Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I finished the final two books in my trilogy and will be publishing them in the coming months. But before I do, I want to replace my current book 1 with the revision I wrote.

I rewrote the first chapter.
Changed the POV throughout the book.
Made revisions.
Changed the cover.

Should I simply replace my current book 1, or should I treat this as a true revision and consider it a new book?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Steve Margolis said:
Hey everyone.

I finished the final two books in my trilogy and will be publishing them in the coming months. But before I do, I want to replace my current book 1 with the revision I wrote.

I rewrote the first chapter.
Changed the POV throughout the book.
Made revisions.
Changed the cover.

Should I simply replace my current book 1, or should I treat this as a true revision and consider it a new book?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Steve
If you've only sold a few, are keeping the same title, and you want to retain the book's history (maybe you have some good reviews or something) just update it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

J. Tanner said:
If you've only sold a few, are keeping the same title, and you want to retain the book's history (maybe you have some good reviews or something) just update it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The cover and first chapter do not sound too big, but what about the POV? How extensive is the POV change? If it's a chapter or two you could keep it as the same book. If it's the whole book, I'd consider new edition/new book.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am in a very similar situation. I am in the process of reviving a 4-year-old book and to do so I've done new cover, new blurb and some editing and re-writing. The overall story and bits are the same but I've added some extended character background and filled in some shallow plot areas. I have a re-launch date of February 14 and I haven't decide whether I want to declare the book a "2nd edition" or just update the file and roll with it. The book has under 20 reviews and I never did any promo for it so it didn't get any traction back when it was published.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I sold about 800 copies of a book before it died on the vine. A few years later I changed the POV to accommodate a series and didn't change the length or the cover. Never heard any complaints. As for the sales and the series, it never took off. I did sell more of the first, but not too many of the next two. My moral? Wish I'd just started fresh instead of putting the time I did into trying to revive the original.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm. These recent comments make me lean more toward a new edition. I kinda like the idea of starting fresh- new look, new POV, new marketing. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts