Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
I don't think it's dishonest. It's up to each author how to tabulate their sales. Personally I have 3 totals. Sales. KU reads and the two combined. I divide my pages read by the KENPC to approximate a sales number. In reality, that's a conservative number of "sales" since it presupposes a full read before its counted, when most people probably don't read all the way through. If I added sales + borrows (assuming Amazon ever told us that figure) then my total sales would probably be a lot higher.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Redgum said:
Because I don't use KU I don't know exactly how it works - I presume an author knows how many people borrow the books, and how many get paid for?
No. Amazon won't release number of borrows, they keep that data to themselves. Authors only see number of pages read for each title. I keep track of total pages read, and approximate that as a number of sales. Or perhaps the author you saw was dividing pages read by KENPC and calling that "borrows"? Which would be a conservative number, since not every borrow will result in a full read through.

Personally I don't use sales/pages read/borrows as marketing copy. I track those numbers purely for myself and so I can make business decisions about Select vs wide.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts