Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I published my first book on KDP/Amazon in February - 2nd in mid June. Sales started slow - 29 and 31 Feb march then grew to 4 a day on average. When I launched the 2nd book sales grew to 6-7 a day average (top day 22) now I know these aren't super numbers but then suddenly 3 days ago sales dropped to 1 1 1all of the 2nd book (see image)
Is this some function of the Amazon software giving my first book some advantage for like 6 months then cutting it off or some wother problem... is there a way around this sudden drop?
Thanks
https://photos.google.com/u/1/album/AF1QipPN6M7rvvPLHVSVqKny9ofx9L1py8-dhOQ1aVKr/photo/AF1QipOpYklErG5pBJb2tz0Gv2sNhLX7-2G_S4kHHKI-

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi, Peter! First, congratulations on getting your first 2 books out there. That's definitely an achievement, as are those very nice sales numbers for your first few months.

I'm a very small fish in the pond, but my experience is, sales will go up and down. My advice is to get your third book done and published, then start thinking about #4. Once you've got a sizeable catalog to offer, you can focus on doing some serious advertising and attract readers by showing them they've got a whole shelf full of new books to investigate.

I think most of the other folks here will tell you that this is a seriously unpredictable business, particularly for a newbie. I've been publishing on Amazon for 7 years this month, and I have yet to figure out a reliable predictor of sales -- genre, length, what's on the cover, what month/day I publish... It's all a crap shoot, but I'm trying to have fun with it and enjoy the ride.

Give it a few more weeks and see what happens. But again, get that third book out there!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Could be anything. The rumored "30 day cliff" on the second one, where your visibility will drop if there aren't a certain amount of sales driving it back up to higher visibility. Could also just be just the fickle nature of sales. I've seen drops and increases that I can't really pin to anything concrete necessarily. Like many, I don't advertise, so when you're dealing with more organic sales these drops and rises can happen.

A lot of authors use AMS and other ads to drive it back up.

There also was possibly a spike in overall eBook sales when the lockdowns started, which may or may not have helped your initial sales. Now maybe people are loaded on books, or there may be other factors.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Patience is the key and not panicking. Sales trends are extremely hard to predict. An example, my paperback sales have always been stronger than ebooks yet I advertise more on ebooks. I have had slow months and them spikes for identifiable reason.

Sometimes you have to kick start visibility with an ad campaign or promotion.

Best advice is to keep writing. If you really are fussed about it there is a lot you can try so use all the tools in box.

Mark

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

The only thing you can reliably control is writing that next book.

There are seasonal trends to book buying in normal years, this year is really a random guess as everything is upside down. Where readers may have planned to buy some books in August for the fall they could be all 'read out' from lockup and seeking the last activities outdoors and away from books.

Write that next page, the next chapter, the next book ... and publish.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
jvin248 said:

The only thing you can reliably control is writing that next book.
This right here. Nothing sells a book better than a sequel. And the sooner the better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.