Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Even Damon isn’t quite tall enough. I think Reacher is 6' 5". And blond (but that could be fixed).

I'm thinking more like Ron Ely back in his Tarzan days. I can't think of any contemporary actors to fit the role at the moment.

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like Tom Cruise also, but Geez.  I don't think of Reacher when I think of him....

I don't know who would fit..... I think Jason Stratham is pretty tough though and I think taller.  (hope I spelled his name right)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I was going to blog about this soon as I'm not impressed. Although Lee wouldn't care, he knows the stats on books to movies.

My pick for who could play Reacher:
Tahmoh Penikett (Dollhouse, Battlestar Galactica)

Tahmoh is quite tall, has a big presence, good actor, and is actually capable of beating the crap out of several people.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can only assume that the people who chose Cruise - think that those who go to see the film will not be the ones who read the books. I wouldn't go if they put Cruise in as Reacher. It's nonsense. He's far too short.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I said to my wife last night: Casting Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher is like casting Warwick Davis to play Rubeus Hagrid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My first thought on hearing the news a few months ago was that it was ridiculous.

Then I saw Lee Child's comment about how Reacher's size was a metaphor for how unstoppable he is and that Cruise does unstoppable on screen in a different way.  And he's right about that, Cruise has built up a steady flow of characters that just get things done.
If he manages to be the intimidating MP when he needs to get down to it, then his height won't matter so much.

I'm still liable to mutter every so often anyway.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
ilvyorkies said:
I don't know who would fit..... I think Jason Stratham is pretty tough though and I think taller. (hope I spelled his name right)
I'd eliminate Stratham on the height. He's less than six feet tall. Otherwise, he'd be a good choice, I think.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I would just like to blaspheme for a second and say that I originally geeked out with hatred over Tom Cruise as Lestat de Lioncourt in Interview with the Vampire (given that he's neither blond nor over 6'). But, when I went to the movie opening night with all the serious fans, I didn't hate him in the role.... there, I said it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Ewww.  No.  Just...no.  I'm so over Tom Cruise.  Not seeing him as Reacher at all.  Reacher needs intensity.  Cruise has it, but it's the wrong kind of intensity - not Reacher-like at all.  At least not IMO. 

·
Registered
209 Posts
Liam Neeson is more my idea of Reacher, but Reacher's brains are more important than the bulk.

Cruise was great in Collateral... the man can deliver a movie.  I think he can do it.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Well let's see.  Reacher graduated West Point in my class, according to his bio.  He was in Lebanon with the Army when my unit, 10th Special Forces was in Lebanon when the Marine Barracks was bombed.  I've got black belts in Taekwondo and Hapkido, was a Green Beret, and you know what?  I'm a little too old to be running around beating people up. Good old Jack might be getting a little long in the tooth like this old dog.
You know who I liked in Battle Los Angeles?  Allan Eckhert
I think he might make a good Reacher.
But as Gore Vidal said-- you walk to the Nevada-California desert, throw the book across.  They throw a check back at you and you go home and cash it.  My friend Elizabeth George was very upset about who they cast as Havers in the BBC adaptation of her books, but that was a case of tossing the books across the Atlantis and the check floating back.  She cashed it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts