Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the correct forum... and that it's not spam. If it is, someone please let me know and I'll delete it. :'(

Per Dean Wesley Smith at http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=4331 (the site appears to be down right now, unfortunately), indie writers who have more than a handful of titles selling on multiple sites have a problem: it's hard to figure out how much they're selling per book, per site, per month or a combination. He said it's taking quite a lot of his time, and he would be willing to pay for a program solving that problem for him. A large part of the problem is due to the fact that Kindle reports sales in one way, Smashwords in another and so on.

Well... (and here comes the maybe spammy part), there is such a program. Right now it can only handle a few report formats (Kindle is among them, of course), but it generates all the reports that Dean mentioned.

The program is only available for Windows (unfortunately, as I believe a lot of writers to be using Macs) and can be found at http://indietracking.com/

Again, please let me know if I should not post this here and I'll remove it. I just hope that it helps someone.

(Right now only a time-limited version is available, since it's still an alpha version and I haven't settled on a price yet. Dean indicated he would be willing to pay $200 for it - what do you think about that price? It probably wouldn't pay for someone just selling on Kindle, and only a couple of titles, but my hope is that it would be worth it for someone with a dozen titles on 4-5 sites.)

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Interesting product idea. (I'm assuming it is yours.) If you look at the stickies atop the Writer's Cafe, you'll see an "Authors Yellow Pages" (I may not have the exact title, but you can't miss it.) You might check to see if that is a place you can be listed. Best Wishes!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Well, personally, $200 would be well above what I could afford... even once I have that many titles. I mean, MS Office 2010 costs less.

I would say that while folks like Dean Wesley Smith can afford to drop that kind of money, if you want to capture a wide percentage of indie writers, you'll want a much lower price than that.

$49.99 would be tops; lower than that, even better. I think a sweet spot for sales is probably around $19.99. More than that, and you're not going to get volume sales.

So if your business plan is to cater to the Dean Wesley Smiths of the world, selling 50 units or so at $200 each might work for you. ($10,000)

If your business plan is to capture a lot of indies, then there's something to be said for selling 2000 units at $20. ($40,000)

But only you know what your business plan is...

·
Registered
613 Posts
No interest here (I'm a reader after all), but I think while it could interest many writers, 200$ is too much for authors who have only a few titles (although they  don't have the problem since they'll be able to do their own "few titles" reporting. However, maybe you could propose a few "versions", limited in the number of titles they take in : 5-10, 10-20, 20+ with different price points ... (and options to upgrade)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for replying. I am against the tier-pricing idea - too much like hardcover / paperback, to stay on topic ;) - so I think I'll adopt the $49.99 price. (I don't think the potential market is 2000 people, especially since I'm limited to a Windows version for now, though I would be ecstatic if that were true.)

My target is the indie who has more than a couple sites he's selling on, and at least a dozen titles - manually importing data from several differently formatted spreadsheets gets annoying quickly, and you need to do that if you want to see how well a specific book is doing across sites, month to month (to give one example).

Thanks again for your comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts