Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kindle just arrived, he is plugged in and charging. I am signing off for the night so I can 'get aquainted' (sp) ....all the info is in my signature line LOL let you know later how he made it through the night ;D

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yey Sailor!!!!  I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear you gushing over how much you love it!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
sailor said:
Kindle just arrived, he is plugged in and charging. I am signing off for the night so I can 'get aquainted' (sp) ....all the info is in my signature line LOL let you know later how he made it through the night ;D
:) I just noticed your signature line!! TOO FREAKING CUTE!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Congrats sailor on your new bundle of joy!!! :D And trust me when I say it will be just like having a new baby in the house.....don't expect to get much sleep for awhile...lol. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So…what's the big deal about a Kindle? JUST KIDDING!!!

Kinny arrived, opened the book-like box he was in and checked everything out…seemed nothing was broken or out of order…that was good news. Plugged it in and while it was charging, you can fully use it…NO Down Time to waste getting started!!!
At first, it felt weird in my hands. Also, when I was reading the info, my eyes kept wandering to the sides of the Kindle…kind of distracting. It was also weird, and different to read on the screen, I had never seen a screen like this before. Something that happens to the screen when you press the next or back page button is: the light background and the black background reverse color…kind of neat to watch the process (in a strange sort of way, LOL). Okay, that was for reading the 'personal' introduction to me from the creator of Kindle and reading the user's guide. Didn't tell me anything that I didn't learn from this board…and then some, so keep reading this board to find out all the tricks…this board tells you MORE than the guides that come with Kindle!

Now, on to usage. Pretty straight forward…nothing was complicated so even a 'tech challenged' person should be able to use Kindle without much difficulty. The ONLY trouble I was having while reading was pressing the next page and back page buttons…a lot. Very annoying, so proper hand placement is a must to learn. Play around and hold it in and out of the cover to find which feels best for you. I surprised myself, I LOVE it without the cover on while reading…it fit my hand better, could reach the buttons easier, and didn't accidently press the next page button as often (that part did get less and less as I continued to read). Like Tom/Army said 'he likes his Kindle "nekkid"…I agree. It mainly is a placement of your hands…I noticed picking up Kinny would change pages also, so I find it best to remember to pick it up top or bottom when it's not in screen saver mode. If you place your thumbs by the 'amazon kindle' logo on the front under the screen, this helps from accidental page turning…for me.

Now for getting a book from my computer to Kindle. NO Instructions for that…had to 'wing it'. Plugged USB cable into laptop, then into Kindle and it told me to not remove from Kindle if the dots were moving by the scroll wheel…which they were. I thought for a moment on how to 'unhook' this when the time came…just unplug USB from computer first, than when Kindle stops the dots by the wheel moving…unplug from Kindle. So, onto the download…or uploading of my first book. I was going to read The Treasure of La Malinche by Jeffry S Hepple. After 3 tries and failing to get it on kindle, my last attempt finally worked; I just pulled and dragged the document from the folder it was in to the list on the kindle drive that was made when I plugged in the USB…Instant upload to Kindle. Yeah!!!

I also checked out the kindle store from kindle…pretty nice feature…but be aware!!! The free paragraph of the first chapter from any book you would like to try option is right next to the BUY option!!! The buy option can be easily pressed by mistake and you would end up buying a book instead of 'free trial'…be extra careful that the scroll wheel is placed exactly on where you want it before pressing it. I still would buy my purchases through our website here so KINDLEBOARDS can make a profit, seems that for all the help I got on how to use kindle, it is the least I can do…so the one click to buy a book won't be used for me…I will pick my books through these boards, than when I turn on kindle, I can get have the books sent to me…not much of an issue for me there.

