Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so last week I came crying for help with a locale (which was never identified, so far as I know, sorry to say). This week, I'm trying to fact-check something since my editor pointed out to me that an error could be angry-email-inducing.

The question is regarding syringes, specifically the color of the cap. How is the cap color determined?
By volume?
Gauge?
Brand?

I'm getting conflicting info from Google searches and I'm guaranteed to pick the wrong answer if I just guess and run with it.

Halp, please?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
My husband is diabetic and uses an insulin pen. The color of the pen needle indicates size (gauge and length). I would guess syringes would be the same, but I don't know. There surely must be some nurses or pharmacists out there with the answers.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, great example of the problem: on that same site, if you go into insulin syringes, you see two different brands of syringes. One has a red cap beside the syringe, another brand has orange caps.

The tips might be standardized to gauge and length, but the caps don't seem to be. Except I can't find anything specific to refute that either.

I never even thought about stupid syringe caps while I was writing the dang scenes. I can't believe this is even an issue, but it's sure turning out to be.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The ones I have - from B&D - all have transparent caps, with just the needle body colored, if that's any help. Makes me suspect it really is manufacturer-dependent.

And mine match the chart you posted - 25G 5/8" is blue.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Maybe it's different for purpose and brand name as well. Is it different for different countries as well I wonder?
Sorry I only gave you more questions  ???
I don't think it's common knowledge about color since people have different experiences with it. I don't think it would bother people. ::)
good luck

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, guys. I do appreciate the help and commiseration. What a silly thing to run into, this late in the day. I made one minor change, otherwise I'm running with the as-written version. I'm all devil-may-care about angry emails at this point.  :p

Next I get to figure out if the phrase "Lee-roy Jenkins" is copyright protected. Yay for commercial fiction!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts