Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a gamer since 1982. I was wondering how many others of us have joined the Kindle revolution?

I am also hoping we can convince gaming companies who publish fiction for their games publish on Kindle. Especially WotC.

Gamers...sound off, please.
:)

B

·
0 Posts
Well, I used to play a lot of D&D.  But, frankly, the D&D fiction (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc.) is 99% crap.  The only D&D-inspired books I've found that are worth reading/Kindlizing are the works of Raymond Feist.

One man's opinion--YMMV.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I’ve been a computer gamer since about 1981, although with a few exceptions, I confine myself to adventure games, not RPGs. I’ve been through all the Dungeon Siege games, started Neverwinter Nights a few months back, etc.

Most of my entertainment time on the computer for the last several years has been various flight sims.

I think I read a Zork novelization once. I wasn’t impressed.

Mike

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
magehammer said:
I am a gamer since 1982. I was wondering how many others of us have joined the Kindle revolution?

I am also hoping we can convince gaming companies who publish fiction for their games publish on Kindle. Especially WotC.

Gamers...sound off, please.
:)
I'd like to see player handbooks and such on the Kindle. Would sure be nicer than carrying all those books, dice, etc with me... Of course, first DH and I would actually have to find a tabletop game rather than sitting around talking about it...
As far as game fiction, I've really only read the original Dragonlance novels. We might have had a White Wolf novel around but I don't recall reading it. I tried reading a book based on Halo and thought it was horrid. I shouldn't have been surprised, I often find I prefer the "original", so I now rarely read books based on movies, TV, games.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find most of the Eberron novels excellent while the Forgotten Realms are hit and miss, but I have a huge weak spot for Salvatore's Realms work. The Orc King is out on the Kindle, but the rest is MIA.

I would love to read the Dragonlance novels on the Kindle. Excellent works.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Well, I used to play a lot of D&D. But, frankly, the D&D fiction (Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, etc.) is 99% crap. The only D&D-inspired books I've found that are worth reading/Kindlizing are the works of Raymond Feist.

One man's opinion--YMMV.
Didn't Robert Asprin edit a collection of stories set in D&D? Thieves World? It's been 25 years but I remember liking the first collection.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I used to be a gamer back on the early 80s, but I don't remember there being a lot of gaming stories back then.

ScottBooks said:
Didn't Robert Asprin edit a collection of stories set in D&D? Thieves World? It's been 25 years but I remember liking the first collection.
It was a shared world concept, I know. But was that based on D&D? I can't remember for sure, but the memory fog in my head tells me no.

B

·
0 Posts
Thieves' World was its own RPG, different from but a contemporary of (1982) AD&D.

B

·
0 Posts
Another word about Raymond Feist:

While not published under either of the TSR imprints, Feist's Riftwar Saga might as well have been. (Except for being too good for them. ;) )Briefly, the series tells the story of a fantasy world of elves, humans, etc. that is invaded by another race through a dimensional rift. The main world of Midkemia is firmly AD&D, with everything from the thief abilities to how magic works to Drow Elves being lifted directly and faithfully from the AD&D manuals. The invading Tsurani are based on another less-popular TSR RPG, Bushido.

The first volume of the series, Magician (since split into two volumes) is dedicated to, among others, "The Friday Nighters," Feist's group of D&D-playing cronies.

I love this series. Other later Feist series and spinoffs are decent, but the original books really show flair and originality in translating RPG's to the printed page.

B

·
0 Posts
Linda:  Feel free to add links to the above post.  I have to leave for work.  No time.

I

·
0 Posts
While I did play some AD&D back in the day, it was bot my favorite system.  I loved the less popular Chaosium game, RuneQuest.  It was a lot more fun for me,easier to understand and it all made a lot more sense in the way armour, damage and leveling was handled.

Another favorite was Hero Games' Champions.  It was one of the first super hero RPG's and was a lot of fun to.  Half the fun was trying to build a powerful yet ballenc ed character.  Cryptic Studios is now in the process of making a MMOG out of it.  They made the ever popular City of Heroes MMOG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Feist is awesome! I am currently reading Flight of the Nighthawks (DTB because I bought it B.K. (Before Kindle. My wife won't let me buy Kindle versions of books I already own in paper). But I am looking forward to reading the third book in the series on Kindle. He really does capture the feel of roleplaying while still maintaining literary standards. Excellent stuff. I spent hours as a teenager curled up with his books.

Runequest has been re born and has a larger following than ever with the release of Basic Roleplaying System by Chaosium. Speaking of which, when are they going to publish their Cthulhu fiction line on Kindle?

Is there anyone on these boards who is a current gamer and if so, how do you use your Kindle for gaming materials if at all. I have currently converted several RPG rule books using Mobipocket with mixed results.

Just curious.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I

·
0 Posts
I guess if you're a GM, you could have your players email their character sheets to your Kindle.  hehe

B

·
0 Posts
I actually own all three of the AD&D manuals in some kind of format somewhere on my PC.  Probably .pdf.  I suppose I could e-mail them to my kindle and see how they come out if I gave a damn. ;)  I imagine the pictures would mostly suck, particularly in the MM.  I admit I'm slightly curious about how the formatting of the MM would come out.

It also occurs to me that most of the tables in the DMG would be unreadable.  (THAC0, weapon vs. armor type mods, thieving abilities, etc.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts