Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you who have the original Kindle ever had rude remarks made to you about them? I was on the subway yesterday, reading my Kindle when the woman next to me looked at it and said "Oh, you're stuck with that piece of crap." and pulled out her Kindle 2. I ignored her and kept reading. Personally I don't think either Kindle version is better than other other. They both have their pros and cons and are both great devices.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm going to assume that that person would not be nice about anything, and probably only reads the Amazon boards. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
If someone said that to me, I think I'd punch them in the nose!

We have another thread here on "is the upgrade worth it?" and people have given very reasonable and thoughtful answers. As for me, I have my original K1 and the K2. I am using the K2 more but that's not because it is "better" but more because it is the one that tends to be close at hand. My children have their original K1s and they are just fine. I have no plans to spend the money to upgrade them. I upgraded mine mostly because of the FAQ book and the need to be able to revise that, not because I was unhappy with my K1.

I cannot imagine one Kindle owner saying to another Kindle owner, "That is a piece of crap." I thought we were nicer people than that.

L

·
Registered
326 Posts
She must have owned a Sony in her past life. She sound like more of a Sony owner.  :D Not that all Sony owners are bad.  ;D I mean, i know that some people here own Sony's and are really nice.  :) I better quit before i dig a hole so deep i can never get out.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Wow......beyond rude! I wonder what prompted her to make such a remark? Don't take it personally K1 is just as good as K2.......minus a sleek design and TTS :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
NYCKindleFan said:
Have any of you who have the original Kindle ever had rude remarks made to you about them? I was on the subway yesterday, reading my Kindle when the woman next to me looked at it and said "Oh, you're stuck with that piece of crap." and pulled out her Kindle 2. I ignored her and kept reading. Personally I don't think either Kindle version is better than other other. They both have their pros and cons and are both great devices.
I think you took the better road and ignored them. I'm afraid I wouldn't have been as nice. Sometimes my mouth opens faster than my brain can think. For me I use the Kindle to read. I don't connect it to my computer. I do accessorize (way too much). I wanted a device to be able to download a book when I wanted it and that's it. For that, I could have either the original or the K2. If Amazon would have had the original kindle when I ordered it, I would have a K1 right now.

You have a great device, don't let anyone tell you differently!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would have told the person to f off. :eek:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
That kind of attitude gives New Yorkers a bad name - and they wonder why  ::)

I love my K1, never saw a K2, but my K1 is NOT a piece of crap, it is an electronic reader!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Actually I'm just thrilled to see Kindles out there be it 1 or 2 - the more there are the better it is --

I think she would bet along with me BIL - they both seem to be the type who are happiest when they or people around them are miserable - when I run into them I just think to myself - "I'm so glad I'm not married to THEM!"

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is another nurse at my hospital that had a K1 and I happened to bring mine to work that day to show it to some other insterested co-workers who are considering... so we sat down and talked about the joys of Kindle-hood for 20 minutes.  It didn't matter to either of us which generation it was.  There are so many people now using them that they are getting more exposure than ever.  At my work I've told nurses that if they want the Kindle experience but can't afford the new ones, to snag a good used K1 on ebay or kindleboards.  A Kindle is a Kindle!

It irritates me when people get all snooty about the "latest and greatest" gen stuff.  I have the original iphone, am still quite happy with it, but I've had people say "oh, you have the OLD one"... grrr.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can't imagine being insulting to someone with a Kindle just because they had an older model (and not just because I own a K1 myself). Just seeing someone carrying a Kindle is a great sign for all Kindle fans. The more Kindles we can get out there the more support our beloved devices will receive from Amazon, third party manufacturers, and book publishers.

Also I'd be pretty excited just to see anyone with a Kindle in Alabama. Including mine I've only ever seen two kindles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some people just can't help themselves - they must have the latest and greatest.  And then if you do not notice they have it - somehow or another they have to make sure you do.  That was very rude.  

Shelly

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
RudeLady obviously hadn't gotten any the night before  ;D

And she is one of those people who thinks she is better than others for the things she owns.  Nothing you could have said would have made a difference to a rude person like that.  She doesn't deserve a Kindle.

·
Registered
599 Posts
NYCKindleFan said:
I was on the subway yesterday, reading my Kindle when the woman next to me looked at it and said "Oh, you're stuck with that piece of crap."
Too bad she wasn't with her husband, you could have turned to the husband and said "ditto."

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
NYCKindleFan said:
I was on the subway yesterday, reading my Kindle when the woman next to me looked at it and said "Oh, you're stuck with that piece of crap." and pulled out her Kindle 2.
Was she featured on the show "The Real Housewives of NY"?

Steve

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
That goes beyond rude. I would be happy with a Klassic or a K 2. I think each have their pros and cons. I think it is a wonderful device that provides enjoyment on a daily basis. I bet that woman is very unhappy in general and the Kindle has absolutely nothing to do with it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts