Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that my sales have been practically non existant, but...I have had two friends buy copies of my book ( one on Nook the other on Kindle) both over a week ago and neither sales have shown up on my reports. I know this because I haven't shown any sales at all since November  :-[ . Has anyone else had this problem and is the reason that I haven't had any sales is that none are being reported?  :mad:

And while I'm venting...I changed my price back to $4.99 (I was running a sale for $2.99). The change shows on my dashboards, but not on the buyer page.  :mad:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I know it happened one time in September but not through my KDP account.  I published in August.  A family member purchased my book and messaged me through F/B how much she looked forward to reading it.  I check my accounts in the morning over coffee and print off a report when there is a transaction for my records and update accordingly.  I noticed ove a few days C/S never reported the sale.  I messaged my family member and they sent me copies of their UPS tracking number, reciept and confirmation numbers...still no sale reported.  I messaged C/S customer service with all of the number; tracking number, purchase order, dates, name explained it was my family...I even had a picture of her holding the book.  No dice.  The response, "Our records indicate no sale was made on that date."  Oh well, can't fight city hall.  I think it happened one time before  that.  I noticed my paperback ranking sharply rose one day, I was excited...I did my "I sold a book dance..." but the report still reflected the total units sold prior to the sharp jump.    I figured even with the reciepts and ID numbers they still wouldn't listen to me.  It wasn't worth the stress over the few dollars.  I mean if it were a few hundred or something...yes.  But, sales do fall through the cracks on occasion.  Overall, my confidence still remains very high.  I am still grateful for the chance to: produce/publish/sell my own work.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
J. Alan Stephens said:
I know that my sales have been practically non existant, but...I have had two friends buy copies of my book ( one on Nook the other on Kindle) both over a week ago and neither sales have shown up on my reports. I know this because I haven't shown any sales at all since November :-[ . Has anyone else had this problem and is the reason that I haven't had any sales is that none are being reported? :mad:

And while I'm venting...I changed my price back to $4.99 (I was running a sale for $2.99). The change shows on my dashboards, but not on the buyer page. :mad:
The price change will show up on the bookshelf only while the book is still in processing. It won't show up on the book page until the publication process finishes, which can take a few hours, a day, or sometimes more than a day. Once the book is "live" on your bookshelf, then the price on the bookshelf should match the price on the book page. If it doesn't, you should contact KDP and ask them what the heck is up!

On friends/family buying your book ... I'm going to say the awful thing, so prepare yourself: unless you see it open on their Kindle, assume they didn't really buy it. I think that's the true explanation far more often the awful situation Christian describes -- Createspace or Amazon or B&N clearly not giving credit for a sale. People feel like they should buy your book and so they say they have, even if they haven't gotten around to it or don't really intend to do it. They're not aware that we're able to watch the sales come in as closely as we can.

My response to friends/family who are interested in my book: "I'm so flattered that you're interested! You can get it on Amazon, but I really don't expect you to -- I know it's not the kind of thing you usually read." Then I never bring it up or think about it again.

I mean, seriously, I think people say "I want to read it" as an almost knee-jerk reaction. When my sister-in-law was visiting over the holidays, she was all excited about my book and said she wanted a copy. So I got a paperback off the shelf, said my standard line, and gave it to her. She thanked me excitedly, set it down on the dining room table, and proceeded to walk by it at least 50 times, including on the way out of the house when her visit was over. That's just the way people are.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
No help on the missing sale if you are sure they bought it--maybe it was earlier than you thought and was an old sale.

On the price, are you being price matched? Once publishing is complete, if your price is still lower than you set it, then Amazon thinks it is for sale cheaper somewhere else. Do a thorough search, and if you find nothing, email KDP and let them know their price is wrong. They will change it very quickly if they verify that there is no other venue selling it for less.

Sony and Google Play are notorious for sudden unexpected and unauthorized price drops.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Amazon will give you credit if you contact the reader and ask them to provide Amazon with the confirmation number.  However, I would think carefully about this. It could very well be that someone just said they bought it and didn't really because they wanted to make you feel good.  If you ask them to provide the confirmation number to Amazon and they haven't bought it, that could really embarrass them and create a rift. If they are good at lying they will just say they didn't keep the confirmation e-mail, but if they aren't they will sputter and admit they didn't buy it and now you both have an uncomfortable situaion.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Becca Mills said:
The price change will show up on the bookshelf only while the book is still in processing. It won't show up on the book page until the publication process finishes, which can take a few hours, a day, or sometimes more than a day. Once the book is "live" on your bookshelf, then the price on the bookshelf should match the price on the book page. If it doesn't, you should contact KDP and ask them what the heck is up!

On friends/family buying your book ... I'm going to say the awful thing, so prepare yourself: unless you see it open on their Kindle, assume they didn't really buy it. I think that's the true explanation far more often the awful situation Christian describes -- Createspace or Amazon or B&N clearly not giving credit for a sale. People feel like they should buy your book and so they say they have, even if they haven't gotten around to it or don't really intend to do it. They're not aware that we're able to watch the sales come in as closely as we can.

My response to friends/family who are interested in my book: "I'm so flattered that you're interested! You can get it on Amazon, but I really don't expect you to -- I know it's not the kind of thing you usually read." Then I never bring it up or think about it again.

I mean, seriously, I think people say "I want to read it" as an almost knee-jerk reaction. When my sister-in-law was visiting over the holidays, she was all excited about my book and said she wanted a copy. So I got a paperback off the shelf, said my standard line, and gave it to her. She thanked me excitedly, set it down on the dining room table, and proceeded to walk by it at least 50 times, including on the way out of the house when her visit was over. That's just the way people are.
I let it rent space in my head for a day or two. I was bummed. It was family. I put an asterisk at the bottom of my monthly report and remember to count that sale....that way when I hit 999 official sales I can say, "No, I am at 1,000" Blood wanted to shoot out of my eyes, "Our records aren't showing a sale for this date." I think I broke my Cap Lock button when I hit it to reply back, "I'm holding a copy of your records!"...they put me in touch with a "supervisor" probably the person in the cubicle next to them...same thing. "Can we assist you any further?" *sigh* no. but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Caddy said:
Amazon will give you credit if you contact the reader and ask them to provide Amazon with the confirmation number. However, I would think carefully about this. It could very well be that someone just said they bought it and didn't really because they wanted to make you feel good. If you ask them to provide the confirmation number to Amazon and they haven't bought it, that could really embarrass them and create a rift. If they are good at lying they will just say they didn't keep the confirmation e-mail, but if they aren't they will sputter and admit they didn't buy it and now you both have an uncomfortable situaion.
I did that, it didn't work. But resistance is futile. Kind of like when I was in kindergarden. My class was involved in a heated food-fight. I was good, I liked my lunch and didn't toss any gapes. We all got in trouble. I told the teacher I didn't throw food, even produced a witness to the fact with a strong alibi...did no good. I still got in trouble. Their records said no sale. It hasn't happened *knock on wood* since.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
Christian Price said:
I let it rent space in my head for a day or two. I was bummed. It was family. I put an asterisk at the bottom of my monthly report and remember to count that sale....that way when I hit 999 official sales I can say, "No, I am at 1,000" Blood wanted to shoot out of my eyes, "Our records aren't showing a sale for this date." I think I broke my Cap Lock button when I hit it to reply back, "I'm holding a copy of your records!"...they put me in touch with a "supervisor" probably the person in the cubicle next to them...same thing. "Can we assist you any further?" *sigh* no. but thanks anyway.
Yeah, that has to be incredibly frustrating. But hey, at least you *know* that person got your book, even if you didn't get official credit for it. That's one more person who can read it, review it, recommend it, if they so choose.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I agree with Becca. Except for the anonymous guy in Walla Walla or wherever, I can probably account for each sale. I had lunch with a friend and I saw him one-click, and the sale showed up later. If you didn't see them hit the button, they probably didn't buy it.

It's similar to all those years you patronized your friends'/co-workers'/neighbors'/in-laws' kids by purchasing their wrapping paper, or chocolate bars, or Girl Scout cookies. The day you bring your child's stuff to the office: goose egg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the helpful feedback. In the case of the Kindle sale, I actually saw my book on her phone & she bought it the last week in Dec. I have checked both Dec & Jan rebports, but no sale. I have no reason to doubt my friend with the Nook either. My concern is that if it were "hundreds " of sales I would have no way of knowing. :mad:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should have checked my report prior to my las post. A sale has mysteriously appeared... Someone must be watching ;) Also, KDP did reply to my email concerning the price change; they are price matching. Looks like B&N didn't lower their price either.  :mad: I am not impressed with them thus far since leaving Select. Loved the video BTW.  ;D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Becca Mills said:
Yeah, that has to be incredibly frustrating. But hey, at least you *know* that person got your book, even if you didn't get official credit for it. That's one more person who can read it, review it, recommend it, if they so choose.
Yeah! OP got credit for his work!

Me my story didn't have a happy ending like the OP. My lost coinage story remains a mystery... I counted the sale even if it wasn't earned income. It will always be "what if" what if, I got credit for that sale...it's the difference between 1,000 and 999. Or 50,000 and 49,999.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts