Kindle Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Carolyn J. Rose said:
I love Jack Reacher. I'd love to see him paired up with Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger and/or John Sandford's Virgil Flowers. But I doubt I'll fork out for a movie version with Tom. I never had an exact mental image of Jack, but I do know that Tom isn't even close.
I thought the same thing when he played Anne Rice's Lestrad, from Interview with a Vampire. He was good. He does a lot of action roles, but he is more versatile as an actor than most give him credit for.

I'd be willing to give it a chance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rob is right, Tom Cruise can get the movie made. That's the #1 consideration.

#2 consideration is that he can CARRY a film. There's a vast difference between someone who looks a part and someone who can carry a film. Lots of great actors, as wonderful as they are in supporting roles, can't carry a film. It's a whole different thing from just acting. With Tom Cruise in a lead, you have a movie. 

#3 is that Cruise will fight for a movie.  Not only as the star - he's a seasoned and successful producer.

Would he have been my first choice or my third?  No.  But those three things trump anything than anyone else mentioned can bring to the table.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
geoffthomas said:
I would not mind seeing someone like Fred Dryer of the TV show Hunter play him.
Yes! He's the perfect 'type' for the role. Or a Clint Eastwood type. Now the question remains, is there anybody like their type who is young enough for the role but not *too* young or pretty? Reacher is the quintessential honorable, weary, craggy-faced (though I don't recall if that's even in the description of him anywhere, I just see him that way), anti-hero kind of guy. While I like Cruise well enough, I just can't picture him as Reacher.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It does seem ridiculous to cast a guy who's more than a foot shorter to play that role. I think Cruise is a good actor, but I also think this was a perfect opportunity to cast an unknown who really fit the bill and let him grow into the part.

Frankly, I'm tired of seeing the same faces again and again.

Julia

·
Registered
836 Posts
Oh no! Tom Cruise isn't Reacher! (And he wasn't Lestat either. He did his best in that role and was much better than I expected, but still miscast something awful. Sigh.)
I love Reacher and the books. Cruise has gotten too crazy and he's tiny. Man, I hope they go with someone else.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
There was precisely the same hoo-hah as this when Cruise was cast to play LeStat. There were even reports that Anne Rice was beside herself with rage. And the truth turned out to be, he wasn't half-bad in the role and surprised a lot of people. We have a tendency to dismiss certain actors simply because they're 'pretty boys.' We do the same with Brad Pitt all the time, and he's turned around -- Kalifornia, Fight Club -- and shown us a side of himself that we never suspected.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As someone pointed out earlier, Cruise always has that smirk...it's so annoying. The Mission:Impossible series...fine.

I don't see him as an ex-military man (He was stationed at a desk in "A Few Good Men", so that doesn't count. Unfortunately, financing is key, but I'd rather see Will Smith in the role, than Tom Cruise...Denzel, even.

Jackman has enough snarl to make things work, and if I remember correctly, he's 6'2, a versatile actor, and looks ex-military with a 5 o'clock shadow.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts