Votes: 53 35.6%
  • Very large: more than 10 cups

Votes: 10 6.7%
1 - 20 of 1621 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was put on a diet that required more whole grains than meat, and so I discovered the very much underappreciated Rice Maker.  I hate cooking! So this discovery was awsome.  Its like a crockpot, in an 1/8 of the time.  Throw all your ingredients in, and forget it, 30-45min later, a real 1 pot meal. (and healthier too, no need to oil a pan)  So far, Ive created quite a few flavorful meals that require minimal effort, a must for me.  Red Beans & Rice W/ Ham, unFried Rice, Chicken rice and veg., and tonight a Chicken Stir Fry that turned out way better than expected.  I cant be the only one, so I was wondering if any of you had any recipes to share.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't have a rice cooker but now you have me interested.  What are some of your recipes and how many people do they feed?

Thanks for the great idea!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is a 8 cup ricemaker, but you can make as little or as much as you want in it.  For example, Tonight's recipe
Chicken Stir Fry
1c Rice (real,not quick)
1c water
peanut sauce (to taste)
Stir, hit start.  The rice absorbs the flavor of the peanut sauce as it cooks. Walk Away!
After 1/2 hr, when rice is almost done. I added:
10 oz cooked shredded chicken
2 140z bags of Ralphs Stir Fry Veg w/noodles
soy sauce to taste.
Stir well. Walk Away!
10 min later

DONE

This fed me and my son, with leftovers for dad,  But son is 16 and eats enough for 2 1/2 Adults.  Once I finished adding all the ingredients the ricemaker was pretty full, and one cup of uncooked rice is enough for your typical casserole.  I used Basamiti rice tonight.
But, Ive also cooked rice a roni in it too, with the advantage of not having to baby sit a pan.

Oh yeah, the veg were frozen, no need to thaw, and they turned out perfectly cooked, not mushy.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
We have a rice cooker and love it. After living in Hawaii for 3 years and learning what rice was supposed to be like we bought one because I'd never get it right on the stove. We have friends who we have for dinner with some frequency; he always raves about our rice, well, she pretty much only uses Minute Rice which is, well, a useful product, but just not the same. Ours is a Zojirushi, kind of like this one

but actually bigger and, of course, an older model. We usually just make white rice but have done brown and long grain and have occasionally added flavors too, depending on what we're serving it with. If you want to eat more rice but find it a pain to cook, give it a try!

Ann

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
That's a good question, Angela.  Is there a difference between a cooker and a steamer? 
deb

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm using this one right now. I didn't know I could get in the US so I brought it from Japan. We eat rice every day so rice cooker is very important for my family. (at least to me. my daughters can't tell the difference)

Humm, I didn't know I could get this here. Maybe I'll get this. It's too heavy to bring from Japan... Thanks for asking about the rice cooker. ;D Anyways, I use this in Japan. Rice taste best when cooked with this. I buy unpolished rice (brown rice) and polish rice right before cooking. Or I cook unpolished rice since it's good for the health. With this every rice shines and tenderness is just right. It's very easy to cook with this too. Just need to watch the flame and time or else it will burn (but burn taste good too and my husband love it.) It seems there's recipes in their site. You can cook those with electric rice cooker too. :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Shizu said:
I'm using this one right now. I didn't know I could get in the US so I brought it from Japan. We eat rice every day so rice cooker is very important for my family. (at least to me. my daughters can't tell the difference)

I have that rice cooker here in PA :) I bought it from amazon.com last year! Ha. I just use it for rice. I haven't figured out how to do all the fancy mixed dishes it mentions in the owner's manual. I'm such a loser that way.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hmmmm....I have been wanting a rice cooker but didn't think that I would use it very much.  (I hate to cook, too) but if we started posting easy RECIPIES like the one above.....well, now, that would change everything....

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I would have never thought of using the rice cooker for a meal. thanks for the great idea. Oh and I'm bad figuring out how/what to cook so any recipes would be appreciated!!  Grabed the stir fry chicken one! 

theresam

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Angela said:
I have a Black & Decker Rice Steamer like this one (but older). Would it work?

