Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't just assume a reviewer is qualified to write a review. There are many variables that can't be taken into account i.e. education, taste, personal vendettas.

If you see something like the following in a review, I wouldn't take the reviewer very seriously.

"Don't waste your time or money buying this book or downloading the sample."

Why wouldn't they want you to look at the sample?

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
anyone who reads a book is qualified to write a review. 

and remember, it's their opinion and they're entitled to it.  and you're entitled to disagree.

as to why someone would suggest not sampling, maybe because they didn't like the sample and want to save other people time.  remember, there are a lot more books to read then there are hours in the day.

as a side note to your post, i'd also tell people to be wary of constant 5 star reviewers, those who seem to love everything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with the 5 star comment.

One of these days Amazon is going to wake up and only allow reviews by people who have actually bought the book.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I'm sorry to see you didn't like my review. As we don't allow for the postings of entire Amazon reviews here on the boards, here's a link so that everybody can read the review in it's entirety.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2CAUNCK2MAQEU/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

When I read reviews, I don't read just the first line. Instead, I read the entire review to see why it is that a particular book is getting such a bad review. Just like when I review a book, I'm not reviewing just the sample that the author is trying to make look good, but the entire story. You know, the part that the author wants everybody to buy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link. I don't agree with your review or the other 2 reviews that were posted within minutes of each other, it's too much of a coincidence, esp since I didn't log a single sale of the book the day you and your message board friends posted a review.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
mazon.com order number: D01-6138121-41*****
Order Total: $0.99

Digital Order: Jul 10, 2009
Items Ordered
Price
The Misogynist [Kindle Edition]
By: Emily Downs
Sold By: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

$0.99
Item(s) Subtotal: $0.99
----
Total Before Tax: $0.99
Sales tax: $0.00
----
Total for this Order: $0.99

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone could have typed that text.  I am not going to go back and forth on this topic with you. The other board is where you guys can go and scream in unison.

I believe your opinion of me has lead you to give my work one star. There is no way my work deserves one star and I think it's suspect that you don't want people to read the sample.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
And it probably doesn't log as a sale because it was returned.

I'm sorry, I can't show you Jackie's receipt as well, but I can assure you she purchased it. Remember, she was quoting passages from it. The only way she would have access to those is to have purchased the book.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If the one "don't buy it" sentence was all she had written I might agree with you. I ignore those type of reviews.

But she backed up her reasons in her review and you have not addressed those issues, just used ad hominem attacks. I have no problem with an author disagreeing with a review and refuting specific points if possible....but attacking the reviewer and not her reasoning is not going to help your case.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I put this sentence in my review of your short story and I stand by it:

"As the author has stated that she wrote this quickly and did not bother to read her own work prior to publishing, I feel cheated out of my $.99 and my 20 minutes that it took to read this garbage."

Now, I don't know what you think a person should do to be "qualified" to post a review, but I review a lot of books and my best qualification is that I can read, spell, and know what a sentence is.

I think that's enough to qualify me.

Have you not yet learned that attacking readers and reviewers is NOT the way to go?

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
emilydowns said:
I agree with the 5 star comment.

One of these days Amazon is going to wake up and only allow reviews by people who have actually bought the book.
and how is amazon going to guarantee that. i buy books from sources other then amazon, so i can't review those there?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should only be able to review a book on Amazon that you bought at Amazon. The good far outweighs the bad. This will stop people from having their friends and family review their work, and it will keep people who had personal vendettas on message boards from bad mouthing your work.

Read the sample.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
emilydowns said:
You should only be able to review a book on Amazon that you bought at Amazon. The good far outweighs the bad. This will stop people from having their friends and family review their work, and it will keep people who had personal vendettas on message boards from bad mouthing your work.

Read the sample.
It wouldn't stop people from having friends and family review their work. They could just buy it & review it.

I am surprised that you are backing this up as you posted two 5 star reviews on your own work under different names until they were removed by Amazon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Red I hope you and your nephew finish that book you are working on so you can stop following me around yelling things that aren't true. I never had a fake review. You and your merry band of posters figured out you could check the "this is not helpful" button, till a review is removed. I have notified Amazon.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
emilydowns said:

Read the sample.
Have you stopped to think that people aren't buying your book because they HAVE read the sample? I doubt everybody listens to me. I have no personal vendettas against anybody here or there and you'll very rarely find me anywhere BUT here.

Please don't come into my home (and KindleBoards is my home) and start attacking me because you don't like what I had to say.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Folks, I'm locking this thread...I was actually going to merge it with another thread we already have on the same subject, which was a very good discussion. However, all heck has broken loose, I don't see any advantage to letting this continue.

Betsy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.