Kindle Forum banner

How Many: Have had a book spoiled or nearly spoiled by a passerby??

• YES: Had Book SPOILED

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • NO: Have Not

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • PESTERED but NOT Spoiled

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • NEVER Been Bothered

Votes: 15 24.2%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happens to me on the beach a lot.

1. They either spoil it...or

2. Pestered: Passers-by see the title; and feel that it is their civic duty to stop and interrupt my "me time" to have a "book" discussion.

This is why I always cover my books.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Oops!!  I'm probably one of the people that would stop and interrupt you and have a conversation.  I apologize and will try to be more respectful in the future. 
deb

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yes. When I was in jr. high or high school, I was still a fan of Harry Potter. There had been a rumored death in this addition to the series. I lived overseas at the time...so I had to wait a little longer to recieve my copy. (it was a small town in northern japan, I could have gotten a copy in Tokyo the day it released). So I log on the Mugglenet.com, a harry potter fan site....AND there is huge letters they announce a huge spoiler.

I have also spoiled a book for my friend...at least the first one fifth. She had a bookmark toward the last fifty pages of the book and I mentioned a small tidbit from the first 30 pages...not realizing that bookmark wasn't marking her spot in the book. She had just recieved the book from the owner who had just finished it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I've been pestered a lot in airports, on planes, doctor's offices...oh what are you reading? I read that and ... close to being spoiled but I always say don't tell me anything, I want to read it and find out.

Linda

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes it seems whenever I mention a book I'm reading people have to always tell me what happens.  Even when I say please don't ruin it for me...its like they just can't stop themselves.  LOL!  ;D

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drenee:  I love a good book discussion; don't get me wrong...but only when I've read the book!!  If I'm on chapter 2 and you're telling me      what happens in chapter 8...well...

I actually had a person stop and discuss a book and past the point of which I was on...so the anticipation was killed.  I spoke up and
said, "Don't tell me what happens, I didn't get to the end yet!!"

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
sjc...i totally agree.  I love a good discussion as well.  I'm not the kind that will ruin a book, but I would be guilty of ruining your the me time.  :-[  I love to strike up conversations with strangers. 
deb

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
Yes. When I was in jr. high or high school, I was still a fan of Harry Potter. There had been a rumored death in this addition to the series. I lived overseas at the time...so I had to wait a little longer to recieve my copy. (it was a small town in northern japan, I could have gotten a copy in Tokyo the day it released). So I log on the Mugglenet.com, a harry potter fan site....AND there is huge letters they announce a huge spoiler.
When book six came out, one person skipped to the end, found out what happened and went up and down the line of people waiting to get the book, telling everyone the end of the book. Some people are just sick.

The week before a Potter book comes out, I don't watch TV, read newspapers go on the Internet or listen to the radio and I don't go back to the media until I've read it. Since there are no more books (sigh), I don't have to do that anymore.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
A bunch of teenager decided to announce a bunch of Harry Potter spoilers at the release partys...they put their 'prank' on YouTube. I was disgusted by such behavior. They drove by the line outside a books story with a loudspeaker announcing spoilers that ended up being true.

I watched this video when it first debuted...Some of the comment people would write about harrypotter fan were very rude.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I voted pestering.  I have a "friend" at work who hasn't even read the Twilight series but she saw the movie and then found out from here sister what happened and now she is driving me nuts with the .... have you gotten to this part yet?

I am half way through book three.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I always try not to ruin plot points for others.  And although I do get a lot of people asking me what I'm reading, I can't think of a time when someone let a huge spoiler slip. 

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also cover my books and if asked what i'm reading i tell them i can't remember.  That shuts them up.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Back in our younger days, DH and I would go to the bar with a good book. We were often questioned about it, and our answer was "Hey we can smoke and and the only time we have to get up is for the bathroom". Needless to say, we were always being interrupted. It worked out well once. A young man saw what I was reading, apoligized for interupting me, but this was one of his fav books and recommended others to me. He and his wife are now good friends with DH and I and we're always swapping books.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've used book covers for years, now with the Kindle I don't have that problem.  If anyone asked me what I was reading I'd tell them a computer programming book.  That seemed to be the kiss of death for further conversation about my book. ;D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
MY mother and sister would read the ending first on murder mysteries than read the book.  It use to drive me nuts. 

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well here's a different kind of pestering, well not pestering, but for lack of a better word, pestering. My husband is not a reader. So when we go see movies that will / could have sequels he wants to know what is going to happen.

LSbookend

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well here's a different kind of pestering, well not pestering, but for lack of a better word, pestering. My husband is not a reader. So when we go see movies that will / could have sequels he wants to know what is going to happen.
lol...I believe the word is shrewd.

G

·
I don't talk to many people that read in RL so it's not been a problem.

In the past I have gone to movies where some ass had seen it and was spoiling it as it went along.  I'd politely say, "Shut up I paid to see the movie not hear you narrate it.  If you continue, neither of us will see the rest of it."

I also used to have a problem with people sitting right in front of me blocking my view when there are plenty of other seats.  I learned to pour some of my drink on the seats in front of me to keep that from happening.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Vampyre said:
I don't talk to many people that read in RL so it's not been a problem.

In the past I have gone to movies where some ass had seen it and was spoiling it as it went along. I'd politely say, "Shut up I paid to see the movie not hear you narrate it. If you continue, neither of us will see the rest of it."

I also used to have a problem with people sitting right in front of me blocking my view when there are plenty of other seats. I learned to pour some of my drink on the seats in front of me to keep that from happening.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

What the ....??!!??!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

A movie lasts ~90 minutes on average. A wet, sticky mess on a seat lasts, hmmm, for ...? Wet dries - eventually. Sticky filth stays sticky and filthy forever.

So, to preserve your view for a mere 90 minutes you choose to abuse/damage the property of the theatre owner by pouring your drink on the seats in front of you whenever you go to the cinema? And what about the clothing &/or morale damage to the poor unsuspecting folks that just happen to sit on those same seats that were in front of you, that you poured your drink on, when the movie starts again in ~90 minutes?!?!

I am truly shocked. :eek: And appalled. :mad: :mad: Bad Vampy!!! Very bad!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts