Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is good news or great news. I'm really glad that the Discworld won't just go away when Terry Pratchett can no longer weave its tales, but time will tell whether his daughter will be good enough to replace him at it. She's a pretty accomplished writer herself in the gaming industry and is working on the new series based on the guard books, but it'll be hard to replace Sir Terry.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/terry-pratchett-reveals-he-will-hand-off-discworld-to-his-daughter

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of people seem to think she's ghost written some of his latest novels, but that's just wild speculation as far as I can tell. I haven't really read any of her stuff knowing that it is her stuff. I played one of the games she wrote for... I don't recall it being a triumph in storytelling or anything. He apparently signed over intellectual rights to her back in October. I can't think of anything where we'd really get a good sense of her writing style that she's done, the Mirror's Edge graphic novels would be closest but she coauthored those and I somehow don't think they're humorous.

http://rhiannapratchett.com/index.php is her official site.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Huge Pratchett fan, so it will be a sad day when he finally leaves us.

Hopefully it works out well, and not like Dune, which turned out poorly when another generation tried to keep it going.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
So much of what makes the Discworld books work for me is Sir Terry's prose combined with his themes and world view. The odds that his daughter has the same world view and thematic interests are unknown to me, though one might hope the acorn didn't fall too far from the oak. The likelihood that she has the same writing skill is probably a lot more slender, but then that would apply to over 99% of the authors out there. And looking at how many books Mr. Pratchett wrote before he truly hit his stride compared with how many books (not screen plays) his daughter has written, the likelihood of her coming right out of the chute with anything truly memorable would have to be pretty slim.

I'll certainly wait to see the reviews before sampling anything, if and when the occasion arises.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is an interesting trend. I believe Orson Scott Card just co-authored a novel of some sort with his daughter as well. I doubt they'll be as good but if her father wants to give her a chance and still be there as an advisor, I don't see a huge problem with it.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got some clarification on this... kind of disappointed and relieved at the same time.

"Some of the newspapers have reported that Rhianna Pratchett will take over writing Discworld novels after Terry stops.  Rhianna and Terry actually meant that Rhianna is well placed to concentrate on co-writing the adaptations for Narrativia and working on spin off works because of her in depth knowledge of Discworld.  Rhianna has no plans to write Discworld novels as she feels Discworld these should remain her father’s legacy."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts