Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize for a lot of indie writers, Amazon is king. Amazon is where they make the majority of their money. That's not my case, where I make about 30 to 40 percent of my writing income through Amazon. I'm not suggesting my situation is unique, though it does seem to be not quite the norm (if there is such a thing for indie writers).

That being said, there's one thing I've noticed over the last year or so after dropping my use of Select early last year. It seems every time there is some change at Amazon (whether real or imagined, because often we don't know if there has been any actual change, though it might seem so), my sales at Amazon seem to take a hit. Then I have to work to build back up my sales, and something else seemingly changes and I drop back down again.

I'm not griping about that, honestly, though it can be frustrating.

What has really intrigued me, however, is that at most of the other sites that allow for distribution of indie writer works, I don't have this situation. In fact, I don't have to do much of anything, just put up my books and/or e-books and leave things alone. And guess what? Gradually, my sales go up over time. Each month is better than the last. Through Pubit I'm earning right at what I earn through KDP. Sony is treating me well, and sometimes so does Kobo, though Apple seems to ignore me for the most part. Even my direct sales through Smashwords have improved.

I'm curious, anyone else have a similar situation?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
While Amazon is still king of the cash hill, my KOBO, Apple and B&N sales are growing slowly month over month.

There's no obvious reason why as far my works, but I do agree that these other outlets are gaining steam.

If I had to guess, it would be because most of the I-write-to-win-the-Amazon-lottery authors aren't even aware that the other outlets exist. This translates into fewer new releases and less competition on these other sites. It seems like I read somewhere (can't remember where) that B&N offers 500,000 ebooks. That has to be 25% of what Amazon offers? I don't know the numbers, but my guess is that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
From the middle of last year until December I was selling far more at other sites than at Amazon. Then suddenly sales at those sites dropped to almost nothing and I was selling more at Amazon. So I have no idea how that works.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Amazon definitely is my main channel, but Barnes and Noble came out of nowhere in February and is on track to double that again in March. To give you a frame of reference, my big month on B&N previous to February was $18. I made $18 just today- and I'm having consistent sales everyday.

I attribute it to having a permafree title that went live there at the end of January. I'm pretty much kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner. I wanted to wait until the trilogy was complete and then I sat on it for another two months before pulling the trigger. Oh well- hindsight is 20/20.

I don't get a lot of love from Apple. I'm starting to see a sale occasionally on SW directly too. I feel like I might finally have a little bit of momentum.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Apple and B&N have been very good to me so far this year. My first few months publishing at the end of 2012 were dominated by Amazon, but now it's slipping back down to around 50% or lower of my total income from writing.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
My sales are typically 40% amazon (us and uk combined) 25% BN, and 35% itunes and other outlets through smashwords (the majority being itunes.)  It's been this way for more than a year.

G

·
My sales ratio regarding Amazon vs. other channels is pretty much 100 to 1, and I have no idea how to improve the sales through Apple, Kobo and B&N.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Shane Murray said:
B&N seems to require U.S. citizenship. Does smashwords / draft2digital get around that?
You can publish to B&N through both Smashwords and D2D from outside US, Shane. Good luck with your upcoming release. :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
My percentage of sales at Kindle US keeps dropping as the other markets increase. My B&N pubit sales will probably exceed my Amazon UK sales this month, but still a long way off from Amazon US.

Yes, I think the constant changes in algorithms and having to make changes in ads and other tactics on Amazon is a lot of work. And I funnel traffic mostly to Amazon US.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've only got one title across markets outside of Amazon, but they, combined, are barely over 10%.

It's early days for me on those platforms, as I'm new to those marketplaces as a brand, so I'm sure they'll continue to grow. But overall I don't expect to see anything more than a gradual change.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Amazon (all geos) usually averages 60% of all sales for me.  B&N is second with about 25%.  All other platforms make up the remaining 15%.

Having said that, sales on B&N took a while to catch up and become that 25%.  Here are my B&N payments since April 2011, when I bypassed SW and first published straight to PubIt.  You can see it took a while to take off, peak, then settle out. 

Payment Date Amount($)
Mar-13 $674.66
Jan-13 $634.50
Dec-12 $722.55
Nov-12 $873.40
Oct-12 $1,159.59
Sep-12 $1,265.79
Aug-12 $1,465.20
Jul-12 $1,405.00
Jun-12 $1,427.02
May-12 $1,573.34
Apr-12 $1,200.43
Mar-12 $956.32
Feb-12 $623.51
Jan-12 $225.97
Dec-11 $22.65
Nov-11 $49.18
Oct-11 $29.12
Sep-11 $26.53
Aug-11 $36.23
Jul-11 $44.06
Jun-11 $27.46
Apr-11 $13.58

Interestingly, none of the dates above coincide with promotion efforts or publication dates of my titles.  Book 3 of the trilogy was released in Oct 2011.  It seems like it took a while for my books to be discovered there, but when they were, they took off. 

Now I just need to get my next book out there to help re-lift sales!  :D

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Loved all three of your Peace Warrior books, Steven!

Okay, my fan boy moment is over. You may return to the more intelligent posts.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I sell more paperback copies than Kindle copies. And I also sell more through PubIt than through Kindle.

I'd say for me it's like this:
Paperback
Nook
Kindle
Apple
Kobo
SW

Although the Apple and Kindle rankings are poised to change. I sell only slightly more through Kindle than through Apple, and my Apple sales keep getting stronger every month.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Shane Murray said:
Interesting thread for me. Publish first book in a few weeks and I am torn as to whether I should go select or not...
Shane, you only have to sign up to Select for 3 months at a time, so you could try it for a bit and then decide to distribute more widely. I currently have three of my titles in Select. I am trying a free promo on one of them at the weekend, but so far it hasn't had enough of an effect for me to keep my books there. I think the best thing about Select is the loan fund, because if people borrow your book Amazon pays more per borrow than the royalty on a sale (so far!), and it's free advertising too.

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
My biggest-selling channel is Kobo (KWL), then B&N (through SW), then Amazon (US +UK). In January, my Kobo sales were 10x my Amazon sales.

The funny thing is that you never know when one channel will drop back. But at least you have the others to keep going.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Amazon was previously my best-selling channel. Last month I sold more books on B&N, for the first time in a couple of years. But things can change in a moment, and I don't know if that will continue or not. I've decided to have my books available at numerous venues, which seems safer than relying on a single retailer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts