Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Krista D. Ball said:
Kobo is backed by a number of companies, not just Borders.
Such as? Just curious. Not that it was a strong platform to begin with, but the loss of Borders can't be good for it. I certainly associated one with the other.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It will hurt Kobo because that's 199 stores that will no longer be selling the device. Kobo has, I believe, a stronger presence outside the U.S. though.

I wonder what the mark down will be on Kobo devices at Borders? I hear the new Kobo touchscreen model is slick.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's certainly a blow for Kobo, since their presence in Borders locations was pretty much their primary selling point here in the US. I know they're partnered with Chapters in Canada, though, and I imagine they're busy lining up new sales partners as we speak. I hear their new touchscreen e-ink device is pretty swank -- here's hoping they tough it out.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
The first place I actually saw one of my books on the shelves was at a Borders, so it is sad.  However, this has been coming for some time now.  It is like seeing someone taken off life support...sad, but a relief in some aspects.

I think Kobo will be OK on its own.  I know a few people who have the Kobo readers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
WFMeyer said:
Now they're gone. I just hope it doesn't happen to B&N.
Me, too. While I download most of my book purchases onto my Kindle, my kids & I spend a lot of time in bookstores (we have B&N and BAM nearby). We have a lovely time browsing the shelves together, discussing books. I love how they become excited over a great-sounding book, so I'd hate to lose that. Plus, my kids are old-fashioned--they still want "real" books in their hands. Luckily, they are both avid readers :)

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I'm always sad to see individual bookstores close down, let alone a whole chain of them. I only hope B&N can weather the storms because they're my favorite bookstore now.

·
Registered
993 Posts
DonnaBurgess said:
Me, too. While I download most of my book purchases onto my Kindle, my kids & I spend a lot of time in bookstores (we have B&N and BAM nearby). We have a lovely time browsing the shelves together, discussing books. I love how they become excited over a great-sounding book, so I'd hate to lose that. Plus, my kids are old-fashioned--they still want "real" books in their hands. Luckily, they are both avid readers :)
Yes, we still enjoy visits to bookstores too. The children's sections in remaining bookstores are still strong.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
from the Kobo Books page:

Kobo is a global eBook retailer backed by Indigo Books & Music*, Borders, REDgroup Retail, Cheung Kong Holdings, and other leaders in technology and retail.
While the loss of their American footing will hurt them, they are still popular outside of the US. Once they find a new partnership within the US, they'll pick up again.

*aka Chapters in Canada

1 - 15 of 15 Posts