Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a LibraryThing giveaway and the reviews are starting to come in.  Two of the reviews on LT caught my eye because they were very thoughtful but mixed.  There were things they liked and things they didn't -- things my editor and beta readers probably should have caught.  In the end, they both recommended the book and indicated a desire to read more.  Would it be appropriate to approach them to be beta readers for my next project?  I'm leaning towards no, but I can't get the idea out of my head.

Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm pretty picky about my beta readers, but I did snag a beta reader that way.  Maybe just have him/her abstain from reviewing your next book, to be ethical about the whole thing.  That's what I did. :)

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I can't tell you whether it's appropriate but I can tell you if someone liked my review enough to ask me to beta read for them, I'd be flattered. Would probably say I didn't have the time for it, but flattered none the less. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
kCopeseeley said:
I'm pretty picky about my beta readers, but I did snag a beta reader that way. Maybe just have him/her abstain from reviewing your next book, to be ethical about the whole thing. That's what I did. :)
This would work, just to make sure it's fair and fully disclosed they aren't to post a review but rather beta.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
JM Gellene said:
I did a LibraryThing giveaway and the reviews are starting to come in. Two of the reviews on LT caught my eye because they were very thoughtful but mixed. There were things they liked and things they didn't -- things my editor and beta readers probably should have caught. In the end, they both recommended the book and indicated a desire to read more. Would it be appropriate to approach them to be beta readers for my next project? I'm leaning towards no, but I can't get the idea out of my head.

Thanks
Well, it's actually a different process. I read differently when I'm reading strictly for pleasure, differently when I plan on reviewing, and differently when I'm beta reading. It doesn't mean they won't be agreeable, but I do see it as you asking them for a big favor. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've found LibraryThing patrons to be extraordinarily sharp readers, for the most part.  I'd say if you feel you need beta readers, then asking them can't hurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts