Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic asking if it helps to announce your book in the Book Bazaar reminded me to check on mine. Then I realized that I hadn't announced it!

Here is my book for your consideration.

SAT & BAF! Memories of a Tower Rat is a memoir of my two years providing security for the controversial Pershing II nuclear missiles in cold war Germany. I was there from 1986 to 1988 with C 2/4 Infantry, and it was a very interesting time to be in western Europe. We lived history.

This is a military memoir, but it is unlike most military memoirs. It's not a war story. It is what it was like to serve in Europe during the Cold War. Millions of us were there during that forty-five year period, and almost none of our stories have been told. I decided to tell mine for all of us because it was a story that needed to be told. I had an interesting time with a bunch of fascinating people, but it was by no means unique. I was one of millions. I've had many vets contact me to thank me.

There is enough military stuff to keep military enthusiasts entertained, enough romance to keep the lovers reading, enough action to keep you turning the pages, a variety of travel around Europe to share what I saw and did, and plenty of humor to keep you laughing. There is even a good bit of fighting and debauchery for you Animal House fans. Mostly, it's a story of brotherhood. We were an unusual unit with a vital real world mission. It was a terribly high stress unit, and this is the story of how we dealt with it. It's not always pretty, but it is brutally honest and always entertaining. If anybody out there served overseas in the Cold War or would like to know what it was like for us, you will love this book. This is what it looked like through my eyes as a very young man thousands of miles from home. This is my little slice of some very important history. It was written to be enjoyed by a wide audience.

It's available in paperback ($12.95) or Kindle ($2.99). The book has nine, five-star reviews from a wide variety of sources including people who are in the book. There is a facebook fan page for the book if anybody would like to learn more. It's linked in my signature. Many people from the unit are fans there, and they've made a lot of positive comments. I hope you check it out. This is the twenieth anniversay of the end of the Cold War. Take this chance to learn a bit about the men who won it.
Thanks,
Doug DePew

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Doug, and congratulations on your book!

(If you've gotten this welcome before, it's just as a matter of housekeeping. We like to put a copy of the "welcome letter" in each book thread. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it just helps us know that you know the rules.)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope everybody will check this book out for Father's Day. It's a perfect gift for anyone who served in the military in Germany. It's also discounted right now to $11.65 in paperback.

Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"SAT & BAF!" is registered for the new book showcase at the Beijing International Book Fair! It's at the end of August.

I don't have a Chinese translation, but it couldn't hurt to get it out there.
;D

Thanks to those of you who've purchased the book. The fan page for the book is excellent. Anybody who'd like to learn more about it will learn a lot there. A lot of guys from the unit are there, and some German fans are posting excellent pictures. If you'd like to check it out, here's a link:
Tower Rat Main Tango

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, everybody! It finally rained and cooled down a little around here this week.

Thanks to anybody who's bought my book. I appreciate every one of you, and I hope you're enjoying it. There's been quite a bit of activity over at the fan page, lately. If you'd like to learn more about "SAT & BAF!" I invite you to check it out. A link is in my signature or on the post above this. .

Thanks again!
Doug

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been over a week, so I'm bumping this back to the top in case you'd like to check it out. This book has been extremely popular with the people who were there. I just got another review on Amazon from a guy who was stationed in the same battalion at a different time if you'd like to see what he had to say.

Anybody who was stationed in Germany or has an interest in those who were would enjoy this book. I hope you check it out.
Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How is everybody doing?

Thanks to everybody who has bought "SAT & BAF!" this month. I hope you enjoy it. I highly recommend the fan page to anyone who isn't sure about buying it.

Thanks again.
Doug

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, Tara.

Anybody who'd like to find out more about the book should check out the fan page. It's linked up above and in my signature line. The fan page is great!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, everybody. I hope you're having a wonderful week so far.

I'm just moving my book back up to the top so people who would be interested can check it out. I think this book would appeal to anyone who served in Germany during the Cold War. Another couple guys from the unit just read it and have told me they loved it. I've been told dozens of times,"It's like reading a part of my life!"

It is very close to what actually happened. I hope you check it out.
Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! Has it been a week already?

I guess it's time to move this back up to the top. I was just contacted by a guy who worked with missiles on the other side of Germany from us. He was at the Fulda Gap. He told me that he's spreading to word to his friends that they should buy my book.

That's wonderful news to me. I'm glad the people who were over there like it.

Everybody have a great week!
Doug DePew

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, it's time to move this back up for everybody's consideration. I hope you check it out and if you buy it, I hope you enjoy it. "SAT & BAF!" just got a new customer review this weekend!

The weather has been beautiful around here, by the way. I had a full weekend with a parade, a festival, and a fortieth anniversary party for my wife's aunt and uncle all crowded in. It was a fun weekend.
Thanks,
Doug DePew

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Chiefs are winning! The Chiefs are winning!

That looks like as good a reason as any to move this back up to the top. Oh, it's been a week, also.
;D

I hope you'll check out "SAT & BAF! Memories of a Tower Rat". It's a light-hearted look at what was a deadly serious mission. This is an interesting book with eleven reviews on Amazon. It's $2.99 on Kindle.
Thanks,
Doug DePew

1 - 20 of 49 Posts