I don't know how it works but it says "Steamer and Rice Cooker" at Amazon so... it should?? I think you have to read the instruction.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I love my rice cooker.... We eat rice perhaps once a week....

We've been trying to add more grains to our meals.... I bought some quinoa some time ago, cooked it in a pot per instructions I found somewhere.... My husband hated it (it was kinda sticky and mealy). The next time, I put it in the rice cooker. It came out light and fluffy and tasted fabulous. The cooker is definitely good for cooking more than just rice.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is an Aroma 8 cup, its stainless steel and black, so not awful to have out on the counter.  It has buttons for: Steam, White rice, and Brown rice.  I did alot of research before buying it, and I have no complaints. You can use it just as a steamer, or for every rice imaginable.  Before I bought it I didn't know there was anything other than minute rice.  Ha Ha. Try this one:

Ham W/ red beans & rice

1 md.    onion chopped
2 cloves garlic
2t.        salt
2t.        chili powder
1/2t.    peper
2 15oz. cans kidney beans (or beans of choice)
2c        wild rice blend  (I use Rice Select -Royal Blend) It comes in a 32oz plastic jar at Ralphs
l lb.      ham cubed (I cube up a boneless hamsteak)
water

Put onion and garlic in ricemaker, on white rice setting, it will saute, while you prep other stuff
drain beans into measuring cup, then add enough water to make 5 1/2 c.
Pour liquid, salt, pepper, and chili powder into rice maker, stir well
Add rice, beans, and ham.  Stir it up
cook on brown rice setting
Walk Away!

If you happen to walk by the kitchen it wouldn't hurt to stir near the end.
Brown rice setting takes longer, cuz brown, and wild rices take longer.
About 2 hr for this one.  but YUMMY

Once again, this recipe fills up the entire 8 cup ricemaker, Its alot of filling food, but when I made it the first time I only made half of this recipe, and was yelled at  ::) because there were no leftovers.  So this is the doubled version. 

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I have a Panasonic rice cooker that my mom gave me over thirty years ago when I left home. She used a rice cooker when we were growing up that my Japanese born and raised aunt gave her, so I pretty much never cooked rice any other way. I know mine has a steamer tray inside and the recipes call for cooking other things in it, but I've only ever used it for rice.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
for folks doing recipes in their rice cookers - do the smells get into rice cooked plain later on - probably a stupid questions but I don't know what materials the cooker is inside ....

I would love to be able to do the recipes and still have plain rice other times ...

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
rho said:
for folks doing recipes in their rice cookers - do the smells get into rice cooked plain later on - probably a stupid questions but I don't know what materials the cooker is inside ....

I would love to be able to do the recipes and still have plain rice other times ...
Mine is a fairly simple Black & Decker rice cooker (no steaming tray, etc.) - the fabulous one we brought home from Japan 20 years ago finally croaked, but you can still "cook" whole meals in it. The removable insert is stainless steel and washes up easily - no transfer of taste to the next use. BTW the ham and bean recipe above is great. I make one where everything is the same except using white rice and replacing about half of the liquid with coconut milk and you end up with Carribean rice and beans. There are lots of appliances and utensils I would get rid of in my kitchen before parting with a rice cooker!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have two of the older (white) version of this one:

Zojirushi 10-cup Induction heating rice cooker. It rules, and since we got the first one just over two years ago, we now have rice 5+ days a week. We buy 25-lb bags of Jasmine and Japanese brown rice (an oxymoron, I know) and put them in their own rice dispensers, plus have a variety of smaller containers with different kinds.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You guys are just evil -- I have lived 56 years without a rice cooker now I am obsessing over one ... but I do admit that I hate worrying that I am going to burn my rice when I make it - I tend to obsess about that too -- gee I obsess about a lot of things I guess  :eek:

1 - 20 of 1621 Posts