Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per @pyr_Books @tordotcom & @torbooks on Twitter, Author David Eddings has died.

So sad.  I loved his books

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That is sad news indeed.  I loved his books.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Ah, that's a shame.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Tis indeed a very sad say.

He ranked among my top three authors.
He will be missed.

·
Registered
21,588 Posts
This is indeed sad news.

Wikipedia lists these items, some of which was widely known:

1. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has since acknowledged that she contributed to them all. She was a credited co-author starting in the mid-1990s.
I had not read very much of their work before I read his acknowledgement of her collaboration. So I enjoyed most of my reading of this body of work knowing this. Always thought of Polgara as her alter-ego.

2. On February 28, 2007, David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings (born Judith Leigh Schall), died following a series of strokes. She was 69.
I did not know that Leigh had died in 2007 so today brings a double sorrow for me.

3. On January 26, 2007 it was reported that Eddings accidentally burned about a quarter of his office, next door to his house, along with his Excalibur sports car, and the original manuscripts for most of his novels. He was flushing the fuel tank of the car with water when he lit a piece of paper and threw it into the puddle to test if it was still flammable.
I include this item just as an anecdote. How sad.

They will be missed.

Just sayin....

·
Registered
918 Posts
Oh no, I love his books. I didn't even know his wife was gone also.  :'(

·
Registered
581 Posts
liannallama said:
oh, that is sad news. I remember that the Belgariad was one of my first selection of free books I got when I joined SFBC in the 80's. I really enjoyed his books and characters.
I also got the Belgariad from SFBC back then! I still have them, and dug them out a few years ago and reread them, and the Mallorean. What amazing stories they are.

I'm so sorry to hear about this.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
RIP

·
Registered
134 Posts
The title says it all........... read ALL their books.....both he & his wife will be missed.

Brian

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
An interesting tidbit I thought I'd put here, since this thread is about Mr. Eddings.

Random House (who owns Ballantine Books) wrote back to me today. They do not own the ebook rights to Mr. Eddings works, so they say that the attribution to them being the publisher in the Kindle Store is wrong.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
that is sad as I was also waiting for the complete series to come out. some of my DTB are literally in two pieces as binding is old. I wanted to replace with ebooks. Eddings and Tolkien are on my reread regularly list. My son just finished the series for the second time.
Sylvia

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
For the Eddings fans here, where do you rate Domes of Fire amongst his body of work. I think it's the only book of his I've read, and I found it to be OK but nothing special. Just wondered if I was missing something (in case this is not one of his best), or if he's just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Greg Banks said:
Oh no! The strangest thing is I just emailed Ballantine Books yesterday to ask them why only the second part of the Belgariad Omnibus was available on the Kindle. I even started to put a request here for others to do the same, but I changed my mind. This really makes me sad.
Via Twitter, they are looking into whats going on with the Kindle versions. Its not just Kindle, although widely pirated, most of the Rivan stuff is not available in any ebook format.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.