Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching Kindlebooks (via the boards link) to download the recommended Wives and Sisters:

I pulled it up; the price was $6.99
Read a couple of the reviews and clicked back to the title page and instantly:  It went up to $9.99 right before my eyes.  Just for that; I didn't download it.

(Unless you guys say it's a must read worth the $9.99)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've had this happen to me on some items.... It'll probably go back down to $6.99 at some point.... If it was me, I would wait.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh Pidge:  I can always count on you.  So reliable; so dear to many of us.  Thanks.

That happened with a Tom Robbins book.  Went from $3.99 to $9.99 instantly; so he didn't get my $$ either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OH that sucks.  I would wait to see if it goes back down.  But don't listen to me I'm the one who chose the free shipping for my K2 because I refuse to pay for shipping whenever possible and have been impatiently stalking the amazon site refreshing my order status waiting for it to ship for a week now.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NOW it's back down to $6.99  Prices are jumping erratically.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
koolmnbv said:
That has never happened to me yet. I'm glad it went back down for you.
sjc said:
NOW it's back down to $6.99 Prices are jumping erratically.
That has happened to me a few times. I always wait it out; it usually doesn't take long for the price to come down.

Koolmnbv, do you feel like you are being followed?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Does this have anything to do with demand, trends, purchasing patterns on Kindle books?  ::)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have seen this happen as well, most recently with a couple of books going from $9.99 to $14.??.  I find it sort of fascinating to watch the publishers and the marketplace sorting through this price setting process.  I can't think of any book that I needed to have so much that I could wait a while and watch the pricing adjust.  Then again, I would prefer to go to a movie in a relatively calm and quiet theater several weeks after it has opened as opposed to working to find a seat on opening day.  I may have just defined "old."

Van...

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Van, that is too funny, and too true. 

deb

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Van in Arlington said:
Then again, I would prefer to go to a movie in a relatively calm and quiet theater several weeks after it has opened as opposed to working to find a seat on opening day. I may have just defined "old."

Van...
No, that's not old. Old is: I'd just as soon wait until the DVD comes out and watch it at home where the popcorn and soda doesn't cost $20. :D

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I remember reading once that because of the way Amazon tracks its users activity, it can actually show different prices to different people. Not sure if it's true, if it is still true if it was true before, or if it would affect something with as low a price (relatively speaking) as an ebook. I also think Amazon's site gets a bit schizo sometimes, so I'm not sure these price shifts are always intentional.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
No, that's not old. Old is: I'd just as soon wait until the DVD comes out and watch it at home where the popcorn and soda doesn't cost $20. :D
And the bathroom is close, and I can pause it when I go to the bathroom. It's also practical.
deb

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I love how things just change at any time. They make the sale time end but don't tell you the exact time it ends.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shove the soda, candy, and popcorn from home in my oversized purse.  When the theaters start selling the candy and such at reasonable prices; then I'll start paying.  Until then, I'll keep sneaking things in. 

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Old is:  When my husband and I were dating we would see a DOUBLE FEATURE for .99 cents!!  Now a movie
          in these parts costs $10.75...ridiculous.  I too, wait for it to come out on DVD.  NETFLIX is a
          wonderful thing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've had the same thing happen at least once, and it's probably an issue of them adjusting prices right as you're viewing the item. It's unfortunate, but it happens.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I remember reading once that because of the way Amazon tracks its users activity, it can actually show different prices to different people. Not sure if it's true, if it is still true if it was true before, or if it would affect something with as low a price (relatively speaking) as an ebook. I also think Amazon's site gets a bit schizo sometimes, so I'm not sure these price shifts are always intentional.
Greg - this is true. I read this while at work a few years ago, and told the friend who sits next to me. We both logged into the Amazon site at the same time under our respective accounts, looked up the same item -and got 2 different prices. This happened with several items, although not all of them. I've also decided that the more times you look at something, the more they'll think you really want it and they'll raise the price!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts