Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"If any writer can be said to have inherited the mantle of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, it is Ross Macdonald. Between the late 1940s and his death in 1983, he gave the American crime novel a psychological depth and moral complexity that his pre-decessors had only hinted at. And in the character of Lew Archer, Macdonald redefined the private eye as a roving conscience who walks the treacherous frontier between criminal guilt and human sin."

"Sleeping Beauty" is a 1973 novel by Ross Macdonald, and the Santa Barbara oil spill, which he witnessed first-hand.

Lew Archer, private eye, sits on a plane looking out the window at the Pacific Ocean covered in an oil spill off the coast of Los Angeles. At the airport he buys a paper with news of the oil spill splashed across the front page. Archer drives towards Pacific Point and the center of the oil spill. Once there he meets a young woman on the beach who has rescued an oil-covered grebe with the intentions of cleaning it off. He follows the woman for a short time before stopping at a restaurant along the wharf ...

I cannot think of a better time to read Macdonald. His novel was, I believe, the first mystery to tackle social and environmental concerns.

I also highly recommend with great pleasure his The Underground Man.

Fred Zackel

·
Registered
516 Posts
I thought I had read all of Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer stories (and loved them), but I don't remember this one. Thanks for reminding me about a great series though. As for the oil spill, it's sad how bad news just keep cycling through the decades.
L.J.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts