Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through the email I get every month from the Romantic Times Book Reviews which is a hugely popular romance book magazine. It has thousands of subscribers. The monthly email is a run-down of what you can find in the upcoming issues. Anyway, to my surprise I read this:

We are also initiating a new column in the next issue that will provide a listing of some popular self-published books we think you should know about. There are literally hundreds of thousands of books on various sites to choose from and the number is increasing rapidly, so our hope is to spotlight a handful each month for you to peruse.

Wow! This is big. I wonder who they'll feature - trad published authors gone indie or straight indie? Or both?

Just above this paragraph it mentioned a 6 page article on self-publishing coming up in their August issue too. This will be huge exposure for those authors who get in the column, not to mention those who get quoted in the interview. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Wow, that's a step in the right direction. I'll be interested to see who they feature and what criteria they use to determine what books will be featured.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I hate to be cynical, but I'm going to guess the featured authors will be ones who've paid for advertisements.  RT has always had sort of a blurry line between advertising and features (most people never realized that the cover was a paid advertisement, for example).  But if I'm wrong, and they're honestly going to list self-pubbed books of merit, that would be terrific.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Money talks.

(I liked Ellen Fisher's Unwrapped, btw! ;-) )

·
Registered
261 Posts
Kudos for Romantic Times!  They seem to be "getting with the program" ahead of other romance industry leaders.  I just bought their magazine for the first time this week, to check it out. 

It would be unfortunate if only authors who paid were listed, but I can't imagine them listing just anyone.  If they listed crappy authors, that would hurt their credibility.  But even if it were authors paying for advertisers, it's still a step in the right direction. 

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just heard from them last week.  They agreed to review my self-pubed ebook.  They asked me to send it as a PDF.  I did not advertise. 

Their website said that they consider paid advertisers first, then everyone else.  I figured I had nothing to loose, so I inquired. 

They did not tell me when or where it would be featured.  THey have an ebook page on their website, so that is where I assumed it would be, but wouldn't it be great to be in the magazine?!!

Julie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts