's obnoxious but there is nothing you can do. Amazon used to add a Spoiler Alert if you asked them to but lately they haven't done that. You could try though.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Kathleen Valentine said:
Quite a few times. It's obnoxious but there is nothing you can do. Amazon used to add a Spoiler Alert if you asked them to but lately they haven't done that. You could try though.
When I complained about the same issue in a review, my response back from Amazon was the same as Kathleen just said. They offered to add a **Spoiler Alert** to the top of the review. At least that is better than nothing, if you could get them to do it. I know if I see a review with that on top, I immediately close the window so I can't read the spoiler. I'm weird that way. I like to be SURPRISED at the ending! :-X

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes, one of my Goodreads reviewers basically summarized my whole book up to about the 85% point. She might as well have given away the ending too.  ::)

My books are more character-driven than plot-driven, so I don't think it's a huge deal, though I have seen her reviews for other authors which are just as spoilery, and for a plot-driven book that could be really bad. It was pretty long though, so hopefully people won't be bothered to read it all, lol! But I was nervous to contact her about adding a spoiler warning because she didn't care for the book and I didn't want to seem like an Author Behaving Badly. Someone who calls themselves a reviewer or book blogger (which in my case, she was) should know better though, IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts