Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly used K1 for sale.  $225, plus shipping.  Had about a year.  Comes with the original box, cover, USB, and charger.  Shipping will depend on where you live, but probably around $10 for Priority Mail® Regular Flat-Rate.  Is in wonderful condition and I love it, but I must have the latest gadget and need to offset the cost of my K2.  Please PM me with any questions.  I have a picture, but am apparently not technical savy enough to figure out how to add it on this post.

I have been told that if you wait to register and turn on the whispernet (?) you can read the books that I have already paid for and downloaded (please correct me if I'm wrong).  If that's the case then it has the following books:

Kindle User’s Guide
Second Glance Jodi Picoult
The 19th Wife David Ebershoff
Plain Truth Jodi Picoult
The South Beach Diet Arthur Agatston
All Through the Night Suzanne Brockmann
Lone Survivor Marcus Luttrell
The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini
Nineteen Minutes Jodi Picoult
New Moon Stephenie Meyer
Audition Barbara Walters
Picture Perfect Jodi Picoult
7th Heaven James Patterson
Art of Racing in the Rain Garth Stein
Twilight Stephenie Meyer
The Year of the Fog Michelle Richmond
Mercy Jodi Picoult
Life of Pi Yann Martel
Identity: Unknown Suzanne Brockmann
The Host Stephenie Meyer
Anansi Boys Neil Gaiman
Embraced by Love Suzanne Brockmann
The Dirty Girls Social Club Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez
Women & Money Suze Orman
Force of Nature Suzanne Brockmann
Perfect Match Jodi Picoult
The Pact Jodi Picoult
Ask Again Later Jill A. Davis
Salem Falls Jodi Picoult
Eclipse Stephenie Meyer
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything Janelle Brown
Water for Elephants Sara Gruen
Are You There, Vodka Chelsea Handler
America America Ethan Canin
Just Breathe Susan Wiggs
6th Target James Patterson
Breaking Dawn Stephenie Meyer
My Horizontal Life Chelsea Handler
The Admiral’s Bride Suzanne Brockmann
Forbidden Suzanne Brockmann
My Sister’s Keeper Jodi Picoult
Change of Heart Jodi Picoult
The 5th Horseman James Patterson
Songs of the Humpback Whale Jodi Picoult
Smoke, Mirrors, and Murder Ann Rule
Price of Passion Susan Napier
His Lady Mistress Elizabeth Rolls
Irresistible Forces Brenda Jackson
A Very Special Delivery Linda Goodnight
Those Who Save Us Jenna Blum
UR Stephen King
Once a Cowboy Linda Warren
Caught Stealing Charlie Huston
Baby Bonanza Maureen Child
Six Bad Things Charlie Huston
A Dangerous Man Charlie Huston
The Idiot Girl and the Flaming
Tantrum of Death Laurie Notaro
Murder List Julie Garwood
Speed Dating Nancy Warren
Prague Arthur Phillips
Home Spun Bride Jillian Hart
Stranded with a Spy Merline Loveland
Slow Hands Leslie Kelly
Free-Range Chickens Simon Rich
The Foreign Correspondent Alan Furst

Plus over 250 Samples I've Downloaded!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Stinsmom, can you clarify? Is this the same Kindle you are selling in another thread for $240 and you've lowered the price? Or do you have two Kindles for sale?

If this is the same one, let me know and I will delete the other thread.

Thanks,

Leslie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leslie said:
Stinsmom, can you clarify? Is this the same Kindle you are selling in another thread for $240 and you've lowered the price? Or do you have two Kindles for sale?

If this is the same one, let me know and I will delete the other thread.

Thanks,

Leslie
Ooops! Sorry! It is the same one. I just lowered the price and added the books that was on it. Sorry about that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's how I understand it as well.  If they register it then they will be gone.  So if you want to read the books that are on it, you will have to wait to register until it after you have read them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
No. They won't lose the books when it's registered onto a new account. They'll only lose the books when they delete them. Once they delete them, they can't get them back. The books WILL remain on there until such time (or until Amazon changes this, but for now, this is a myth..I've tested and retested this SEVERAL times)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
journeyjane said:
Pepole can think what they will--I have checked repeatedly with Amazon, and my understanding is that books are not available to a new owner. You can think what you will, but I personally would not count on the books arriving with the Kindle.
How would it be any different than if I just handed my Kindle to my mom and she never registered it or went on whispernet. How would the Kindle know to delete the books? How would it know that the Kindle is no longer on my account?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
journeyjane said:
We could go on and on with this topic...I sent Amazon Customer Service a very detailed question just a few days ago concerning selling a Kindle, and they said that when the Kindle is registered under a new name the books are not available to the new owner. I would not count on receiving any books that are currently on a Kindle when someone purchases a used Kindle. Different people may have different thoughts on this, I'm just saying what I was told by Customer Service. I would not want a buyer of a used Kindle to be disappointed when the books are not available. These are my last thoughts on this matter.

Jane in Indianapolis
Thanks for the insight. It is appreciated. I was just asking out of curiosity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
journeyjane said:
Pepole can think what they will--I have checked repeatedly with Amazon, and my understanding is that books are not available to a new owner. You can think what you will, but I personally would not count on the books arriving with the Kindle.
I register and de-register my Kindle between 2 accounts constantly and I have the books from both accounts. I have NEVER lost access to any of my books. Again, I've tested this repeatedly.

If you're wondering why I do this, it's because I have a 14yr old on my account and I'd rather not have her reading some of my more "adult" books. I deregister my Kindle from my account, register it on my husband's, I buy the books, download them via whispernet, and then deregister and reregister onto my own account. I've done this probably a dozen times since December.

I rarely tuen whispernet off. The only time Amazon has ever removed a book from my account is when I've returned it or had a problem with formatting.

Don't mean to threadjack..I just wanted you to know the books would be there for the new owner as things stand now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
journeyjane said:
We could go on and on with this topic...I sent Amazon Customer Service a very detailed question just a few days ago concerning selling a Kindle, and they said that when the Kindle is registered under a new name the books are not available to the new owner. I would not count on receiving any books that are currently on a Kindle when someone purchases a used Kindle. Different people may have different thoughts on this, I'm just saying what I was told by Customer Service. I would not want a buyer of a used Kindle to be disappointed when the books are not available. These are my last thoughts on this matter.

Jane in Indianapolis
Jane, I'm not trying to argue with you. I understand what Amazon has said. However, I've had a different experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
I don't t know the answer to this but if the books remain that is an added bonus. To have a definite answer we would need someone that has purchased a Klassic to post a reply.  :)

I don't think anyone is questioning what CS told you Jane but are speaking from their personal experience.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I don't t know the answer to this but if the books remain that is an added bonus. To have a definite answer we would need someone that has purchased a Klassic to post a reply. :)

I don't think anyone is questioning what CS told you Jane but are speaking from their personal experience.
Well, if someone wants to buy my K1, then I guess we could find out for sure. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,913 Posts
Customer Service will never tell you that including the books when selling a Kindle is OK. No doubt their agreements with publishers are very clear about the transfer of materials.

That said, I don't think it will ever be a priority for them to physically remove content from a Kindle that has been registered to another account. As long as you don't delete the book from the content manager, they should always be available.

It will be interesting to see if the same applies to K2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
journeyjane said:
I have to say one more thing--- :)--In reality, everyone has different tastes on what books they read, so this is probably a non-issue. I have a hard time seeing anyone buying a used Kindle based upon what books are on it.

--Jane in Indianapolis
Great point Jane, it is not the books, it is the device.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
I gave K1 to my mom and she registered it to her own account and my old books remained even though I removed it from mine.  Note: I told my mom that we could leave it on mine but she wanted it on hers in case she went nuts ordering.  I asked her to try on mine for awhile in case the other books vanished but she registered it to her account.  No issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Okay, here is your answer from someone who has purchased a used Kindle1 two weeks ago from a KB member.  The previous owner's books remained on the Kindle even after it was registered to the new owner, a family member.  However. within one day a problem developed with the screen.  Called CS and they immediately sent a replacement K1.  When the replacement was registered the only books where those that were purchased by the new owner through Amazon.  So, first hand, here are answers to three questions that have been asked on KB.

1.  Yes, books stay with K1.
2.  It is very important to buy a fairly new kindle. with plenty of warranty time.  Well worth paying a little more.
3.  Yes, K1's are still being replaced by K1's, not K2's yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
beachgrl said:
Okay, here is your answer from someone who has purchased a used Kindle1 two weeks ago from a KB member. The previous owner's books remained on the Kindle even after it was registered to the new owner, a family member. However. within one day a problem developed with the screen. Called CS and they immediately sent a replacement K1. When the replacement was registered the only books where those that were purchased by the new owner through Amazon. So, first hand, here are answers to three questions that have been asked on KB.

1. Yes, books stay with K1.
2. It is very important to buy a fairly new kindle. with plenty of warranty time. Well worth paying a little more.
3. Yes, K1's are still being replaced by K1's, not K2's yet.
Thanks beachgrl for the clarification!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Would you be willing to take $200?  If so, I am ready,willing and able to buy now!!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top