Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do some readers read a book and not bother to review it?  Has that happened to you?  I can tell by the number of books I sold and the number of reviews I got.  Does this mean they didn't like it or just don't like to write?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't think I've ever reviewed a book.  I've submitted reviews of various gadgets and computer hardware, but not books.  Dunno why; just not my thing I guess.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Beatrice Brusic said:
Why do some readers read a book and not bother to review it? Has that happened to you? I can tell by the number of books I sold and the number of reviews I got. Does this mean they didn't like it or just don't like to write?
The majority of people who read books don't review them, always been that way. There is no way to tell what percentage is just doing what they usually do -- not reviewing -- and what percentage is struck dumb with rampant dislike ( ;)), because it depends on your book.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If I wrote a review for every book I read I would have no time for anything else. 

Besides, when picking out books, I prefer word of mouth over written reviews anyway.  At least when I know the person I can gauge how similar our reading preferences are.  Reading an anonymous review online doesn't tell me that.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If I read a book and I like it, and 500 others like it, I don't bother. The same holds if I don't like a book and most of the reviews are negative. I will write a review if it has glowing reviews but I hated it, or vice versa. I usually find this when there are a few reviews (most likely all friends of the author - often people where this is there first review) who just love it. I then add my review for balance. Otherwise, I see no reason to be the 120th reviewer.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I must admit I've reviewed zero books in at least a decade (long before Kindle ebooks existed). I only did it then to make money. I joined up to a review site (epinions I think it was), and reviewed a few things, including books and computers I believe. Mainly as an income experiment. I also reviewed some books on my web site, using related affiliate links. But that fizzled too.

One problem with writing reviews is that it's a skill or talent of its own. Just because you can write books doesn't mean you're automatically good at writing a review too. So it's not necessarily easy for people. And I'm one of those people. Sure, I can write one sentence like 'I found Snow Crash to be the most fun read I've had in years!'. But I sure don't like expanding upon that.

Unfortunately, writing book reviews seems somewhat related skill-wise to writing the product description for your own books on Amazon-- and so I've had a stumble or two there too (darn it!). Ha, ha.

So anyway, it's not all that easy for many of us to write reviews. And for those that it is, they still require some motivation as well. Unfortunately, I expect over 50% will more usually be motivated by something they didn't like about a book, than what they did (since even US elections often hinge more upon what people dislike, than what they like). Yikes!

But maybe some Amazon reviewers mostly do it for the feedback they get on Amazon from it, somehow. I'm not entirely clear on what feedback they get and how, but there has to be some reason they're willing to put an effort into such things.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Reading is for entertainment - reviewing is work (unless someone feels so strongly about the book that it becomes therapeutic). So no, the two have never meshed particularly well.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I agree that reviewing does feel like work for some people, and, for other people it brings out their insecurities. (Who am I?) Or, they empathy. (I'd hate to have my work put out there and have someone maybe say mean stuff.) There are people who do it out of quid pro quo or because they changed the author's diaper. The people who really like doing it are going to be the minority, and they're unlikely to have a goal that meshes with the author's goal -- but the authors keep forgetting that.  :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
jmiked said:
Why should I review a book? I'm not under any obligation to do that just because I read it.

Mike
This exactly. Unless the person actually said they were gonna review it, why should they have to? It could even be possible that they didn't like the book or it was boring to them.

·
Registered
445 Posts
J.R.Mooneyham said:
But maybe some Amazon reviewers mostly do it for the feedback they get on Amazon from it, somehow. I'm not entirely clear on what feedback they get and how, but there has to be some reason they're willing to put an effort into such things.
I submit computer hardware/gadget reviews when I feel very strongly about something - either it rocks my world or it totally sucks. Basically, the 5-star and 1-star items. And, at least for me, hardware reviews write themselves. It does A, B and C well; it always crashes when you do D after B; it blew smoke out the back of my computer; etc. Books, well, that's a different beast! Even though I almost exclusively read sci/tech books, and not fiction, it still feels too 'touchy-feely' and subjective to critique someone else's writing. :-\

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have read tons of books in my lifetime and have never and never will write a review. If I like a book I will tell others about it, if I don't, I don't say anything.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
nomesque said:
Reading is for entertainment - reviewing is work.
This, and

kindlegrl81 said:
If I wrote a review for every book I read I would have no time for anything else.
this. Besides, have you read the comments about reviews and reviewers in the Writer's Cafe? There are too many "reviews of the reviewers". Complaints if the reviewer's writing doesn't sound like (or isn't) a professional themselves. Complaints if there is anything negative in the review. Complaints if the review is positive but doesn't give 5 stars. Complaints of too many spoilers in a review. Complaints that there wasn't enough information in the review to know if they really read the book. Those are a few I can remember off the top of my head. Why would I want to write a review?

Authors of the books I read will have to settle for my word of mouth whether I love, like or dislike their book.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't think I've ever reviewed a paper book I've bought, and I'm sure as heck not going to start just because i bought an ebook.

I think i have done 2-3 on iBooks, but I find the iTunes integration of reviews easier and less thinking about it.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Beatrice Brusic said:
Why do some readers read a book and not bother to review it?
Have you reviewed every book you have read?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
crebel said:
This, and

this. Besides, have you read the comments about reviews and reviewers in the Writer's Cafe? There are too many "reviews of the reviewers". Complaints if the reviewer's writing doesn't sound like (or isn't) a professional themselves. Complaints if there is anything negative in the review. Complaints if the review is positive but doesn't give 5 stars. Complaints of too many spoilers in a review. Complaints that there wasn't enough information in the review to know if they really read the book. Those are a few I can remember off the top of my head. Why would I want to write a review?

Authors of the books I read will have to settle for my word of mouth whether I love, like or dislike their book.
This

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm fairly recent to Amazon.com and the "world of reviewing," but when I became an author I made a concerted effort to review. I have to agree with some of the other readers though, it is time and work. Maybe shorter reviews or just a star rating is sufficient since everyone is so busy(?)

It's a difficult balance when one is a huge reader and just wants to "dig into" the next novel...seems like the reviewing gets in the way of the priority to read. Yet, if we don't review, other readers may not be able to make as educated a decision without our [collective] opinions.

On goodreads, I find posting a star rating without a [text] review is the best of both worlds. I have reviewed work(s) but it is usually done for the paper I work for, then I C&P to my blog and goodreads as well.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Beatrice Brusic said:
Why do some readers read a book and not bother to review it? Has that happened to you? I can tell by the number of books I sold and the number of reviews I got. Does this mean they didn't like it or just don't like to write?
Why would most readers review a book? There's simply no reason for most people to review. They are readers. They read, they enjoy, they go to the next one!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll review a book if I really enjoyed it AND it feels to me that the author hasn't gotten enough love for it. So I've done one or two ;)

But mostly what's been said above applies. Reviewing is WORK if you want to do it right. I'm reading for escape, not a homework assignment. Plus, what crebel said about complaints. Some people you just can't please...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts