Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/harlan-ellison-dead-dies-star-trek-1202861048/

My husband called him up one night many decades ago, when you could call Information and give them someone's name and home city and they'd put you through to them, and to his surprise, Mr. Ellison was really cool about it and actually talked to him for quite a while. Apparently, he was a very vulgar and entertaining conversationalist.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Damn ... I loved his work. The world was better with him in it, he had an eye for the soul and shared it for a dollar.

We find ourselves in odd places at various times, and for a brief span we link our lives to others even as Lizette had linked her arm with mine and then, our time elapsed we move apart. Through a haze of pain occasionally, usually through a veil of memory that clings, then passes; sometimes as though we have never touched.

Harlan Ellison Death Bird Stories

My friend of starless nights, when we had gone sailing together through the darkness. My friend who had walked with me on endless tours of empty places. My friend of gentle nature and constant companionship. Until Lizette, my friend, my only friend, my familiar assigned to an onerous task, who had come to love me and to whom I had belonged, even as he had belonged to me.

Harlan Ellison Death Bird Stories

W

·
0 Posts
I read his work years ago, and I loved it. I'm not one to remember lines from a book, but his quote "I have no mouth. And I must scream," is one that I remember to this day, and it floats into my head whenever i feel trapped in a horrible situation.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Oh, no! RIP, brother. :(  I have lost a guiding light. I just pulled my 50th anniversary Kirk and Spock out to be nearby. City on the Edge of Forever is one of my favorite episodes.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Ellison, but I've certainly heard stories from those who knew him.

On that, I'd like to say, "Rest In Peace." But I somehow feel that would go against his grain. More likely, he's raising hell on the other side!

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
He wasn’t one of my favorites,  but he was very, very good. Yet another of the Old Guard gone.  :'(

·
Registered
608 Posts
Harlan was a favorite of mine ever since I ran across his work as a high-schooler in Chicago more than 50 years ago.  When he was cookin' (which was often) there weren't many writers who could equal him; if the Library of America didn't already have a few volumes of his work in mind before today, then the editors there aren't as sharp as I thought they were.

Several sites have already quoted his afterword to THE ESSENTIAL ELLISON: "For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered."  Harlan's passing puts me more in mind of a portion of his obituary for Theodore Sturgeon (and I'm substituting a few of Harlan's titles for the Sturgeon stories he cited in the obit): "He was as good as you get at this writing thing, and no one who ever read 'Shatterday' or 'Jeffty Is Five' or 'Paladin of the Lost Hour' got away clean because he could squeeze your heart until your life ached..."

Man, could he ever.

One of the greats.  If you haven't read him, check out the collections SHATTERDAY, ANGRY CANDY, SLIPPAGE, GENTLEMAN JUNKIE, and LOVE AIN'T NOTHING BUT SEX MISSPELLED, all available for Kindle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts