Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you keep track of how many samples you've read? I have a little notebook that I carry everywhere with me, and one thing I have been using it for is to keep track of what samples I've read. I have two lists -- very simply titled "Yes" and "No" -- and I list books by whether I liked the sample enough to buy the book or not.

I just got my very first Chase Amazon $25 gift card, so I went to my little notebook to see what book(s) I would treat myself to, and I counted up the books on each list. Here are the totals (since 9/4, when my Kindle arrived)

No --  49
Yes -- 89

So I've gone through amost 140 samples! And that's in addition to the books I've read both on my Kindle and in dead tree version.

Anyone else keeping track? I would be interested to see if my numbers are "normal" or "high" or "low".

Now, of course, this isn't getting me any closer to figuring out which of those 89 books I'm actually going to purchase!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I've never counted how many samples I've gone through. I download them as I find them. When I read through them, I just delete the ones I donn't like. I keep the ones I do like until I buy the book.

I do however have about 9 pages of samples, and maybe 1/2 of them are "keepers" and the other half haven't been read yet.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Interesting Khabita. I have read many samples, if I don't like I delete them , if I like them I keep them. I wish I had kept up with the number I've read.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I don't know how many samples I've already read, but I do know that there are more samples than I care to count sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read!  (I know it's way more than I've actually read.)  My method is that I grab the sample when something tickles my fancy or is recommended.  When I get around to reading the sample, I decide yea or nay.  If I'm interested in reading it later, I go to the Kindle store and put it on my Save For Later list.  Either way, the sample then gets deleted.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I never downloaded a sample. I still do it like I did when I bought the paper books, I read the description, if it sounds good then I download it. -Only ran across a couple that I ended up not liking.

G

·
I love the sample feature.  It will save me  a lot of head aches in the future.  I have a bunch ready to read.  All I need is my Kindle. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I might have to give it a try and see how I like it. My husband will probably think I am downloading the book twice now.ha.ha. :D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My friend figure out she could order samples on my Kindle, so now she's been downloading a bunch of sample for me to read. She also downloads a couple for herself. I haven't even started on them...

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I love samples. When anyone suggests a book to me, I immediately download a sample. That way, I don't have to worry about a piece of paper or remembering the name of the book. I have even downloaded samples of books that sound real iffy, figuring if a friend is taking the time to suggest them, I can certainly invest a few minutes of my time to read a page or two and see what I think.

I have samples on here I'll probably never get around to reading, but they are there in case I ever do. LOL

L

·
Registered
273 Posts
I rarely d/l samples.  I just love doing the research on the books I am considering.  I read the description, look at the reviews and go to the authors' websites. I also check the authors that I normally read because a lot of them talk about the books that they are reading. I have pick up some new books that way.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I've only downloaded one sample and that's because I was desperate to entertain a four year old. 

It was so cool, though.  First, children's books, then I think the next category was age, and she picked animals, then animals were divided into even more categories and we ended up with farm animals, finally sampling Janoose the Goose. 

I never bought it.  I wasn't about to spend $8 just to keep her happy in the car for 10 minutes. 

·
Registered
509 Posts
I sample just about every book that interests me. I've only rejected a few, mainly because of the evil T formatting....

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Sampling is one of my favorite things about the Kindle. I have no idea how many I have downloaded. I delete the ones that don't interest me. Never kept count.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I also love the samples but I am selective with these, almost as much as when I choose a book. I just finished my 2nd book on my K and have I think 3 Samples downloaded. It is very exciting to me to be able to now go and make my next choice. By only allowing myself to choose a new book after I finish the one I am reading, it gives me extra incentive to read more. I also do not want to read samples till I finish my book... I really don't want to be distracted from what I am reading at all. I am amazed by people that can read more than one book at a time, I do not get that at all!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Octochick said:
I also do not want to read the sample till I finish... I really don't want to be distracted from what I am reading at all.
It's the same as the author putting a chapter for the next book at the end of the one you're reading. When I read that sample chapter, I tend to forget if I've actually read the book. I stopped reading those end/beginning chapters. Too confusing for me.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Khabita said:
Do any of you keep track of how many samples you've read?
I haven't read any of the samples I've downloaded yet, too busy on Kindleboards!!

Betsy

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I haven't read any of the samples I've downloaded yet, too busy on Kindleboards!!

Betsy
LOL... I know what you mean. I have noticed that KindleBoards has greatly decreased my reading time!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Everytime someone recommends a book or author, I come on here and go to amazon and if the book looks good I will download the sample from the computer to the Kindle, that way I don't have to write down anything (I loose paper).

If I like the sample I will buy the book later on; but I have to ask Harvey 'if I download the sample through this website, when I buy the book through the sample with 0ne-click, if he will get the credit?' Otherwise I will just go back online through here and buy the book...haven't used the one click yet because I want Harvey to get all credits for my Amazon purchases of anything I buy there so I start my Amazon shopping through clicking on the amazon book link at the botton of this page.

I have about 7 kindle pages of free books and samples but I am only reading the one book now (The Treasure Of La Malinche by Jeffry S Hepple) before I read any other book. BUT, when I am at the dentist or somewhere else I have a short wait, I will read a sample book and I finish it in about the time it takes to get called in for my appointment.

I hope this made sense, it is a busy and LOUD Monday morning here at the shop...lots of chatter already and I can't hear myself think.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts