Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett-author-of-the-discworld-series-dies-aged-66

Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld series, dies aged 66

Sir Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld series of novels who had early-onset Alzheimer's disease, has died aged 66, his publishers have announced.

He passed away in his home, with his cat sleeping on his bed surrounded by his family on Thursday.

He completed his last book, a new Discworld novel, in the summer of 2014.

Larry Finlay, MD at Transworld Publishers, said in a statement: "The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds."

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away...” (Reaper Man)

Then live on forever, Sir Terry Pratchett.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
NogDog said:
O.
M.
G.

I'm almost crying, and I've never met him except through his wonderful writing.

:(
I did meet him a couple of times, at signings and once in the street (I grew up not far from his home). He was just as wonderful in person as you'd hope.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
One of my favourite authors. Deeply saddened. The only crumb of comfort is that he left us before that awful disease could completely eat away at his mental faculties. He didn't want to go no longer knowing who he was. Rest easy, Sir Terry.

·
Registered
780 Posts
alawston said:
"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away..." (Reaper Man)

Then live on forever, Sir Terry Pratchett.
Yes, he lives on forever in his books. I am also glad he was able to keep his dignity and that the Reaper Man did his job swiftly and mercifully. But it is a sad loss for all of us who loved him, and the world seems a bit darker today.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
No No No No No No No

just no

We were lucky enough to get to a Discworld convention a few years ago and got to shake Sir Terry's hand.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was lucky enough to hear him speak in Sydney a few years back, and judging by the reaction of the crowd, every person in the packed auditorium had been as profoundly affected by his books as I'd been. It was electric, we ran overtime, and the standing ovation felt as though it could have gone on forever.

His legacy lives on, the turtle moves, but yes, I think I'll just have a quiet day today.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yesterday, even without meeting him, I couldn't really say anything. I tried multiple times to get words together and they wouldn't.

Today, I have to go to work in 15 minutes. In a school. And I don't care I'm breaking dress code in order to wear my discworld hoodie. They won't mind, they are probably more saddened people. And introducing my students to discworld is a bonus. I have enough on my kindle to read some aloud.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
No better way to remember the brilliant Terry Pratchett than by reading or re-reading one of his books. This one has it all - dilemmas of choice, comradeship, courage, action and drama - and that special brand of humour and humanity that was the author's special talent.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Daphne said:
No better way to remember the brilliant Terry Pratchett than by reading or re-reading one of his books. This one has it all - dilemmas of choice, comradeship, courage, action and drama - and that special brand of humour and humanity that was the author's special talent.

If I could only read one Discworld book, that would be it. :) However, right now I'm thinking I soon might read through the Rincewind books as my personal celebration of Sir Terry's life, as I have not re-read any of them in quite some time.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
SarahCarter said:
Couldn't believe this when I heard. Didn't imagine we'd lose him so soon :(
This. Since he released a book last summer, I felt sure that the disease had not progressed so far.

Time to reread. I adore Rincewind. And Luggage.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm still going through an internal fight about whether I can justify buying all his books I don't own on kindle that are on kindle right now, and then binging all of them. I have a decent amount of discworld, but not enough on kindle, and mostly only the early books.

I feel a need to, but, I feel a "he wrote so much that it'd be so expensive" at the same time.

But, I think I can say without hesitation that of all celebrities, I cannot think of one who's death would affect me more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts