Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Kindle on Amazon using my credit card, as I like to perform the majority of online purchases with a credit card for a feeling of more online security.  However, I don't like charging to my credit card and would prefer a direct debit because I find I spend more realistically in that manner, i.e. don't overspend, know what I've spent, etc.  Do you think it's just as safe to use a debit card for my 1-Click transactions?  Thanks.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I do. Never had a problem...except buying too many because it's too easy to buy books.

You can only use it to buy books and you get an email when one has been purchased. If for some reason someone gets ahold of your Kindle and starts a book buying frenzy, you'll know. You'd also have 7 days to return them if somehow that actually did happen. You can also deregister your Kindle if it's lost or stolen.

I wouldn't worry about it. But that's me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I do, and I haven't had any problems.  If it is a visa or MC debit card, they will still stand behind their fraud protection.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I haven't had a problem either. You could always buy a gift certificate for amazon and apply it to your account so that you would have a credit, sort of a book allowance. You can use cash at a Coinstar machine to get gift certificates, or use your CC to buy it online.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great!  LuvMyBrats -- You brought up some points I completely forgot about the purchase confirmations by e-mail and Visa fraud protection.  Also, I do check my balance online daily, so would see anything unusual right away, now that I think of it.  I have a tendency to "forget" what I charge and prefer debit, so I'm glad others do this, too.  Thanks!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
libro said:
Great! LuvMyBrats -- You brought up some points I completely forgot about the purchase confirmations by e-mail and Visa fraud protection. Also, I do check my balance online daily, so would see anything unusual right away, now that I think of it. I have a tendency to "forget" what I charge and prefer debit, so I'm glad others do this, too. Thanks!
If you're worried about overspending, you could buy a gift card and apply it to your account. You can check the balance at Amazon and add to it with another card when needed. The CC is still there and will be used if you run out of money from the gift card.

I do this, just in case my mom goes crazy buying books (she never has though) and so I don't see lots of $.99 and $1.99 charges in my bank account. Some people buy a card for a certain amount for budgeting and when they've spent it, they don't buy any more books until the next month and can buy another gift card.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just changed over my 1-Click settings.  It occurred to me that my kids have their iTouch and iPods attached to their debits, so there is really no difference.....although I do have to monitor how much they download and am always reminded the music-loving teens!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I strongly suggest getting a giftcard. It keeps you on a budget each month. You are in your honeymoon phase of your kindle right now and will be apt to buy more books then you would normally buy.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chobitz said:
I strongly suggest getting a giftcard. It keeps you on a budget each month. You are in your honeymoon phase of your kindle right now and will be apt to buy more books then you would normally buy.
I love your Arab, Chobitz! She looks exactlyl like my first horse....she lived to be 33 years old and I still miss her.

I might consider the Amazon gift card. I do have really good self-control with spending, though....I might eat my words now that I have 1-Click! Good to keep the gift card in mind :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
libro said:
I love your Arab, Chobitz! She looks exactlyl like my first horse....she lived to be 33 years old and I still miss her.

I might consider the Amazon gift card. I do have really good self-control with spending, though....I might eat my words now that I have 1-Click! Good to keep the gift card in mind :)
Wish I could say he was mine LOL I found him on a stable page but he looks alot like a jumper I use to compete on. I am partial to dapple grey arabians :D. Is that your horse? I've never seen a strawberry roan (or is he a strawberry flea bitten?) in person.

Yep a GC can be a lifesaver.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have to say, I completely misinterpreted the title of this thread.  Sadly, I do not worry about my credit card info being hijacked.  Mostly the person I need protection from on one-click is myself.
And as my bank has pointed out (....numerous times....), buying stuff I have forgotten about is not actually fraud so much as hideous book keeping.

(Stop trying to give me the number for shopaholics anonymous!  I do not have time to go to meetings and still shop online!  And there's no wifi there!)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Libro:
I use Amazon gift cards. I throw all my change in a jar and dump it out in coinstar (free if get giftcard) and select the Amazon gift card option. Last week I got $52.54. In the meantime; I use my Amazon Visa for all my daily stuff to accumulate points and then turn those over into aditional Amazon vouchers. Between that and coinstar...I'm all set.
Amazon: uses giftcard balances 1st; then goes onto the backup card on file when using one click.

I would be more worried that you do online banking, before I'd worry about Amazon. I do not put my SS# on any online forms, nor do I use any credit card other than one that I froze at a set 1000 limit; for online use. I have a separate checking/debit just for anything online; of which I keep $$ the bare minimum, Netflix, Ebay, Amazon...etc. The most that can get stolen is $1000 and even that is fraud protected.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I use a debit card for my 1-click purchases--but I opened a checking account specifically for shopping online and never have more than $300-400 in it at any one time. If someone manages to get my card number, I don't lose much...but in all the years Ive been buying online, I've never have a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts