Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Tony Rabig said:
David Morse could probably do a nice job as Reacher too.
Indeed. He would probably be my first choice, actually, but I finally decided he's a little too old.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bob's right. Lee Child won't really care in the long run. The director of the film (s) will want a blockbuster star. If they've decided it's Cruise - then it's Cruise. But of all the very large number of books I've read that have been turned into films, never have I felt so strongly that Cruise isn't right for the lead. Reacher is a phenomenon - one of the most famous fictional heroes - up there with James Bond - Child's books sell in the millions - so it is very aggravating that the film people can't at least try to stay slightly true to the hero.
Well, I would have watched the movies with someone other than Cruise. Now I won't. I'm sure they'll miss my ticket money :)
Have they asked you, Bob? I'd come and see you!!!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Aaron Eckhart or Daniel Craig would be good.  David Morse I never would've thought of, but yep, he'd be good.

Mark Valley would be good, and even has the military background to draw from - doesn't have the height, though - but he's closer than Cruise. 

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I had to blog about this one today.

I do agree with Bob, we are in the minority here - 50 million books sold is only an opening weekend crowd - and Lee would just be sitting back hoping the film sells more books.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's like when Cruise was picked to play the Vampire Lestat in Interview with a Vampire. If anything, he and Brad Pitt should have reversed roles. Lestat, in Anne Rice's books, is blond, tall and blue-eyed.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Meemo said:
Aaron Eckhart or Daniel Craig would be good. David Morse I never would've thought of, but yep, he'd be good.

Mark Valley would be good, and even has the military background to draw from - doesn't have the height, though - but he's closer than Cruise.
Yeah, if you have to go with a short guy, Daniel Craig or Mark Valley would be OK probably.

I won't even see the movie if Tom Cruise is in it.

Mike

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
But a lot of those who watched the movie (Interview with a Vampire) had never read the book.
Those that I know who did thought he was a bad choice....expectations.
But I would imagine that Reacher fans will expect him to look as Lee has described him.
And these books have sold millions and there are a lot of Reacher books.

Just sayin......

·
Registered
9 Posts
One reason Lee Child is likely to be happy with the Tom Sruise casting is that it means the film will almost certainly get the funding and go into production.

Most of the other actors, while good, some even decent draws, none of them could guarantee funding like Cruise does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Makes as much sense as Anne Rice picking him to play the Vampire LeStat. I was so disappointed with that one, too.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Tahmoh Penikett would be fantastic, loved him in Dollhouse.
Daniel Craig , Mark Valley & Hugh Jackman would all suffice

Anyone really... just NOT Tom Cruise.  Eeeeew

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, if Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch can get cast as Bob Lee Swagger, then Tom Cruise as Reacher isn't really a problem. You guys should count your blessings, it could have been some totally milquetoast bland actor like that Tatum Channing guy or horror of horrors, Justin Beiber in his break out action role :p

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cruise playing Reacher is just as unbelieveable as all of the Reacher novel plots. So maybe it works  ;D

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
jason10mm said:
Well, if Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch can get cast as Bob Lee Swagger, then Tom Cruise as Reacher isn't really a problem. You guys should count your blessings, it could have been some totally milquetoast bland actor like that Tatum Channing guy or horror of horrors, Justin Beiber in his break out action role :p
Actually I thought Mark Wahlberg did a pretty decent job as Bob Lee Swagger. The movie was only average though, so casting wasn't the problem.

Cruise battled to do justice to Lestat, I'm dreading the same for Reacher.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Cruise always has that smirk - just behind any other expression he is wearing.
That is good for his normal characters.
But Reacher is a man of honor and principle.  He would never smirk at someone.
I would not mind Mark Wahlberg in the role, but don't think he is the optimal choice.
I would not mind seeing someone like Fred Dryer of the TV show Hunter play him.

839 Posts
I love Jack Reacher. I'd love to see him paired up with Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger and/or John Sandford's Virgil Flowers. But I doubt I'll fork out for a movie version with Tom. I never had an exact mental image of Jack, but I do know that Tom isn't even close.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts