Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have one and what do you all think -- my bday is coming up and I was thinking it could be a good thing to have since I watch instant Netflix movies on my laptop a lot and with summer coming (and no AC) it would be more comfortable to watch on the tv instead of the laptop.

if anyone has one I will be asking questions on hooking it up I'm sure ....  ;D


edited to add --- please move this to the proper area I just realized it is in the wrong spot -- sorry    :-[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I have one - it works great!  Works with all different types of TVs/cables including HDMI.  The picture quality is generally very good if you have a fast internet connection.  I would recommend a 5 MB/s or better connection.  Works using wifi or network cable.  Much easier to watch long movies on a TV rather than a laptop screen when at home.  It is very small (size of 2-3 CD cases stacked together).  Included remote is very basic, but I taught my Logitech Harmony remote to control it.

As a bonus the Roku now works with Amazon's video on demand system.  You can rent and/or buy movies that can be watched on your TV via the Roku.  They even have HD movies.  Prices seem to be about a $1 less than using the video on demand that my cable company charges for VOD movies.

Was definitely worth $99 to me since I already had a netflix account!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eneisch said:
I have one - it works great! Works with all different types of TVs/cables including HDMI. The picture quality is generally very good if you have a fast internet connection. I would recommend a 5 MB/s or better connection. Works using wifi or network cable. Much easier to watch long movies on a TV rather than a laptop screen when at home. It is very small (size of 2-3 CD cases stacked together). Included remote is very basic, but I taught my Logitech Harmony remote to control it.

As a bonus the Roku now works with Amazon's video on demand system. You can rent and/or buy movies that can be watched on your TV via the Roku. They even have HD movies. Prices seem to be about a $1 less than using the video on demand that my cable company charges for VOD movies.

Was definitely worth $99 to me since I already had a netflix account!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
thanks - my main question right now is - my wireless and modem are across the room from the TV will that be a problem with the hook up -- we have cable tv internet (optimum) so I am thinking that is good ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
glad you posted this, I was thinking of getting one too.  Can the Roku be used as a DVR too or does it only act as a player for Netflix and Amazon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as I understand it only works as a player for Netflix and Amazon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
Don't know if any of you have kids with X-boxes, but the X-box works as a netflix watch now server too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
no, the only kids are us - we have a PS2, PS3 and a Wii but no Xbox.  :D

We've had Netflix forever so I think it will be great, just was hoping it could record TV too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hazeldazel said:
no, the only kids are us - we have a PS2, PS3 and a Wii but no Xbox. :D

We've had Netflix forever so I think it will be great, just was hoping it could record TV too.
yeah I'm like you I have a PS2 and a Wii but no Xbox -- --

I think I just figured out my BDay present -- well part of it since I just spent over $200 for hubbies present today (his bday is 12 days later than mine) so I should get the same amount right since I have to pick out and order my own presents for bdays and everything else that presents are required ;)

Plus when I get this I will do away with the HBO portion of our Cable tv and that will save $11 month :D

so to those that have it hooked up already -- what will I need to get to hook it up to my wireless (remember my wireless and modem are both on the other side of the room from the TV)

edited to add should I get the Roku Premium Cable Pack that has teh 6 ft cables included? Or just go with the regular the difference in price is 99.99 to 119.98 - would I just ahve to buy those cables later at Radio Shack or something.... just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I place the order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Rho -

You should have no problem connecting it to your wireless network from across a room.  I believe that Optimum cable is indeed very fast and shoud be more than enough to get the best quality picture out of the roku.  All you need to get it going is to know you wireless router's network ID name and the security code (if you have one).  Really the same settings you would need to know when attaching a computer to your wireless network.  The on-TV menus walks you through the network connection setup step by step.  I found it to be very easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
rho said:
edited to add should I get the Roku Premium Cable Pack that has teh 6 ft cables included? Or just go with the regular the difference in price is 99.99 to 119.98 - would I just ahve to buy those cables later at Radio Shack or something.... just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I place the order.
Depends on what kind of TV you will be hooking it up to. The cables that come with it are regular composite cables with one plug for video and two plugs for sound. You will not get a hi def picture with these cables regardless of whether you have an HDTV.

The premium cable pack includes an HDMI cable and a component video cable. Both are capable of delivering hi def video.

You really don't need both cables if you know how you are going to connect them to the TV. The price that Roku offers them at of $19.99 is pretty good though. If you go to Radio Shack you will probably spend that amount on one of the two cables. You can find cables cheaper online though (www.monoprice.com is a great cable site). I wound up just getting the cable pack. I used the HDMI cable for my Roku, but I had another use for the component cables anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eneisch said:
Depends on what kind of TV you will be hooking it up to. The cables that come with it are regular composite cables with one plug for video and two plugs for sound. You will not get a hi def picture with these cables regardless of whether you have an HDTV.