Back to reading on Kindle. Now Kinny was fully charged and ready to move freely about his new home. Hubby really enjoys Kindle…he got the remote for the tv and watched all his military, soccer, and car programs without me complaining once…I saw the joy on his face while I was buried in kindle and he was free to watch what he wanted all night…Joy in the House once again! I think he just might keep me supplied in books just to keep my nose into Kindle's pages…HA. Started The Treasure of La Malinche…as I read and got involved into the story, the kindle just sort of disappeared and faded away as the pages came alive. I did have a reading light that hooks on your ear like a Bluetooth…hubby found it at KMART for 5 dollars, so I had a booklight now. In the meantime I ordered one of the 'talked about' ones that I can't remember its name from amazon…it's still on its way here so using this one…which I see that this one on the ear can be an advantage because I prefer kindle without the cover. Where will I clip on the new one when I use kindle without the cover? Maybe a different cover would make usage better, I did not like the feel of the case that comes with kindle. I digressed yet again, reading was quite nice…no heavy book to fumble with, turning pages was a lot more easier with one finger, but I kept hitting the page forward and back buttons a lot, I was getting mad. I just had to keep adjusting my hands to keep that from happening, so it is something you will have to play with. I noticed on the 2009 model, the forward and back buttons are going to be a lot smaller…a big plus on that one! I was able to really get into the story, I read for hours into the wee morning…and I remembered about how to check the time…alt+t and the time shows up on the bottom left for a few seconds…really nice. I liked how the fonts could change so easily. I read at 2…then when I got so tired but I had to keep reading and my eyes were complaining, I bumped up the font to 3. Then as I couldn't keep my eyes open another minute but had to still keep reading, bumped the font to 4…wow, way too big and I had to turn pages even more often…back to font 3 and told myself to wake up…I had to know what happened to the treasure that was found!

Okay, good e-reader, good book = really satisfied reader. Out of 5 stars, I give Kindle a 5 star rating. Very handy addition to the library. But really, I thought I would give away all my books…NOT. There is nothing like the real thing. As Bacardi Jim called books now that the Kindle is here "ANTIQUITIES "…Love that!!! My antiquities will be here also, got to keep Twain and JK and such on 'hard copies'…Also, what would the Bible be like without real dead wood pages, or Cookbooks. Could you imagine getting food splatters on Kindle in the kitchen while mixing up a cake batter!!! I think that Kindle will be used most, and Books will always be the 'wave of the future'.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Nice review, Sailor, thanks!

Just two points:

1. When you buy a book from the Kindle, it comes up with a confirmation page that gives you the option to cancel the order. So if you do click buy by accident (when you want a sample) you can cancel the order right away.

2. When you say "the 2009 model with smaller buttons"...if you are referring to the pictures that were posted on the Boy Genius Report not too long ago...I am completely convinced those pictures are fakes. I don't think that is what the next gen Kindle will look like, at all.

L

·
Registered
223 Posts
sailor said:

Also, what would the Bible be like without real dead wood pages,
Congratulations on receiving Kinny!

I have TWO bibles on my Kindle--TNIV and TNLB. The books and chapters are linkable, and you can list the books in alphabetical order or "regular" order. You can also make bookmarks, so I have bookmarked the beginning of Psalms because I'm in Psalms every day.

The one thing I DON'T like is that the TNLB has the words of Christ in red (which comes out light gray on the K). It's not impossible to read, but it IS harder to read.

Try it...you might like it! :)

Edited: I might add, however, that not all Kindle Bibles are the same--some have linked books and chapters and some do NOT! Buyer, beware...read the reviews!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eclectic Reader said:
I have TWO bibles on my Kindle--TNIV and TNLB. The books and chapters are linkable, and you can list the books in alphabetical order or "regular" order. You can also make bookmarks, so I have bookmarked the beginning of Psalms because I'm in Psalms every day.

The one thing I DON'T like is that the TNLB has the words of Christ in red (which comes out light gray on the K). It's not impossible to read, but it IS harder to read.

Try it...you might like it! :)
I know I want to get a Bible for Kindle, I just don't know which one will work right...some issues I've read are that they read like books start to finish and you can't get chapter and verse...I wouldn't like the light grey words...too hard for me, I like things 'the easier the better'. I know I would love to carry the bible with me on kindle instead of my little 'ancient' paper one for my purse...it sure takes a beating. I will download a sample of TNIV and see how that works for me. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Congratulations Sailor!!!

You mentioned the User's Guide. That was a strange thing with my Kindle. When I received mine the thing on the front said it would go to the User's Guide and all the business about charging it, etc. I turned it on and charged it. But for the life of me, I couldn't find any User's Guide. Then a couple weeks later, I took advantage of Jeff's wonderful offer of his book and emailed the book to have it sent to my Kindle. Amazon sent me Jeff's book that I had emailed & also the User's Guide. That's why I couldn't find it!!!

The funny thing was the day I received my Kindle I purchased a book from Amazon and with that puchase I didn't receive the User's Guide. It was about two weeks later.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 29 Posts