Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped in on Amazon and the first thing that caught my eye was a question about the font size on the Kindle, how to change it, does it cause a glare, will I need my glasses??  :-\ Leslie I can't tell you how many times I use your book STILL to look up answers I have to questions. There does seem to be less activity over there... anyone else think so?

Linda

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JAH, you have a point there & I know I asked my share of questions. I think one reason is when we receive our Kindle we are so excited we don't take the time to read the instructions. I was so anxious to start a book I did it all backwards. I'm guilty too!

Linda

·
Registered
364 Posts
The only reason that I feel more at ease here is because some of the people on the amazon broad are get a little unfrindly at times.  I feel I can post here with out being snap at for my thought.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
jah said:
The only reason that I feel more at ease here is because some of the people on the amazon broad are get a little unfrindly at times. I feel I can post here with out being snap at for my thought.
Yes, we will try to keep it all very civil and friendly. Questions are welcome, too!

L

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
jah said:
The only reason that I feel more at ease here is because some of the people on the amazon broad are get a little unfrindly at times. I feel I can post here with out being snap at for my thought.
Yeah, but I try to give the Amazon people a little slack, because it can be very trying to see the same question day after day (almost hour after hour) by people that zoom in and don't bother to look at any previous threads or read the manual before they ask a question. I've sworn off the forums there several times after getting exasperated.

To put this in perspective, I used to read the operator's manual of cars I was going to buy before I would sign the papers. Maybe I'm just a careful shopper. I read the Kindle manual before I ordered it, also. It's the only way I can get info on whether something will do what I expect, there is way too much spin in product descriptions and advertisements.

Yes, I'm an engineering type. ;D ;D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I remember Back In The Day...

The two to three week wait for delivery...
(This was January/February)
Long before instant-Kindle-gratification arrived...

I drove myself crazy looking at the online manual, reading everything on the discussion board, and perusing the Amazon site.  By the time that little wonder arrived I felt I knew 95 percent of how it worked. 

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I read the PDF of the User's Guide before my Kindle arrived as well.  So I completely don't get why some of the questions get asked on the Amazon forums.  I've only rarely seen a question about how it works that isn't addressed in the users guide.  And when I got mine (July), Mr. Windwalker was still putting finishing touches on his Complete guide so I was able to get it free. . .it pretty much told me anything the OEM guide didn't.

OTOH, because there's no efficient search tool, and there are literally thousands of threads, it's not surprising the same questions keep getting asked. 

This world is much better!

Ann

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
I read the PDF of the User's Guide before my Kindle arrived as well. So I completely don't get why some of the questions get asked on the Amazon forums. I've only rarely seen a question about how it works that isn't addressed in the users guide. And when I got mine (July), Mr. Windwalker was still putting finishing touches on his Complete guide so I was able to get it free. . .it pretty much told me anything the OEM guide didn't.

OTOH, because there's no efficient search tool, and there are literally thousands of threads, it's not surprising the same questions keep getting asked.

This world is much better!

Ann
Yup, amazon isn't really the best set up as a 'message board' . I go there looking for quick answers so it's going to have those problems. When I want to find the real deal I find a message board like this :D

Bah I can't wait to get my Kindle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
GuidedRocketLauncher said:
I remember Back In The Day...

The two to three week wait for delivery...
(This was January/February)
Long before instant-Kindle-gratification arrived...

I drove myself crazy looking at the online manual, reading everything on the discussion board, and perusing the Amazon site. By the time that little wonder arrived I felt I knew 95 percent of how it worked.
Same here, though my wait was 5-6 weeks. I watched all the videos and read most of the reviews before I ordered (I gave up on the negative reviews when it became apparent that they were non-owners or simply Apple fanboys). After ordering, I still kept reading the board because it helped ease the pain of the seemingly endless waiting, and because I wanted to know everything I could about the Kindle so I could "hit the ground running" when it finally arrived. I didn't want to waste a minute reading the "instructions" when I could be reading BOOKS on my Kindle. lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have begun to think that a lot of the posts on the Amazon board are from trolls, who -- now that they know that asking the same questions over and over annoy some of us -- are going out of their way to post questions that they know will annoy some of us.

So maybe it's better to just ignore the repeated questions, instead of expressing anger. That just feeds the trolls.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Khabita said:
I have begun to think that a lot of the posts on the Amazon board are from trolls, who -- now that they know that asking the same questions over and over annoy some of us -- are going out of their way to post questions that they know will annoy some of us.

So maybe it's better to just ignore the repeated questions, instead of expressing anger. That just feeds the trolls.
You may be right. But we have a nice safe forum here so...ask away if you have questions. Or just blab to your heart's content...

L

·
Registered
54 Posts
Although I don't have a kindle (I just got a Cybook Gen3), I wanted to chime in and say that, at least in the gadget world, refurbs are looked upon pretty highly.  Not only do they have the manufacturer's guarantee, but since they needed to be fixed they often undergo more extensive testing and quality control before being re-released into the market.  IMO, I don't think anyone should hesitate to pull the trigger on a Kindle if they're looking for one and one of them becomes available...

EDIT: Fixed typo

·
Registered
869 Posts
Badandy said:
Although I don't have a kindle (I just got a Cybook Gen3), I wanted to chime in and say that, at least in the gadget world, refurbs are looked upon pretty highly. Not only do they have the manufacturer's guarantee, but since they needed to be fixed they often undergo more extensive testing and quality control before being re-released into the market. IMO, I don't think anyone should hesitate to pull the trigger on a Kindle if they're looking for one and one of them becomes available...

EDIT: Fixed typo
Hi, Badandy -

You finally made your decision! What swayed you to the Cybook? I remember you posting here a short while ago asking about the differences between e-readers or something to that effect, and I answered some.

Glad to see you are still here,

Marci

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have never understood the sheer volume of posts over there from people who are just posting to say why they don't want a Kindle or just to criticize it. If I don't like something, I move on to greener pastures. Those posts combined with the "<insert another ebook reader here> is better!" posts are the ones that annoy me.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a great site because of the organization and the many great features Harvey has implemented. Bookklubs are one of my favorite new features! I find it very user friendly also.

And for the most part we are a nice, friendly bunch.  :)

Linda

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.