The premium cable pack includes an HDMI cable and a component video cable. Both are capable of delivering hi def video.

You really don't need both cables if you know how you are going to connect them to the TV. The price that Roku offers them at of $19.99 is pretty good though. If you go to Radio Shack you will probably spend that amount on one of the two cables. You can find cables cheaper online though (www.monoprice.com is a great cable site). I wound up just getting the cable pack. I used the HDMI cable for my Roku, but I had another use for the component cables anyway.
right now it will be to a regular old tv -- but hopefully sometime in the semi-near future (within a year or so) I would move it to the back bedroom along with a flat screen HD tv (if I can get my act together to get 2 rooms cleaned out and organized - want to make one spare room a tv room so we can have one room to go to with Air in the summer- will still be a spare room too - we only have AC in our bedrooms) So I guess I will go with the 99 deal for now and worry about cables for the next tv when I actually get it. Since I also have a worry that my stove and fridge are going to die before I get things set up for the tv room..... the joy of buying appliances at the same time - they tend to die at the same time

hmmmm now to try to remember what the heck my network security code was -- you would think it would be easy to remember those things wouldn't you??

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I've had one since launch and I love it. The added Amazon Video On Demand is nice, and rumours abound that they'll add other providers like Hulu in the future. On my 6 MB DSL video quality is great on 90% of their offerings, with a small percentage being closer to a YouTube video than an HD video. The free selection is great if you like older movies, classics, cult films, and TV shows. If you're more of a new movie, blockbuster-hit kind of person you'll be pleased with the quality of the Amazon Video On Demand aspect of the Roku.

The benefits of the Roku over the Xbox 360 or PC/Mac streaming are:

* MUCH less power consumption. The Roku draws nowhere near as much electricity as the other choices.
* SILENT operation. The Xbox 360 and computers are noisy due to fans. The Roku has no fans, and makes no sound.
* Cool running. The Roku doesn't need fans because it stays cool for the most part. It's just well-ventilated.
* Smaller footprint. The Roku is about the size of four CD jewel cases stacked.
* Better control. The Roku has a great, simple, responsive remote control that's included.
* One less subscription required than Xbox 360. You'll need a Gold account on your Xbox to use Netflix streaming.
* Excellent connection choices. HDMI, Component, Composite (blah), optical digital audio (TOSLINK). All built in.
* Easier to use. My 75-year-old mother can operate the Roku. The PC or Xbox 360 version? Not so much.
* Doesn't tie up another device.  If I want to play a game on XBox and my spouse wants to watch a movie, we can still do that because the Xbox isn't tied up for the movie.

I highly recommend the Roku. It's only $99 and well worth it. I previously had the Apple TV, and I like the Roku better; The movies are cheaper (or free), the controls are better, the unit uses less power and runs cooler, and I've had far fewer problems with the networking on the Roku. Apple TV costs more, too.

Bear in mind, I'm a Mac / Apple person... But I think Apple TV pales in comparison to the Roku, unless you're the type of person who wants to rip all your videos to the Apple TV hard drive (I tried. Long and boring process, that.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
eneisch said:
Rho -

You should have no problem connecting it to your wireless network from across a room. I believe that Optimum cable is indeed very fast and shoud be more than enough to get the best quality picture out of the roku. All you need to get it going is to know you wireless router's network ID name and the security code (if you have one). Really the same settings you would need to know when attaching a computer to your wireless network. The on-TV menus walks you through the network connection setup step by step. I found it to be very easy.
I have a wireless network, but I don't even bother with it. Wired is always better, and it's no big deal to run cable from my router to the Roku and hide it along the wall. That way I don't worry about losing connection because someone turns on a microwave oven or a remote control car, and I don't have to deal with passwords and network protocols. It just works with no fuss when it's wired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone - I ordered it today so should get it next week sometime - I may be here going HELP if I have any problems with the set up -

edited to add -- if worse comes to worse I could move my modem and wireless over next to the tv -- running a wire would be hard on one side of the living room I have a hallway and woodstove and on the other is the door coming into the house - suppose I could make the hole in the floor bigger and run the wire under the floor like all the other wires are.... but first I will try the wireless out.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got it and set it up -- no problems at all - I did have to reset it because it was stuck on the page with the Logo - after I figured that out it took maybe 3 minutes .... I watched a couple of things already today and I am in LOVE ....

If you have Netflix I would say get it - If Hulu comes up on it it will be perfection ;)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top