Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most new authors, I'm discovering that reviews are a big deal.  Is anyone interested in reviewing The Weed Box (The Garden Club Series)?  It's free today. 

Or does anyone have any ideas about how to go about getting them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated : )

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Hey Cara.

I picked up a copy of your freebie - just to give your numbers an infinitesimal boost.

However, if you are looking for tips on how to get your book reviewed it is a pretty simple concept. Hunt for book blogging sites. They are as abundant as weeds in a poorly-kept garden. Check out their BOOK REVIEW POLICY. Most book bloggers will have one permanently posted somewhere fairly prominent on their blog. Try to find book bloggers who LIKE to read your sort of book. Don't send your brand new western novel - MY SPUR IS QUICK - to a book blogger who states in their book review policy something along the lines of "Frankly I think the western novel is deader than nineteen day old roadkill, kicked into a graveyard and picked clean by flies."

Come up with a proper book review request letter. A good book review request ought to read something like an invitation to a date. You want to intrigue that blogger/reviewer. You want them to think that your book is sexy, interesting, entertaining - a freaking must have book.

Then - when it comes to getting a copy to them - PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THEIR BOOK REVIEW POLICY.

Most book bloggers will clearly state - "I don't read e-books" or "I like to review e-books - especially in mobi format." or "I will only read review copies that have been printed in freshly-slain beaver blood smeared onto scrolls of birch bark."

Again - READ THAT BOOK REVIEW POLICY.

A lot of reviewers will say something like "I don't review self-published what-so-ever." DON'T waste your time sending review requests to them.

Here's my sample book review request for SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME.

Hello Cara,

I have an e-book available in both Kobo and Kindle format that I'd love to see reviewed in THE WEED BOX BOOK REVIEW COLUMN.

The book is a novelette. Now I know that most folks think that "novelette" is just a fancy way of saying "I got tired of writing", but I prefer to think of a novelette as being something more along the lines of a one-night stand kind of read. That's right - a novelette is in and out before you know it - with nothing but a slight hangover and a bad case of squirrel breath for your trouble.

And sometimes that is just exactly what the witch doctor asked for.

The novelette is called SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME and it deals with the story of over-the-hill bush league hockey team from Labrador who go toe-to-tooth with a tour bus full of vampires. And we are NOT talking sparkly vampires. Think SLAPSHOT meets 30 DAYS OF NIGHT and you are somewhere close to the mark. That may sound corny at first - but I believe you will be truly surprised at just how pure and real the characters are in this work.

The bonus story is a time travelling hockey tale that I call "Time Out".

The good news is you don't necessarily have to be a hockey fan to read this.

Here's what Gord Rollo, Canadian horror author, has to say about it.

"With Sudden Death Overtime, Vernon perfectly captures the dark heart of a Canadian Winter and the lifetime passion surrounding the game of hockey. He takes a group of old friends who never backed down from a fight on the ice when they were younger and still refuse to do so even when they're old enough to know better. Toss on the rink some memorable characters, truly great dialogue, a bus load of nasty vampires, and a shocking surprise ending that you won't see coming and you've got yourself a story that's sure to be a winner." - Gord Rollo

Famous Monsters of Filmland likewise reviewed the e-book - "Steve Vernon gets it right. "Sudden Death Overtime" hit all the right notes with me. A wonderful cast of characters, great dialogue between the characters and an evil bus full of vicious vampires."

Melissa from Tennessee had this to say in her Amazon.com review - "Steve Vernon did a wonderful job of crafting an original vampire story. His ability to weave a story with a flow that is virtually flawless is a testament to how good a storyteller he is. I loved the characters and their personable dialogue and was able to plant myself easily in Labrador."

C'mon, if I can make a Tennessee girl yearn for the cold and windblown shores of Labrador I must be doing something right!

Would you be interested in receiving a digital copy for review? I'd be glad to send you a copy in either Kindle or Kobo format.

I'd love to hear from you.

Yours in storytelling,

Steve Vernon
NOTE - I am a freaking windbag when it comes to writing review requests. Odds are you'd do a lot better keeping your book review requests short and sweet.

Hope that all helps.

If you are still interested I've written a whole entire blog entry on how-to-do-it.
http://stevevernonstoryteller.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/lets-review-the-art-of-getting-a-review/

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can find bloggers in your genre who take indies with Google and you can also go through top reviewers in Amazon who might be interested in your work.

There are also review only blog tours from FMB and GoddessFish tours.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Actually, the secret to acquiring Amazon reviewers is to start in the midlist reviewers - rather than try to hit the top-listed reviewers who are ALREADY swamped with reading/reviewing material. A lot of the top-rated Amazon reviewers don't even supply any contact info.

At least that's my thought on the matter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve Vernon said:
Actually, the secret to acquiring Amazon reviewers is to start in the midlist reviewers...
Okay, now I'm embarrassed...I don't know how to contact any reviewers. Where do these elusive reviewers reside exactly?

BTW, thank you for all of the nice replies. It's pretty special to get such a warm welcome and so much help. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
You may want to check out the Goodreads forums. Some forums allow you to post requests for reviews, and I've gotten in touch with potential reviewers that way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pjmorse said:
You may want to check out the Goodreads forums. Some forums allow you to post requests for reviews, and I've gotten in touch with potential reviewers that way.
Thank you, I will!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've had very good results with reviews from World Literary Cafe - you have to be a member, but it's free and they have many cross promotional opportunities for authors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts