Kindle Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Merlyn said:
I'd love to be able to donate Kindle books I've written to troops deployed in war zones. Anyone know how? I'm new to this forum, so if something is general knowledge here, I may not have been aware.
From EbooksForTroops.org:

We do not currently have an authors program, but we anticipate adding an authors section to our website in the upcoming months in an effort to connect our soldiers with authors who are willing to provide donated content to our troops. If you are an author who would like to be notified when we launch this section of our website, please contact us and provide us with your name, contact information. and any other relevant information.

So today after work, I take my boxed up Kindle and 2 cases to the post office to ship.  The post office guy behind the counter sees the "E-Books for Troops" on the address label.  He says "What's that?".  I explain it to him.  He then says it's silly since you can get used free paperbacks.  :-\

I didn't even have the energy to respond.  I had to get out of there.

laurie_lu said:
So today after work, I take my boxed up Kindle and 2 cases to the post office to ship. The post office guy behind the counter sees the "E-Books for Troops" on the address label. He says "What's that?". I explain it to him. He then says it's silly since you can get used free paperbacks. :-\
It sounds like they won't send your cases...

Once we receive your Kindle we will do a final review of its condition, which includes a full factory restore to ensure there is no personally identifiable data on your Kindle, and package it for shipment along with a Kindle case and light donated by M-Edge Accessories in our next delivery to a sponsored unit.

Please note: We understand businesses and individuals may for good reasons want to include other items with their K4T donation that would benefit our military members, but we do not accept or pass-along any third-party items to our sponsored units that fall outside the scope of our K4T program.

BrokenR1 said:
Are the first generations that bad? I read their reason but it doesn't seem valid to me?
It's not a question of bad. . . .but the newest 1st Gen Kindles are at least 2½ years old; I don't think Amazon even has any left! They don't hold nearly as many books (only about 400 vs 1500 or 3500 for the 2nd and 3rd Gen devices), and the control system is Very Different and not nearly as versatile as newer models. For instance, they can't run any of the active content like the games and 'apps' that are coming out now. Also, the shape is very different and there aren't many manufacturers who sitll have cases available for them; the one that came with is, at best, adequate. :-\

So, while many of them still work just fine, I understand why the organization doesn't want to accept them.

It occurs to me that a Kindle model ideal for children might also be ideal for the military: both group's Kindles are subject to rough handling. Some of the displays in the works look like they would be a lot more durable than current displays.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.