Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd let my membership slide this year bc I honestly hadn't thought I'd go to another conf for several years. Now, with the announcement that they'll be having a self-pub track and some other things going on on my end, I'm seriously considering.

Anyone else?

Anyone know more about this Self-Pub section?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm thinking about going. I went seven years in a row and then skipped the past three, so it's time to get back.
:)

I haven't heard any details about the self-pub track, but I'm glad they're doing it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't go every year either... the whole "it's more expensive this year bc... " but then it gets more expensive the next year too LOL

I'm definitely in if there's a self-pub segment tho!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Yes, there is a self-pub track this year, but no, I'm not going. (My kids will be 3 1/2 and 19 months at the time of the conference, so there's no way I'd be able to leave them home alone with Mr. Brice for the week. I'd never hear the end of it!)

Hopefully next year will be easier for me to get away. Or maybe the year after. I'm definitely bringing them WITH me the year it's back in Orlando!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I really wish I could go! RWA 2006 in Atlanta was my first ever writers conference, so it would be awesome to go back, particularly since the Marriott Marquis (host hotel) is also worked for several weeks in 1996 when I did protocol for the Olympics. (So it's always fun to go back and reminesce.)

But unfortunately there's just no way I could leave the kids. The baby has been running for a couple of months now (he's 15 months), so I could only imagine how much of a handful he'll be by the summer. I went to RWA in NYC when my daughter was 19 months old, and I know Mr. Brice said it was hard to keep up with her alone at home -- and that was when there was only her! He'd kill me if I left him alone with both of them! LOL

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm going! This is my first time too. First year I can afford it. Someone come hold my hand...or at least make sure I don't end up eating dinner alone, lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
Seriously considering going to this this year. I have a friend who lives in Atlanta who's been begging me to come visit her. This would be a great way to kill two birds with one stone... :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Not going. I let my membership expire in January, then felt a tug of regret and renewed last week. But I still have too many mixed feelings about the organization to spend the money on the trip this year. My first RWA was in 2007 and I had a life-changingly wonderful time. I met Stephanie Bond on the Dallas public transit (an awesome person, btw), Kate Perry on the plane from SF (also awesome) and it went on and on and on. I wasn't even devoted to romance as a genre until I went to RWA and was blown away by the brains and beauty of the women there. I gushed all over Susan Elizabeth Phillips, who greeted me as if she knew me, and drank in the bar with an Australian who later won the Golden Heart contest, an event (with the Rita) which had the production value of the Oscars. Totally fun. I didn't sleep for a week.

I went the next couple of years (Amanda, I met you in DC in '09 when you were expecting your first!) and then was disappointed at the slow rate of change in New York in 2011. I think it's getting better, but I'm not sure. So much of the financial lifeblood for RWA comes from publishing houses and agents.

SO, instead of RWA this year, I'm going to my first RT Booklover's Convention in Kansas City. They are so pro-indie and pro-digital-first, I wanted to check it out. I'm even signing (thanks to All Romance) which terrifies me. Who the heck will want to see ME? LOL.

But I'm jealous of those going to RWA. It is an awesome scene.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Here are the future sites/dates, for anyone curious:

2013 July 17–20 Atlanta Marriott Marquis 
2014 July 23–26 San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter & Marriott Riverwalk
2015 July 22–25 New York Marriott Marquis
2016 July 13–16 San Diego Marriott Hotel and Marina
2017 July 26–29 Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin

I have a feeling I won't be making RWA until 2015, and then again in 2017.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts