Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these boards are technically Kindle-related and I haven't seen his stuff available, but I wondered if anyone out there shares my love of Robert McCammon. Not only did he write some awesome books -- Swan Song, Boy's Life, and the Matthew Corbett books, to name a few -- he's from my home state of Alabama. :)

Any other fans out there? What's your favorite book by McCammon?

He's got a new one out: The Five. I got it as soon as it came out, but after reading 100 pages I gave up. I just couldn't get into it, and I hate that because I've loved just about every other thing he's written.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd have to say Boys Life is probably my favorite book ever, of any genre. I also enjoyed Speaks the Nightbird, but for some reason I couldn't get into The Queen of Bedlam. I wasn't aware he had a new book out. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more than you did!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Huge fan ! Swan Song and Gone South are two of my favorite books of any genre. McCammon is easily one of my all time favorite writers.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I used to read him regularly in the late 80s and early 90s, but then he went on a self imposed hiatus for a long time and I never reconnected after he started publishing again. I heard one reviewer call The Five his best book after Boy's Life and mentioned McCammon's love of music really shines through. Now I don't really care much for music so I'm probably going to skip this novel on that comment alone. Maybe not the best way to judge a novel, but there are so many other books out there I can indulge in whimsical for not picking up a book.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geemont said:
I heard one reviewer call The Five his best book after Boy's Life and mentioned McCammon's love of music really shines through.
Yep, and Stephen King said it was McCammon's best book, period. It really bums me that I couldn't get into it.

His The Wolf's Hour is on my shortlist to re-read; I found a copy at the used bookstore recently.

(odd tidbit about me: Stephen King is easily my favorite author, yet I almost never seem to like the same books he does)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Bleekness said:
But then he took some time off--or he was researching or something, and he came out with a series on witches? Is that right? After such a long hiatus between reads, getting into his new series just didn't click with me. The subject matter didn't appeal. I've seen the Amazon page with "The Five" and I was thinking a"Alright! Another "The SCREAM!" but after reading the description, I thought no.
It was my understanding that McCammon wanted to get out of the horror genre, but his publishers kept pushing him for horror books even though Boy's Life and Gone South did well. When they wouldn't support his non-horror books, I heard he actually quit writing for a long time. Years later, he came out with the Matthew Corbett series, which I enjoyed, and did well.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Aw!  So bummed to hear about the latest book being so difficult.  I am a  huge fan of McCammon.  I love A Boy's Life. What a great novel.  He kind of vanished there for a while and I was so looking forward to the new book.

·
Registered
538 Posts
At the beginning of Gone South, there is a passage he wrote explaining his hiatus from the publishing world and it is one of the most inspiring pieces of literature I've ever read. Has anyone else read this ?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Matthew Corbett books were outstanding, and I really hope he chooses to write more of them.

We even have a cat named Corbett because of those books. :)

(He was one of four kittens I rescued from a holly bush at work, whom we christened "The Bookworms" : Reacher, Corbett, Rhyme, and Bolitar. Props to anyone who recognizes all four characters!)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I had read that Stephen King had read this and said it was a pretty good book. Even without King's say-so....I read the plot and figured I wouldn't mind spending an afternoon or two with the book.

So I went to kindle and saw that it isn't even available in that format!!??

What gives?
I mean I can see if the kindle date is a month or two from the release of the hardcover since publishers would want to see a return on their investment for the hardcover version. But to not even have it featured as a kindle book is strange.

While this is my first McCammon book, it looks as though he has several novels under his belt, so he isn't the kind of risk that a first time writer would be.

And yet.... I have the book on order from the library and I'm on a waiting list- which could take months!

Yes, I COULD hunt down a paper copy or even order it through Amazon and yet the cheapest version is 17 bucks (plus the standard 3.99 shipping fee)

IF it were a kindle e-book I'd be reading it NOW and not even here on the board complaining

Anyone have any further info on this book?
Or.... anyone else have experience with being frustrated at not being able to get hold of a really good book they'd like to read on kindle only to find that no-one at the publisher seemed to take the time and trouble to get the process going so that fans of that author can read his or her latest product? Especially from an author with an established fan base/track record.

Finally- I DID click on the feature on that page indicating that yes, I would like to read the book in kindle format. But as I have indicated- I have made the decision to buy a copy and I prefer a Kindle version. And yet, here I sit with no book.

What kind of customer service is this?

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
Blame the author/publisher who hasn't made it available as an ebook. :-\

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
FrankZubek said:
Or.... anyone else have experience with being frustrated at not being able to get hold of a really good book they'd like to read on kindle only to find that no-one at the publisher seemed to take the time and trouble to get the process going so that fans of that author can read his or her latest product?
Publishers have limited resources (in many case ebooks are farmed out to other companies), and there are hundreds of thousands of books to convert. The math says it will take a long time for most books to get converted.

Mike

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
WM Ollie.....
As I said-
Normally I would jump all over the hardcover but times are tough these days financially
While the book has many good reviews there are a bit too many bad ones as a counter point
So I have it on order from the library (for free)
I'd like to read it now of course but then, there is no Kindle version as yet and the hardcover just came out so the mass market paperback is a while off.

And so..... I wait.

@ Jmiked.....I understand your point but it doesn't make it less frustrating
Oh well. I do have other books on my Kindle but the plot of this one sounds so good I would jump it to the front of my TBR pile
Oh well

1 - 20 of 42 Posts