Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and talk to you about my Kindle book, WIDOW'S TALE http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00147RWB8

Serena Murphy was losing her mind.

Every night Serena stood on the deck of O'Flanagans Tavern, searching Maine's rugged coast for a sign of her husband's body. Though he was pronounced lost at sea, Alan Murphy still haunted her as only his malevolent spirit could. In the loft above her tavern, Serena hears footsteps pace across her living room floor, yet when she turns, no one is there.

Alan would not let a little thing like death stop him from tormenting her. If she could just find his body, surely this torture would stop.

It had been ten years since Brett Murphy saw his sister in-law, although the separation was by design, to avoid temptation. Now Brett was in Victory Cove, not to declare his feelings for Serena, but to discover the truth about his brother's death. In doing so, he must battle Serena's ghosts, both real and contrived.

For more information, please see www.maureenamiller.com And may I just add, it's great to be amongst my peers!!!

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts

Here's a link. . . . . .. Maureen, head over to intros and welcomes (http://www.kboards.com/index.php/board,3.0.html) and tell us a little about yourself. . . .we love authors. . .especially those who really become part of our little world here.

Ann

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ann,

Thank you so much for the welcome, words of wisdom, and the WIDOW'S TALE link.  I'm ready to recruit you!
I will definitely follow your link and introduce myself. 

Maureen

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Maureen,
Your book looks good, though I don't read a lot of romantic suspense. Still, intriguing concept, and I like the rugged setting--good place for a body to wash up. I got a sample and will likely buy the book.
Linda

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hi Maureen! I don't have a Kindle as yet, but I'll buy your book on the Mobipocket site soon.
I note that it takes place in my home state. Are you from Maine, too?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy!

I'm actually from New Jersey, but every possible free second I had, I would drive up to Maine.  I love it there.  The cover of the book is actually Boothbay Harbor, but the fictional town in the book (Victory Cove) is definitely much more rugged.

Thanks for the kind words!

Maureen

·
Registered
831 Posts
I downloaded the sample of this one for my mother.  She likes romantic suspense.  I only get to sample with my mom's Kindle as I haven't sold enough books to buy my own yet (She left it here for a whole week after coming to town to see her grandbaby and I've been going through samples like crazy.) 

I noticed that the formatting is a little off.  There are no indents for the first line of each paragraph, making it hard to tell where one paragraph stops and another starts.  One author to another... I noticed that Amazon digital does this with manual tabs (ignores them).  Be sure to check a few pages into the sample before clicking that button.

I just love seaside ghosts.  It makes me want to go paint. =) 

Happy Reading (and writing),
Trish

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you soooo much for catching this!  I had looked at the sample, but perhaps a little too hasty! 

Do you think I'll be able to 'select all' and change the formatting?  Or is this going to be a doozy??  :)

I truly appreciate the feedback. 

Perhaps the ghosts in the book  have been playing with the formatting.  ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
mamiller said:
Thank you soooo much for catching this! I had looked at the sample, but perhaps a little too hasty!

Do you think I'll be able to 'select all' and change the formatting? Or is this going to be a doozy?? :)
Are you using Word or Word Perfect? First, do a find and replace. In Word Perfect, you can match codes. Insert "left tab" and leave the replace field blank. That will remove all the tabs.

In Word Perfect, you can just go to the beginning of the document and insert the first line indent. I think in Word, you'll have to CTRL A to select all and then format it.

Whenever I'm doing a major format change, I back up my original file in case I mess it up.'

I truly appreciate the feedback.
No problem. We try to help each other here.

Perhaps the ghosts in the book have been playing with the formatting. ;)
I personally believe in gremlins. They live in my house. ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
One other thing.  Using first line indent can mess up the centering of your Chapter headings.  Make sure you check that and reformat those lines. 

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you do the kindle format in a different file (keep your original just in case -- good thought Gertie -- I wish I did that as often as I preached to do it), you can customize the formatting for Kindle without making weird stuff happen in your original.

Shortcuts for this format in Word -- Yes CTR+A selects all.
Then Go to Format --> Paragraph and look at Indentation
There is a "Special" drop-down box --> Choose "First line." 
It will default to .5 which is good.  Click on okay and go upload it again.
Be sure to hit publish again.

(Oh hey -- it will take a day or two for it to fully publish but eventually it automatically updates it for those who have already downloaded it)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
vwkitten said:
(Oh hey -- it will take a day or two for it to fully publish but eventually it automatically updates it for those who have already downloaded it)
I think that's outdated information, Trish. Once you download a book, you don't get new updates, much to the author's and reader's dismay. It shouldn't work that way, but several authors here have had that problem. I had to call Amazon, get them to delete the old version, and then re-buy the new version.

If you have seen otherwise, please let us know. We'll all be anxious to know it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Karma.  I found the trick in Word just before you mentioned it!    It looks much better now!  I hit Publish and said "God be with you on your way." I also made a backup.  :)

I am so happy you saw that.  I swore it had looked fine before.  But my eyes aren't what they used to be.  Working on the computer too many hours.

I wish I could give you a free copy, but I'm not sure how to do that with Amazon  ??? 
At a minimum, I'm looking up your books!!

Thank you ladies!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
mamiller said:
Karma. I found the trick in Word just before you mentioned it! It looks much better now! I hit Publish and said "God be with you on your way." I also made a backup. :)

I am so happy you saw that. I swore it had looked fine before. But my eyes aren't what they used to be. Working on the computer too many hours.

I wish I could give you a free copy, but I'm not sure how to do that with Amazon ???
At a minimum, I'm looking up your books!!

Thank you ladies!
Glad to help. Before you look at Ariana's Pride, I have a couple of corrections to make, too. Give me a couple of days. The sample should be okay, though.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Maureen,
My Kindle is s'posed to get here this week.  When it does, I'm going to try the sample of Widow's Tale!
I'm almost afraid to think about all the books I want for my Kindle!
Where's the thread about Kindle names?  I need to start thinking about that.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Carol Hanrahan said:
Maureen,
My Kindle is s'posed to get here this week. When it does, I'm going to try the sample of Widow's Tale!
I'm almost afraid to think about all the books I want for my Kindle!
Where's the thread about Kindle names? I need to start thinking about that.
Carol, don't forget about all the accessories that you'll need :p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts