Kindle Forum banner

Salute! Kindles in the military

2K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  QuantumIguana 
#1 ·
Our son is a Marine, finishing up his training in Arkansas.  We sent him a Kindle for his upcoming birthday.  He left books behind in Pensacola as it cost too much to ship them home when he couldn't take them with him.  We went with the 3G, as getting WiFi is not always possible for him.

Kindles, are great gifts for the military in the family.  And from now on, we think we can gift him a book instantly, instead of buying it and then having it shipped.  Thank you Kindle (and I suppose Nook, et al)!

Has anyone else sent a Kindle to a military family member, or is serving in the military and has a Kindle?  How as that worked out for you?  Does the 3G work overseas?

Thanks!

#28 ·
BrokenR1 said:
Are the first generations that bad? I read their reason but it doesn't seem valid to me?
It's not a question of bad. . . .but the newest 1st Gen Kindles are at least 2½ years old; I don't think Amazon even has any left! They don't hold nearly as many books (only about 400 vs 1500 or 3500 for the 2nd and 3rd Gen devices), and the control system is Very Different and not nearly as versatile as newer models. For instance, they can't run any of the active content like the games and 'apps' that are coming out now. Also, the shape is very different and there aren't many manufacturers who sitll have cases available for them; the one that came with is, at best, adequate. :-\

So, while many of them still work just fine, I understand why the organization doesn't want to accept them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.